What is better for Quads!?

FromAus

Awards
I'm an 18 year old lifter who has been goin to the gym since I was 16, but I have always wondered. What rep range is best for quads, I use to do 6-8 but I am trying 10-12 ( always aim for at least 12).

I know for calves because its an endurance muscle so I do around 20-25. But can someone please tell me is 10-12 better? I have just started it today and feel more of a pump.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
big BBer in my gym suggested going sets like 8x10.

So a lot of my stuff is 8x10, and I've noticed a lot of growth in my quads this year.

Calves... no idea.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm an 18 year old lifter who has been goin to the gym since I was 16, but I have always wondered. What rep range is best for quads, I use to do 6-8 but I am trying 10-12 ( always aim for at least 12).

I know for calves because its an endurance muscle so I do around 20-25. But can someone please tell me is 10-12 better? I have just started it today and feel more of a pump.
Depends on the individual. Whats your leg routine look like and what does your diet look like *I speak calories not meal list*.

I find leg day should be mixed with all 3 rep ranges. 6-12,12-20 and 20+. All depends on the person though. Hit us up with more info!

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
I like the 12-15 rep range for quads in the 6-8 set range. It works for me but you might respond better to something different.

The biggest thing to remember about quads and hammies is that they are BIG muscle groups and need alot of work-whether that means higher weight or higher volume. Just what ever you go with-be sure to go big.

I was blessed with big calves (16s currently and havent hit them directly in months) but when I work them I always go heavy and just lift till I get a good deep burn. Be sure to squeeze them as hard as you can-it should feel like your about to cramp them up. I do this for as many sets as I can get with good form. So its usually somewhere in the 6 set range for about 15-20 reps per exercise.

hope this helps bud

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My quads are sick....uber sick. And the correct answer is all kinds of rep ranges and sets. There's no secret formula, IMO te most over looked aspect of leg development is stretching. Intense stretching between sets really helps with growth.

Right now I'm training in a higher rep range 20-30 with super sets. Like hack squats with leg ext. or leg press with leg curls etc...

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
What rep range is best for quads
best for what?

for strength/power use lower rep ranges.

for size, just go to concentric failure enough times, with enough food, and enough sleep and they will grow

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Depends on the individual. Whats your leg routine look like and what does your diet look like *I speak calories not meal list*.

I find leg day should be mixed with all 3 rep ranges. 6-12,12-20 and 20+. All depends on the person though. Hit us up with more info!
I put my chips with this one. I use a wide variety of rep ranges. They all equate to growth. Even more so, anything that you suck at will give you the best results by focusing on. Always focus on weaknesses to obtain the fastest gains.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I put my chips with this one. I use a wide variety of rep ranges. They all equate to growth. Even more so, anything that you suck at will give you the best results by focusing on. Always focus on weaknesses to obtain the fastest gains.
Yep. For instance. ..good mornings. If your lacking flexibility and hamstring strenght these can help. This will increase the over all size of your legs. Also it will increase quad dominant lifts.

Flex your ass on good mornings. Glutes are also a commen weak point for most.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
pretty darn high reps. I like to do 10-20 mostly. Now certain routines call for certain rep ranges like 5x5, DC, P/RR/S...etc but if its your own routine, i would do high reps. drop sets on stuff like leg press get my legs good also.