What is better for Quads!?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.99%

What is better for Quads!?

I'm an 18 year old lifter who has been goin to the gym since I was 16, but I have always wondered. What rep range is best for quads, I use to do 6-8 but I am trying 10-12 ( always aim for at least 12).

I know for calves because its an endurance muscle so I do around 20-25. But can someone please tell me is 10-12 better? I have just started it today and feel more of a pump.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

big BBer in my gym suggested going sets like 8x10.

So a lot of my stuff is 8x10, and I've noticed a lot of growth in my quads this year.

Calves... no idea.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FromAus View Post
    I'm an 18 year old lifter who has been goin to the gym since I was 16, but I have always wondered. What rep range is best for quads, I use to do 6-8 but I am trying 10-12 ( always aim for at least 12).

I know for calves because its an endurance muscle so I do around 20-25. But can someone please tell me is 10-12 better? I have just started it today and feel more of a pump.
    Depends on the individual. Whats your leg routine look like and what does your diet look like *I speak calories not meal list*.

I find leg day should be mixed with all 3 rep ranges. 6-12,12-20 and 20+. All depends on the person though. Hit us up with more info!
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I like the 12-15 rep range for quads in the 6-8 set range. It works for me but you might respond better to something different.

The biggest thing to remember about quads and hammies is that they are BIG muscle groups and need alot of work-whether that means higher weight or higher volume. Just what ever you go with-be sure to go big.

I was blessed with big calves (16s currently and havent hit them directly in months) but when I work them I always go heavy and just lift till I get a good deep burn. Be sure to squeeze them as hard as you can-it should feel like your about to cramp them up. I do this for as many sets as I can get with good form. So its usually somewhere in the 6 set range for about 15-20 reps per exercise.

hope this helps bud
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

My quads are sick....uber sick. And the correct answer is all kinds of rep ranges and sets. There's no secret formula, IMO te most over looked aspect of leg development is stretching. Intense stretching between sets really helps with growth.

Right now I'm training in a higher rep range 20-30 with super sets. Like hack squats with leg ext. or leg press with leg curls etc...
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FromAus View Post
    What rep range is best for quads
    best for what?

for strength/power use lower rep ranges.

for size, just go to concentric failure enough times, with enough food, and enough sleep and they will grow
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4%

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
    Depends on the individual. Whats your leg routine look like and what does your diet look like *I speak calories not meal list*.

I find leg day should be mixed with all 3 rep ranges. 6-12,12-20 and 20+. All depends on the person though. Hit us up with more info!
    I put my chips with this one. I use a wide variety of rep ranges. They all equate to growth. Even more so, anything that you suck at will give you the best results by focusing on. Always focus on weaknesses to obtain the fastest gains.
    Currently logging: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/236161-dymethazine-4-ad.html
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 6andaHalf View Post

I put my chips with this one. I use a wide variety of rep ranges. They all equate to growth. Even more so, anything that you suck at will give you the best results by focusing on. Always focus on weaknesses to obtain the fastest gains.
    Yep. For instance. ..good mornings. If your lacking flexibility and hamstring strenght these can help. This will increase the over all size of your legs. Also it will increase quad dominant lifts.

Flex your ass on good mornings. Glutes are also a commen weak point for most.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

pretty darn high reps. I like to do 10-20 mostly. Now certain routines call for certain rep ranges like 5x5, DC, P/RR/S...etc but if its your own routine, i would do high reps. drop sets on stuff like leg press get my legs good also.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.78%

Talking Hamstrings

I have never had much issues with my legs as they are my better features and was trained from the very beginning to focus on legs which sets the stage for the rest of your work out. One thing I learned from other body builders and have applied myself, is that is your workout is 40% hamstrings, you will notice that not only do one's hams get developed, but the overall legs benefit from this type of workout. Stiff legged deadlifts and leg curls is what I do, but will vary it up once in a while. :wave:

Similar Forum Threads

1. What is better for strength gains
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
  2. what is better for size
    By jchurch in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 03:56 AM
  3. what is better for estrogen control?
    By neverstop in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7