PR and Dedication - AnabolicMinds.com

PR and Dedication

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

PR and Dedication

Well 13 months after learning the deadlift on a smith machine, I pulled 415 yesterday
    I stopped SS/5x5 8 days prior, deloaded, and got ready to max.
    Bar for speed. 135-5 quick with shrugs. 225-2. 315-1. 365-1. 385-1. 405-1 PR. 415-1 PR.
    It felt great to break my best of 395 by 20 lbs in only about 8 weeks time! Not sure if I will max on squats again I'm currently working some form tweaks out. The last week of my workout was 275-5 3 sets M,W,F. But I feel my form was not what it could be and due to prior knee injuries I need to be solid before I up weight. Anyway...
    I've been bit by the iron bug, and bad. Watching any documentary, form lesson, video blogs from Greene Lilly Rip Coan etc, and reading articles and blogs any chance I get is a daily thing now. I dedicate my time and efforts towards strength and will slowly chip away at goals.
    Due to my inexperience I'm unsure where to go from here. My body responds well to change and I have a good sense of what works and doesn't at this point so I can easily alter a program to meet my goals. I want to mainly train the big three lifts along with overhead press, and the clean. The day before a session, I'm already lifting the weights in my head. I start my first set and it's almost like it's programmed and inevitably going to happen. Each rep makes me stronger so each rep is looked at with utmost importance. So in this thinking while I deload for these two weeks, my head is all over the place with the what direction to take.
    I know there are tons of members here that not only have impressive lifts, but a vast knowledge as well. If some of you could take some of your time to help I'd really appreciate it.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Congratulations in your new PR. Now stop using the smith machine A deadlift is not a straight up and down movement. The smith machine won't help you at all with technique.

You may not need a 2 week long deload. Usually a week is good. It's your body though so if you feel you need 2 weeks, then go for it.

You've mentioned a lot of powerlifters names and mentioned your big 3 lifts so that brings me to thinking of powerlifting routines for you. I would recommend looking into Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 or Brandon Lilly's Cube Method (He has two books, the most recent being 365Strong)

Others may suggest different routines but those are the two I have experience with. 5/3/1 is great for starting out as a beginner. Don't follow whatever you read from articles or forums. Buy the E-Books for 20 bucks online.

As far as technique, if you post videos if your lifts, members here can help assess you. None of us are professionals by any means but we can offer help. It just won't be at the level if one on one coaching.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

^^^ What all Sean said.

Secret #1...
    Make focus, determination, consistency and hard work, main points of any chosen routine and you will always be farther ahead of the pack in strength and mass.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

Thanks! I've thought about checking out the cube and westside but both are going to take a lot of focus and work for the routine.
    Forgot to mention I quit planet fitness and now don't even want to look at a smith. Doing any of the big three on it just felt wrong. Nothing like walking out a squat now
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I would avoid Westside. It's much more for advanced lifters and it's not the greatest for raw lifters, as you rarely practice the competition lifts.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

Gotcha. Yea that's kinda what I thought as they are implementing a ton of different principles and training methods. I guess for plateaus down the road. At this point for me it's pretty much weight+reps=gains.
    I want to train the lifts twice a week if able. I've been squatting 3 and with days off in between felt no weakness. I guess my problem is that I want to make sure I get all I can from each workout and want to find where to draw the line.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

From your last post I would say check out sheiko. It may be a little harsh so also check out the 5/3/1 frequency project.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    From your last post I would say check out sheiko. It may be a little harsh so also check out the 5/3/1 frequency project.
    Doing sheiko. I looked at I guess a sample or the real thing on t-nation. But I'm gonna work up to it. While I love squats and live for that rush, my bench lacks and I want a well rounded total. If I could be 400+ on everything by time I hit my prime I think my goals will be met and my pressing will be the biggest challenge. The biggest question is my knee. I fractured my kneecap junior year of high school and now the day after heavy squats my knee cracks going down stairs.. But I can't stop.
    So I'm out right now, thinking about walking out a 350, and getting hairs on the back of my neck. Lol drunk thoughts of a sober mind. Check in later.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Agree with no smith machine.

You're wasting energy doing all those high rep lighter lifts. Do a few for warm up and then hit the heavy. Your PR would have been higher if you weren't lolly gagging with the 100-200's. Then focus on a 5-8 rep Max and work there for awhile. 1 rep stuff doesn't really do much for strength. It is nice to know your PR on a 1RM but more valuable on a 5RM
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rang30fMotion View Post
    While I love squats and live for that rush, my bench lacks and I want a well rounded total. If I could be 400+ on everything by time I hit my prime I think my goals will be met and my pressing will be the biggest challenge.
    Buddy, you're not the only one who would be tickled to bench 4. I will say this, if you are squatting and deadlifting in the 4s when you get up to benching in the 4s, I will personally come wherever you live and slap you, bigger bench than me or not!

All kidding aside, congrats on the progress so far and keep it up! I'd say run something basic and hit your big 3 often. At least twice a week will nail down your form and better form is the fastest way to a big total.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    I will personally come wherever you live and slap you, bigger bench than me or not! All kidding aside, congrats on the progress so far and keep it up!
    By time I bench 8 wheels ill have my wax on wax off so quick ill break that wrist! Thanks though, new pr again today on squats, 350 after breaking my previous 315 with 335 as well! And a 145 OHP for fun. Thanks to the modded 5x5/starting strength I ran for a little over a month I've added 55lbs to my total and have yet to max bench.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

By time I bench 8 wheels ill have my wax on wax off so quick ill break that wrist! Thanks though, new pr again today on squats, 350 after breaking my previous 315 with 335 as well! And a 145 OHP for fun. Thanks to the modded 5x5/starting strength I ran for a little over a month I've added 55lbs to my total and have yet to max bench.
    That's awesome! No need to max, keep building strength, no need to test it. ThreeFs had a very good point about not needing to hit 1RMs so early in the game. Every 8-12 weeks if you wanna see what you've got, but 3RMs and 5RMs are more important for you right now.
    Training log:
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

I fully agree. I don't feel the same pump in the gym or growth out of it after a max day with some accessory lifts for the two not hit. My reasoning for doing it is to get an accurate 1rm to use %'s in workout programs. I want to gauge sheiko with what my numbers are and see if it's doable and beneficial or if I should just run a close model to the plan I was just on.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

Maxed bench today got 250 quick off the chest and pressed it out pretty clean. Probably coulda tried 260 but felt good enough about a 10% increase in two months. That's 80 all together to the total bringing me to 1,015.
    Honestly with all my enthusiasm about the newest, best way to go may have just caused me to overlook the obvious.. Stick with what I've been doing. I'm growing, progressing, and I feel good. I may alter the program a little more now that I know more about my program, as well as what others have suggested.
    I appreciate all the help it was good to get some support from those who have more experience and strength than myself. Well, back to class and my protein shake. Stay strong... And herder, I'll be waiting.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Maxed bench today got 250 quick off the chest and pressed it out pretty clean. Probably coulda tried 260 but felt good enough about a 10% increase in two months. That's 80 all together to the total bringing me to 1,015.
    Honestly with all my enthusiasm about the newest, best way to go may have just caused me to overlook the obvious.. Stick with what I've been doing. I'm growing, progressing, and I feel good. I may alter the program a little more now that I know more about my program, as well as what others have suggested.
    I appreciate all the help it was good to get some support from those who have more experience and strength than myself. Well, back to class and my protein shake. Stay strong... And herder, I'll be waiting.

Excellent choice on sticking with what has worked. Dance with who brung ya.
    Training log:
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. MY next cycle, supps diet and dedication
    By Legacykid in forum Bulking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
  2. WF and PR on non lift days
    By cheezscott in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
  3. Wheel O Death - Standing x20 - Big PR and Video
    By kabuki in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 12:50 AM
  4. Couple of PR's and info on my Halodrol experience.
    By BiggerNstronger in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 06:02 PM