Martial Arts? What am i missing

Hondaman722

Awards
It seems a lot of people are Into martial arts, I am weightlifting and doing my own boxing work, but nothing serious, what am I missing out on as far as martial arts? Any information to share

Thanks

smike

Awards
For me, it's a matter of preference. I was into martial arts up to 3 years ago. It was a great experience and hobby for 10 years but life gets in the way of your hobbies so i quit. I want to train when i can and not when they have classes.
Apart from that it was great cardio and flexibility and also useful for self defence.

My 02 cents.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
It seems a lot of people are Into martial arts, I am weightlifting and doing my own boxing work, but nothing serious, what am I missing out on as far as martial arts? Any information to share

Thanks
I boxe 4x a week for the workout, stress relief and cardio I don't want to shoot myself while doing it.

It is just a fun way to exercise, is what most people see when they take on martial arts. Better than a spinning class, zumba or just running on a treadmill 45 minutes a day. It won't get old as fast as it is constantly changing and adapting, besides, people see self improvement and that is always a good driver. Not to mention it is a skill that may reflect on your day to day life, give you more confidence and come in handy at some dangerous situations, specially for women for instance.

Just something that helps you get in shape / stay in good shape and helps your overall health and cardiovascular system without being absolutely boring as hell.

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established

Thanks
I have been in some kind of Martial Art since I was 16 now 36, I have always competed in sports and just need the outlet. I switched to BodyBuilding contests about 2 years ago but will probably get into competitive Judo soon as I have just picked this up.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
It all depends on what your goal in Martial arts is. I myself have been practicing judo & sambo over 15 years, practiced Greco-Roman wrestling for 6 years, I messed around with Gracie jiujitsu for almost a year before realizing that I was wasting my money for something judo does just as well if not better. At the moment I'm still practicing Judo and I'm looking to pick up Muay Boran to progress the complexity of my strikes and fighting style. Truthfully though, heavyweight lifting often interferes with actual Martial Art training. I found it more difficult doing martial arts training and bag work when I was heavy and muscular. My strikes weren't as fast my endurance didn't last as long as it does now. However I do currently have a balanced routine which involves 3 full body workout days @ the gym every week.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
I have been in some kind of Martial Art since I was 16 now 36, I have always competed in sports and just need the outlet. I switched to BodyBuilding contests about 2 years ago but will probably get into competitive Judo soon as I have just picked this up.
Judo is a whole new world hope you enjoy the gentle way of judo.

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established
Judo is a whole new world hope you enjoy the gentle way of judo.
Yeah I found a nice place to go and have spent some time in jiujitsu and wrestling so it sounded fun. I have spent a lot of time in MMA training over the years and just miss competing bodybuilding is great and I wont stop but the shows are just not the same as a fight.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on what your goal in Martial arts is. I myself have been practicing judo & sambo over 15 years, practiced Greco-Roman wrestling for 6 years, I messed around with Gracie jiujitsu for almost a year before realizing that I was wasting my money for something judo does just as well if not better. At the moment I'm still practicing Judo and I'm looking to pick up Muay Boran to progress the complexity of my strikes and fighting style. Truthfully though, heavyweight lifting often interferes with actual Martial Art training. I found it more difficult doing martial arts training and bag work when I was heavy and muscular. My strikes weren't as fast my endurance didn't last as long as it does now. However I do currently have a balanced routine which involves 3 full body workout days @ the gym every week.
Agree with a lot you have said but disagree with the Judo / Jiu Jitsu approach. Have done both and they have very different end goals and things they try to accomplish. Higher end Jiu Jitsu is about staying on the ground and catching your opponent whereas Judo is more on the art of taking the opponent down. A mix between the two is great, but you will be lacking ground game even in the end level of Judo if you are going against Jiu Jitsu. But that's not here or there.

I also find that weightlifting interferes with MA practice, but doesn't necessarily have to. If you're going for the powerlifter, yes, it will hinder you immensely, but if you're more on the fit look, it won't damage as much if you are at low BF%. I'm 6'4'' and pretty well built, boxe at 205lbs and have a tremendous reach. Cardio becomes a problem from carrying all the weight that I do but I'm extremely flexible so the speed aint quite an issue. It's a tradeoff for sure, but it has its place, you can balance the two, especially if you're looking into MA as entertainment and not to actually compete.