Strong or

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Strong or

I always heard and also a pretty good supporter of "form over weight". I like to perform my exercises in the correct way and not just pushing without any coordination.

BUT.. I was just looking today at my spreadsheet.. they are so light! I mean, I lift seriously since just a bit more than 1 year but here it is.

Bench smith machine (in my building don't have a free weight one -_-): 3x8 150lbs
    Shoulder press smith machine (still same reason.. and feel more than DB) 3x8 100lbs
    Pull ups can't do more than 10-12 for firs set, then I drastically go down
    Bicipes cable curl (I like the tension instead of the free weight bar) 2x10 110lbs
    Close grip smith machine 2x10 140lbs
    Front squat smith machine (prefer to normal for quads) 3x8 150lbs

I rest 90sec between sets. Actually I'm 173lbs 10%bf

If I remember well a year ago for bench press (free weight) I was doing around 120lbs and for free weight back squat 170lbs (now at the smith machine I do like 20lbs more)

Would you suggest to focus on strength for a while?

NOTE: I don't want lift to be a strongman, I just care about aesthetics.. I was just wondering

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Well, there is some correlation between strength and size. I am biased however, as I always train for more strength/power than anything. Aesthetics is probably more balance and diet. (one can look big and well built and still be quite light, if one has cuts and separations in the muscles.)
    Personally, I feel the compound exercises and focus on the large structures of the body, will still be a best bet for just all over function and a good balanced look. (The legs hips, back chest and shoulders trained with compounds)
    3-4 sets of 8-10 reps, 2x-3x per week, while slowly trying to add a little weight over time builds muscle and can still be quite safe.
    I am not sold on the machine training, as I prefer almost exclusively free weights as there is no restrictions and standing doing most of my work to load the spine and keep it healthy, but if you only have access to machines, then you can make the best of it.

You list some of your exercises, but no real program, routine or diet!?
    How much frequency? (times per week you hit the exercises)
    Specific goals? (Having a goal so you can target and focus on a certain thing(s)
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

you need to progressively increase the weights to progressively get stronger. so what is your progression plan? if you dont have one, get on a proven plan. something like 5/3/1, madcow, starting strength, etc.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

I always work on 8-12 reps range. Before I did 4/days week training body parts once. Since a month I'm doing 5 days training twice.
    The exercices listed are just the "famous ones" for tracking strength increase.
    My only goal is aesthetics so I'm not really worried about lifting tons, still.. I think my weights are pretty low that's why
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I've seen good size gains and increased definition maxxing out at 5 - 6 reps. I'm 35 and have lower body fat and a better 6 pack than I did when I was 25. I used to lift in the 8 - 12 rep range and had the same goal, looking good with my shirt off. Since starting my first 5x5 program I've seen a lot more strength and the bonus of a better physique. My wife says I look better now than when we first met 9 years ago.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Well, again with assoneyeonig get on a proven one you can follow.
    IMO and I am no way alone here, one can train the entire body, more than once per week. 2x-3x per, especially if you are not hitting really heavy low intense reps. Which in your case, you do not need to. Focus on the big 5-7 compounds and then any iso work for a few sets afterwards.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I'm the same as you, bro. Lifting purely for aesthetics. I was benching 185 for like 6-8 reps a few months ago. Recently got a dedicated partner and have been following similar principles as the 5x5 program and strength is skyrocketing each and every week compared to where I was at.
    "if there's one thing women love, it's a vascular man" - stewie griffin
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tjbruno View Post
    I'm the same as you, bro. Lifting purely for aesthetics. I was benching 185 for like 6-8 reps a few months ago. Recently got a dedicated partner and have been following similar principles as the 5x5 program and strength is skyrocketing each and every week compared to where I was at.
    Yea but do you want size and aesthetics or just aesthetics? Why can't we have both?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

What's a proven plan? Which one you suggest?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Yea but do you want size and aesthetics or just aesthetics? Why can't we have both?
    nobody sais you can't, imo they typically go hand in hand...
    "if there's one thing women love, it's a vascular man" - stewie griffin
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    To think the routines to get size and to get strength are far apart, is IMO skewed. Size during a good proven program is mostly related more with diet and eating more than you have been to add overall bodyweight.
    If you want a trim cut body, then you have to diet while working the muscles to get it.

What's a proven plan? Which one you suggest?
    As assoneyeonig posted

Starting Strength
    Madcow
    Starr's

Lots of 5x5's or any good overall programs that work if you keep inside the guidelines of the big work.

Guys, do not make it harder than it has to be, the specific routine is not as important as...
    -using and concentrating on the compound exercises first and foremost,
    -adding weight to the bar when you can
    -using multi sets and reps
    -training the largest strructures of the body 2x-3x per week
    -eating enough

The thing you should make "hard", is the work or effort put in.
    Like anything, the more you put into it, the more you reap.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Now I'm training body parts 2x week.
    My diet is 500kcal over mantainance
    Big compounds present, rep range 8-10, a couple of SS and DROP set during the week.
    Ofc big muscles first than small ones.

I looked into 5x5 workouts but they just have 4 exercises and nothing about isolating the small muscles
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Qonix View Post

I looked into 5x5 workouts but they just have 4 exercises and nothing about isolating the small muscles
    You can add those in at the ends of the W/O's but they are not the growing exercises. If you look at McCullum's KTP, McRobert's Brawn or maybe Brad Steiner's Hardgainers stuff, the important exercises that are going to elicit the biggest changes and the compounds with the most weight in your hands or on your back are always done and or concentrated on first. If one add #150 to their squat #200 to DL and #100 to BP, they other small muscles will follow suit to some extent and or it is not hard or take much to do a few sets for abs/arms/iso work at the end of the W/O.
    Again, don't overthink it. Keep it simple and work or focus on 1 goal for now.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

can you please make me an example of workout? I never worked in that way, I'm used to another king of scheduling and it's so confusing for me
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

can you please make me an example of workout? I never worked in that way, I'm used to another king of scheduling and it's so confusing for me
    Did you google any of those gurus programs?
    If you are being serious...
    Rippetoe Starting Strength
    Madcow
    McRobert's Brawn
    Starr 5x5
    McCallum KTP and or 5x5
    Steiners Hardgainer's Bible

You don't specifically have to use 5x5's, you can lighten the loads and reduce sets and use your 3x8-10 if that is what you are more comfortable with.
    It is just that 5x5 can be good for mass and strength, like powerbuilding.
    The important thing will be to slowly add weight over a cycle (say 6-10 weeks)
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Now I'm training body parts 2x week.
    My diet is 500kcal over mantainance
    Big compounds present, rep range 8-10, a couple of SS and DROP set during the week.
    Ofc big muscles first than small ones.

No real need to isolate small muscles unless you are working toward competing and really going for a specific goal.

Chin ups are probably the best exercise for adding biceps size, for instance. And if you are starting out, there is absolutely no need to focus on smaller muscles per se, they will receive the proper amount of training when you target the larger muscles; being new to the workout you may actually suffer a higher risk of overtraining by trying to hit the smaller muscles than to do you actual good.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

I'm trying to build by myself a plan.. on the power (strength) days, is it enough 2 exercises of 3 sets per muscle at low reps?

es PUSH

bench press 3x4
    incline bench 3x6

military press 3x4
    db press 3x6

close grip 3x6
    pushdown v bar 3x8

3 mins between sets
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

What you guys think about this?

This is an example of my "POWER" PUSH day.
    NOTE: this is how week1 is. on week 2 i'll lower by 1 rep (es: barbell bench 3x4) adding 5lbs. The same week 3, then on week 4 I'll start again from "original" reps with the weight of week 2.

Pecs
    Barbell bench 3x5
    Barbell incline bench3x6

Shoulders
    Military press 3x5
    Shoulder press "vertical" grip 3x6

Tricipes
    Close grip MP 2x6
    V bar pushdown 2x8

ABS
    Decline weighted crunch 2x20
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

What you guys think about this?

This is an example of my "POWER" PUSH day.
    NOTE: this is how week1 is. on week 2 i'll lower by 1 rep (es: barbell bench 3x4) adding 5lbs. The same week 3, then on week 4 I'll start again from "original" reps with the weight of week 2.

Pecs
    Barbell bench 3x5
    Barbell incline bench3x6

Shoulders
    Military press 3x5
    Shoulder press "vertical" grip 3x6

Tricipes
    Close grip MP 2x6
    V bar pushdown 2x8

ABS
    Decline weighted crunch 2x20
    anybody?
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Lots of ways to do progressions.
    IMO keep it simple and something you can stick with for a good cycle to build some momentum.

Also not to start very heavy. You do not want to be missing reps or straining like crazy on your 3rd week in. A lot of program cycles start with a trainee using 65%-70% of a max. Then slowly building over the weeks and getting harder, allowing the CNS to be trained and garner progressive loads just like the muscles, tendons and ligs.

Also, I might use a little higher reps in the OHP's, since you original post was more about building muscle and aesthetics and not all strength and power. The shoulders will be a bit hammered after the heavy BP's anyway.
    Maybe the 2nd day of the week, start your OHP's first, (heavier) then go to BP's!?!?

What does a full week's body work look like?
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    IMO keep it simple and something you can stick with for a good cycle to build some momentum.

Also not to start very heavy. You do not want to be missing reps or straining like crazy on your 3rd week in. A lot of program cycles start with a trainee using 65%-70% of a max. Then slowly building over the weeks and getting harder, allowing the CNS to be trained and garner progressive loads just like the muscles, tendons and ligs.

Also, I might use a little higher reps in the OHP's, since you original post was more about building muscle and aesthetics and not all strength and power. The shoulders will be a bit hammered after the heavy BP's anyway.
    Maybe the 2nd day of the week, start your OHP's first, (heavier) then go to BP's!?!?

My last post is regarding push (strength). it base the same building for the pull too. then i have legs once per week (which I alternate power with hypertrophy) and push hypertrophy followed by pull hypertrophy.

I just have to know if the scheme used for that push power is good because I never created a strength workout
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  246 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post

Op paulblack has laid it out very well don't over think the workout portion of the equation.

For example my back workout is 5 sets of heavy deadlifts followed by 5 sets of heavy bent over then 3 sets of pull-ups short, sweet, simple, effective. Compound movements are where it is at all your assistance muscles are worked by these as well.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

I just have to know if the scheme used for that push power is good because I never created a strength workout
    Again, strength is going to come from pushing yourself to add weight to the bar when you can. Whether oyu are using higher or lower reps. If you are more concerned with a single 1RM , then using higher reps 8-12, will most likely only get you a certain singles output. Lower reps work x5's say, are better for higher strength or single rep strength.

I cannot tell you that what you are setting up for yourself is going to be perfect for you. There is so much more involved than just going thru the motions or dividing up a workout the way you see fit. The bottom line that will give you results will be what you are willing to do or how hard you are willing to work to get what you want. Not how you cut it up or what you pair with what. They are all less important than effort.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

I did today the workout I posted before..
    I lifted much more weight than what I was thinking able to, but I felt like I didn't enough.. I mean, the reps were lower than usual and I did 2 sets less than usual..
    Probably is just because I'm not used to the powerlifting mindset idk
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. To Rub or not to Rub
    By Big Joe in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 06:04 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 10:20 AM
  4. Too wake up or not to wake