Build traps?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    MANdrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Answers
    0

    Build traps?


    Hey all you out there. Anyone have any tips on how to build my traps better? And before you ask, I do a lot of barbell rowing and deadlifting. My deadlift is 455, I weigh 135. But for some reason it seems as if I've been blessed with the world's smallest traps, and it's almost embarrassing. Any tips?

    Also, I don't have all the time in the world. I'm in the military, so most of my time is filled and I Only get about 30 minutes in the gym every day.

    Thanks for all the help, guys.

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,149
    Answers
    0


    You kinda answered your own question: you're only 135lbs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    busaboy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    7
    Answers
    0


    135lb, pack on some weight. It's gonna be tough to really grow at that weight, but for the sake o conversation... Keep deadlifting. But work sets!! Not just 1 rep max but 8-12 rep ranges. Shrugs are always a staple of trap development (dumb bell and barbell shrugs, hand positioning can change the angle of the movement). And I like face pulls with a tricep rope.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,389
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MANdrew View Post
    Hey all you out there. Anyone have any tips on how to build my traps better? And before you ask, I do a lot of barbell rowing and deadlifting. My deadlift is 455, I weigh 135. But for some reason it seems as if I've been blessed with the world's smallest traps, and it's almost embarrassing. Any tips?

    Also, I don't have all the time in the world. I'm in the military, so most of my time is filled and I Only get about 30 minutes in the gym every day.

    Thanks for all the help, guys.
    At 135 and your avi picture im guessing you're short. Under 5'6.

    That being said....rows and deads are fine for beginers but if you want your traps to grow you have to add some isolation so pick up some heavy dumbells and shrug. Do NOT shrug in a circle or some ridiculous crap like that. Go straight up and down. Explode up,bring your shoulders as close to your ears as possible then put emphasis on the stretch down. Drop your shoulders as far as you can. Pause. Go back up.

    Super set with rows if time is an issue.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  5. Registered User
    MANdrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post

    At 135 and your avi picture im guessing you're short. Under 5'6.

    That being said....rows and deads are fine for beginers but if you want your traps to grow you have to add some isolation so pick up some heavy dumbells and shrug. Do NOT shrug in a circle or some ridiculous crap like that. Go straight up and down. Explode up,bring your shoulders as close to your ears as possible then put emphasis on the stretch down. Drop your shoulders as far as you can. Pause. Go back up.

    Super set with rows if time is an issue.
    Super setting with rows and shrugs definitely killed.... More of a pump in my upper back than I've ever felt.
  6. Registered User
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,170
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You kinda answered your own question: you're only 135lbs.
    so you're saying small guys can't look big?
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,149
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    so you're saying small guys can't look big?
    Outside of rare exceptions (e.g. stage-ready competitors), no.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,170
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Outside of rare exceptions (e.g. stage-ready competitors), no.
    wow...ok forget it, I got nothin
  9. Registered User
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,076
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    so you're saying small guys can't look big?
    sure they can

    Yves Jabouin
    Johnny Eduardo
    Mackens Semerzier

    all sub 150 and look jacked!
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,149
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    wow...ok forget it, I got nothin
    Show me a dude that's 135# that actually has a good amount of size. OP wants to gain size in his traps and the answer is simple: get bigger.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,389
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    Show me a dude that's 135# that actually has a good amount of size. OP wants to gain size in his traps and the answer is simple: get bigger.
    Size will come. The shrug advice was given thinking that his diet is on point.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  12. Registered User
    CountryLiftin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,053
    Answers
    0


    Roidzzzzzz




    Lol.


    How do we get muscle to look bigger? Grow those muscles. How do muscles grow? Lift eat and sleep/recover more.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  13. Registered User
    MANdrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Answers
    0


    Thanks a lot for all the help guys, I'm pretty much just going to slay my poor little traps with deadlifts/rows/shrugs like I have been and I'll be focusing more on the contraction at the top of the movement. Thanks again for the help.
  14. Registered User
    snyderd1972's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  246 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    95
    Answers
    0


    Upright rows with a wider than normal grip and keep your elbows higher than your hands.
  15. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,175
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by snyderd1972 View Post
    Upright rows with a wider than normal grip and keep your elbows higher than your hands.
    Aaaand destroy your shoulders in the process. Please do not ever do this exercise. Far superior and safer choices are snatch grip... well anything, farmers or frame carries, and cleans (preferably hang cleans).
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  16. Registered User
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,727
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post

    Aaaand destroy your shoulders in the process. Please do not ever do this exercise. Far superior and safer choices are snatch grip... well anything, farmers or frame carries, and cleans (preferably hang cleans).
    Agreed. Had a lot of shoulder issues in my noob lifting days doing P90x, after educating myself and removing the upright rows my shoulders haven't been an issue
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  17. Registered User
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,076
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post
    Agreed. Had a lot of shoulder issues in my noob lifting days doing P90x, after educating myself and removing the upright rows my shoulders haven't been an issue
    If you do them with cables or a smith machine they a lot more forgiving on the rotator cuff. But Rows in general are great shoulder building lifts
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  18. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,149
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    If you do them with cables or a smith machine they a lot more forgiving on the rotator cuff. But Rows in general are great shoulder building lifts
    Why bother with them when the injury potential is so high? The most effective lift I've ever done for the upper back is the snatch-grip deadlift. The leverage is awful and hits the traps so much more effectively than traditional deads.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Registered User
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,076
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Why bother with them when the injury potential is so high? The most effective lift I've ever done for the upper back is the snatch-grip deadlift. The leverage is awful and hits the traps so much more effectively than traditional deads.
    Idk stubbornness I guess lol. I am a stickler for form and making sure that I am not just tossing weight around. If done properly upright rows can be a great way to skin the shoulder cat. I am not a fan of the ultra wide grip rows though they do def. put your shoulders in an un-natural range of motion.
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  20. Registered User
    thegodfather's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,045
    Answers
    0


    Hanging high pulls.
    Remember why you started.
  21. Registered User
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Answers
    0


    Well, on the 135, you would need to be pretty damn low BF% in order to look big at 135lb.

    Urijah Faber - which IMHO is one of the best "physiques" in MMA - competes at 135lb with 5'6'' height. Yes, he most likely walks at 150ish, but then someone who is 5'5'' or below could perhaps look jacket being at about that weight.

    But to a normal person, at their 15% of BF, 135 will be too damn small to have anything apparent. So, in short, put on weight and focus on deadlifts, compoounds, the rows and shrugs that were mentioned. One thing I enjoy and I think works pretty well is to do a deadlift, and on the apex of the movement shrug with that weight and then refresh. Has done wonders for me.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  22. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    Idk stubbornness I guess lol. I am a stickler for form and making sure that I am not just tossing weight around. If done properly upright rows can be a great way to skin the shoulder cat. I am not a fan of the ultra wide grip rows though they do def. put your shoulders in an un-natural range of motion.
    Upright rows just plain suck. The risk/reward isn't there for me to even consider the movement.

    Face pulls have done wonders for my traps.

    Snatch grip deadlifts will destroy your traps as well

    And fcking eat for christs sake...
  23. Registered User
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,076
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Upright rows just plain suck. The risk/reward isn't there for me to even consider the movement.

    Face pulls have done wonders for my traps.

    Snatch grip deadlifts will destroy your traps as well

    And fcking eat for christs sake...
    I will second the Face pulls for sure!
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  24. Registered User
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,469
    Answers
    3


    Overhead dumbbell flys.......give em a shot but don't rip your shoulders apart.

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  25. Registered User
    MANdrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Overhead dumbbell flys.......give em a shot but don't rip your shoulders apart.
    Ouch! Haha that seems like that would hurt. Start off with like sticks in your hands and move up in weight...
  26. Registered User
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,469
    Answers
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by MANdrew View Post

    Ouch! Haha that seems like that would hurt. Start off with like sticks in your hands and move up in weight...
    I use 25's. Any heavier and its awkward.

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  27. Registered User
    drinkyboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,103
    Answers
    0


    Deadlifts and food by the boat load has worked wonders for my traps...and every other muscle group personally. Did shrugs at one point but all I got out of them was a jacked up back and neck. If your doing deads now, stick to em...they will pay off.
  28. Registered User
    snyderd1972's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  246 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    95
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

    Upright rows just plain suck. The risk/reward isn't there for me to even consider the movement.

    Face pulls have done wonders for my traps.

    Snatch grip deadlifts will destroy your traps as well

    And fcking eat for christs sake...

    Hands 12-16 inches apart elbows way up. I'm 41 been lifting since I was 15( not solid but pretty damn close). I regularly work up to 225 and do these about every other workout and have never felt pain in my shoulders or any kind of torque on my shoulders for that matter.
  29. Registered User
    drinkyboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,103
    Answers
    0


    I second face pulls also. You can also do a variation of them by lying face down on an incline bench with dumbbells. Absolutly fry my mid back!
  30. Registered User
    iparatroop's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,498
    Answers
    0


    Reeves variation deadlifts.

    http://youtu.be/2mkiCRE6AYY
  31. Registered User
    MANdrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post

    I use 25's. Any heavier and its awkward.
    I tried them today! I did it with 20's and I'm pretty sure turning my head tomorrow is going to hurt haha.
  32. Registered User
    gmanall's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    262
    Answers
    0


    Farmer's walk every other day added the most mass to my traps, one of the most underrated exercises IMO. Great deadlift numbers....but you need to bulk to get more mass.
  33. Registered User
    CountryLiftin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,053
    Answers
    0


    deads and a light sprinkling of rows, chin/pull-ups and shrugs.

    So how tall are you?
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  34. Registered User
    MANdrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    deads and a light sprinkling of rows, chin/pull-ups and shrugs.

    So how tall are you?
    I'm barely 5'3", but slowly shrinking haha. I was 5'3 and a quarter about a year ago, but I'm going down somehow.
  35. Registered User
    CountryLiftin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,053
    Answers
    0


    Good deadlift leverage at least lol.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  36. Registered User
    iparatroop's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,498
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MANdrew View Post
    I'm in the military, so most of my time is filled and I Only get about 30 minutes in the gym every day. Thanks for all the help, guys.
    Wait, what branch of the military is only affording you 30min a day to workout?
  37. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,113
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    Idk stubbornness I guess lol. I am a stickler for form and making sure that I am not just tossing weight around. If done properly upright rows can be a great way to skin the shoulder cat. I am not a fan of the ultra wide grip rows though they do def. put your shoulders in an un-natural range of motion.
    Its not the rotator cuff that becomes the issue, it is that the position of the shoulders at the height of the movement causes a narrowing of the subacromial space
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  38. Registered User
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,170
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    Wait, what branch of the military is only affording you 30min a day to workout?
    i second this question, actually...I call bs. Sorry man, not trying to sound like a dick, but if all you get is 30 mins, either your time management sucks, or your direct supervisor is a douche!!
  39. Registered User
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,815
    Answers
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Why bother with them when the injury potential is so high? The most effective lift I've ever done for the upper back is the snatch-grip deadlift. The leverage is awful and hits the traps so much more effectively than traditional deads.
    This

    Or try snatch pulls OP.
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  40. Registered User
    MANdrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    i second this question, actually...I call bs. Sorry man, not trying to sound like a dick, but if all you get is 30 mins, either your time management sucks, or your direct supervisor is a douche!!
    Marine corps. I'm in student status at the moment, we don't get much free time. I've had bad luck, I was in the infantry for about a year then tried for Recon, and I perforated my left eardrum and got dropped from the program and didn't qualify for the infantry anymore, so now I'm stuck in beautiful North Carolina with a bunch of boots who **** our liberty all the time, so I only get to work out either on lunch break or right after the work day because we have accountability issues here. It's retarded.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 04:41 PM
  2. How to build a huge middle back/trap?
    By jasonk202 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM
  3. Post-Workout Foods to Build Muscle
    By DarCSA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 02:42 PM
  4. AAS Build Mass NOT Aggression
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 09:32 PM
  5. Glucosamine for Knees Evidence Builds
    By DarCSA in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in