Light weight/ strict form, high reps

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
What types of gains or development would occur from using strict form, light weight, hig reps (20rep 3-5 sets) looking at strict 1minute rest period. I was looking for articles to understand the science behind this sort of routine but with so much Crossfit publicity its hard find. Crossfit is more explosions/ power-lifting, I just want to understand the development for “time under tension” involving slow precise lifting (light to moderate weight) with high reps. If anyone has a strict routine (NO ego-lifting) similar to this discussion I would like to here your results, opinions, knowledge.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
did u jut call crossfit powerlifting?

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
**well on a side bar

I will entertain that my intention was to;
make a basic summarization of crossfit and hinted it utilizes power-lifting techniques and rigorous endurance training - as it is not traditional bodybuilding

however it wasnt the topic of the thread, so I didnt feel the need to summerize all Crossfit philosophy just slighty touch base to express the ture intension of the thread? I realize crossfit is much, much more. ( NO INTENTION TO MISLEAD, OR HINDER CROSSFIT)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crossfit uses the technique of an 8 year old on a sugar high.

And my vote is to lift as heavy as possible, all the time, with strict form, and varying rep ranges.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just want to understand the development for “time under tension” involving slow precise lifting (light to moderate weight) with high reps. If anyone has a strict routine (NO ego-lifting) similar to this discussion I would like to here your results, opinions, knowledge.
Well, you might want to look into a method called Superslow. I believe Fred Hahn and Ken Hutchins are some of it's founders. ie: Slow Burn
Perhaps safety was a big marker too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Slow

It is called a form of HIT I guess, but not HIT like Maximum Bob Whelan or Dr Ken used to do, with 1 set to failure full body W/O's.

I will most likely side with Sean towards strength building.

Opinion: I am sure any type of resistance training will produce an outcome and especially if one has not done any, then any type would most likely produce some kind of gain(s). The questions that I run across, mostly by young guys wanting to get strong(er) or large(r) and wanting to reach their "perhaps" full potential, is, what is the best way to train? And I do not believe lighter loads (which you have to use if you are lifting deliberately slow without any momentum etc.) is proven to do as well as loads in the 70%-90% ranges for multi sets and medium 15/20 to lower reps 2/12, taken to a near muscular failure with the compound big structure exercises over a cycle of a few months.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crossfitters DO powerlift, if they're being coached by anybody worth a damn. Is there a better way to facilitate neural inroads and teach a person how to move in everyday life? I don't think so. 99% of all successful programs for athletes in any sport has it's base and foundation in powerlifting. If you're squatting, benching, and deadlifting, you're powerlifting. Just don't call yourself a powerlifter until you step on the platform. :)

Crossfit's negative reputation comes because oftentimes they have too many irons in the fire. I don't think crossfitters do high reps with strict form, because their job is to get through the workout as quickly as possible.

To address the actual topic, I don't believe you can do high (20) reps with strict form. If you can, then the weight is too light or the exercise is better served for accessory work. Don't build a program around accessory work. Your ideal TUT is 45 seconds. That should be a normal set of 10-12 done with a strict, controlled tempo.

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
I never really lifted with a consistent 3-5set /20 rep routine, I figure to hold pretty good form the weight would have to be pretty light until I was more familiar with my bodies adaptation to the higher frequency. I just want more research, peer review.

What about total shape of a muscle, I am already pretty filled out in the muscle department (just take my word on it.lol), always used rep/weight variations, as well as solid rep/weight routines for month(s) at a time. As far as all natural goes I could probably lose 10-15lbs and place in top ten at some local bodybuilding shows, like I said before I never really had a consistent routine hitting such high reps set after set. I was really looking to evolve the muscle to the next level and didn’t know if this would give any good gains as far as really squeezing that blood in the muscle rep after rep! I looked into the “superslow” method that was mentioned. This isn’t totally what I was trying to describe similar but I believe in a controlled yet explosive positive force and a slower controlled negative force on the backside of the rep, with a very strong mind to muscle influence,That perfect stretch/contraction movement! I want to feel like I could place top 3!!

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards

I could always dig deeper and keep around 3-5set/4-12rep around 70%+/-

I am just researching this strategy of 3-5/ 20r around 25-50%

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're "pretty filled out in the muscle department" and you're making gains...why not just continue..?

Just try different methods. Vary your TUT/volume/frequency/intensity. You were given some good advice here. It's your body. Find what works for you bud

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I COULD probably lose 10-15lbs and place in top ten at some local bodybuilding shows

I want to feel like I COULD place top 3!!
Just do it, man! You wanna take your game to the next level, I encourage you to get competitive. The motivation and preparation are fantastic, and you'll find out where you ACTUALLY stand. Maybe you'll meet someone there who has experience doing what you're asking.