Squat/Deadlift Form Check

deadliftz

Awards
Apologies for posting one of these threads but I really want some opinions on my form before I progress any further, in case I injure myself.

Working set of squats, 80kg:
youtube.com/watch?v=L0c8w0C4zBQ

Plan is to spend a few weeks working on depth (and general flexibility) without increasing the weight, until I get below parallel. Otherwise how does it look?

Working set of deadlifts, 95kg:
youtube.com/watch?v=vfeyqpcVYFg

The only thing I notice here is I need to focus on pushing back with my hips first on the descent.

120kg deadlift:
youtube.com/watch?v=Px8ylAiTFQw

I can see that my back is slightly rounding here; something to work on, but I guess for a 1rm it could be worse. Question is, is this a dangerous degree of rounding?

Sorry for the camera angles, mounting it on some blocks was the best I could manage.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just a few things...
Your squat is a little high, also, hard to judge by that angle, but you might be able to widen your stance a little more to get a better feel and balance and use more of a power squat type rep. Some trainees find a higher bar oly squat, limits their depth some depending on flexibility too. When you widen the stance and pretty much drop your torso between your legs, it might help with a more powerful position and thus a more stable and stronger squat after some time under the bar. You want to try to keep from folding into a z so opening the legs some to allow the torso down, helps with that. See also a goblet squat to get an idea.

Rippetoe: Some squatting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OoVQPmfZ4o

The deads look okay, but you look to almost overarch at the start as to be real cautious and your legs straighten and hips rise a bit before the bar breaks off the floor. You might wanna try a lighter load, start with your hips in a more neutral (a little higher) and low back flat or only a slight arched position, and vid a few pulls so we can get a better idea of your form, without using too heavy of a weight.
The general rule of thumb is, that the weight moves, or is the first thing to move, when you begin the lift not other parts of the body then the bar.
If you stick or perfect a warmup form, then you keep developing strength with that form using slow increases, you get a feel for that ingrained form, doing your heaviest work.
All in all it did not look really bad per se, just less experienced and something a little time under the bar can help improve and polish.

This is not a bad set up/cue vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N9hAuxNs

deadliftz

Awards
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll watch those videos and try some of the things you mentioned.

As for the squat, I used a very wide stance from the beginning but switched to about shoulder width in the last few months as my quads were severely underdeveloped - they seem to be growing better now, but that may be because I've improved my depth also. But I see what you mean about making more room for my torso, maybe a stance somewhere in between would be better so long as depth is good.
I've been trying low-bar squats at times lately, too. Technique with it still needs some improvement, but overall I think high-bar feels more natural for me.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I would tend to agree that a closer stance, for taller guys especially, will accentuate the quads some more. And if you squatted in a slight heel, or oly shoe, you would probably feel more lever going towards the quads or the front of the legs.
If you are concerned more about size or quad size per se, then leg pressing is also something that can work the quads as a finish or a second leg day.

As far as the DL, quads help a bit off the floor ( for some more than others), but hams, glutes, low back are real strong dominant groups in the pull, just sayin'

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

deadliftz

Awards
Yeah I would tend to agree that a closer stance, for taller guys especially, will accentuate the quads some more. And if you squatted in a slight heel, or oly shoe, you would probably feel more lever going towards the quads or the front of the legs.
If you are concerned more about size or quad size per se, then leg pressing is also something that can work the quads as a finish or a second leg day.

As far as the DL, quads help a bit off the floor ( for some more than others), but hams, glutes, low back are real strong dominant groups in the pull, just sayin'
Yeah, I do leg presses every session now and it seems to be helping. I also do front squats (light as I'm still working on form), leg extensions and either lunges or split squats in addition to back squats.

Personally I've never noticed any quad action in deadlifting - not saying there is none, but I feel it more in my lower back and hamstrings, and slightly in the glutes.

Anyway, I trained legs this morning and think I made some small progress with depth. Another question though, how much forward leaning is too much? When I went particularly deep I got some serious lower back pumps, but from viewing the video my back didn't round.