Why do my Quads Cramp Up after Leg Day

  1. New Member
    dreamcrusher's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    48
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

    Why do my Quads Cramp Up after Leg Day


    I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and I don't know why but everytime on leg day, once I'm done and later in the day, my quads cramp up. Specifically, my inner quads (Vastus Medialis). I can't figure as to what might be causing this? I notice that it's more severe when I do leg extensions.

    Anyone ever have this happen and how did you fix it?

    And yes I hydrate properly.

  2. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,692
    Rep Power
    3425566
    Level
    89
    Lv. Percent
    91.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    What do you do for warmups/stretching/mobility
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. New Member
    dreamcrusher's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    48
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    What do you do for warmups/stretching/mobility
    I usually start off by doing a light 5 minute jog on the treadmill or 5 minutes on the elliptical. I then stretch the groin, glutes, hip flexors, hamstrings and then warm-up with the prescribed weight in the 5/3/1 program.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Skipper999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    46
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%

    Do a cool down after.
    Think about if you have muscle imbalances that could be straining the quads as a result.
  5. Senior Member
    TheMovement's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,774
    Rep Power
    2773554
    Level
    71
    Lv. Percent
    14.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Foam roll the anterior portion of your leg and see if ya find a trigger point. Bet ya find more than 1 tender spot but observe for a muscle spasm or referred pain associated with one spot in particular.
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  6. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115626
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    47.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Are you using creatine?
  7. Senior Member
    drinkyboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,118
    Rep Power
    84924
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    94.09%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I have this happen but the only way it doesn't happen to me is if I don't give it my all or lift like a wuss. Seriously. I would say eat for repair, hydration, potassium and creatine should help.
  8. New Member
    dreamcrusher's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    48
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

    I am taking creatine and also suspect that I might have a muscle imbalance with my inner quads in which they are being over worked some how.

    I will definitely start doing some foam rolling after my workouts to avoid any soreness and loosen the muscles up.

    I am on my second cycle of the 5/3/1 program and it is brutal but I like it. What supplement has done wonders for recovery for you?

    I am thinking of getting some HMB to aid with recovery. Any suggestions?
  9. Senior Member
    drinkyboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,118
    Rep Power
    84924
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    94.09%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I have not found anything that makes it stop. I have had some relief using muscle cream from efts, ice and mamouth amounts of calories lol.
  10. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115626
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    47.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamcrusher View Post
    I am taking creatine and also suspect that I might have a muscle imbalance with my inner quads in which they are being over worked some how.
    2 cents...
    Not sure specifically if an imbalance would cause cramps.
    I might get off the creatine for a few weeks or so and see if they stop.
    I go by making the easiest single changes, then one can usually zero in, on what actually is the cause.

    Not sure about the HMB and it is costly. Magnesium may help however.
  11. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    188235
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    28.58%

    Magnesium works wonders. Personally, I like a hot bath with epsom salt twice per week, and one of the days is always a leg day. Extremely relaxing.

    With that said, make sure you are actually hydrated. Drink as much water as you think you should each day and then a little more, especially if you take a bath, they make you sweat too.

    Stretch after you workout. And after a hot bath. You are warmed up, loose, can reach a little further and loosen up tight muscles.

    Try a mineral supplement, not just magnesium, for a full spectrum of electrolytes and other minerals.

    I'm not a product rep, I don't know if Millennium Sport Technologies has a presence here but I've always liked their ZMK product as part of a recovery supplement regimen. (ZMK, not ZMA)

    They have another one called Athlytes as well, a specific electrolyte formulation you may want to look in to. I'm sure companies that advertise here have a similar product too.

    A benefit supplements like these is that you get proper ratios. No blocked or otherwise compromised absorption issues which could also be a potential problem for you in your diet/supplement regimen.
  12. New Member
    dreamcrusher's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    48
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Magnesium works wonders. Personally, I like a hot bath with epsom salt twice per week, and one of the days is always a leg day. Extremely relaxing.

    With that said, make sure you are actually hydrated. Drink as much water as you think you should each day and then a little more, especially if you take a bath, they make you sweat too.

    Stretch after you workout. And after a hot bath. You are warmed up, loose, can reach a little further and loosen up tight muscles.

    Try a mineral supplement, not just magnesium, for a full spectrum of electrolytes and other minerals.

    I'm not a product rep, I don't know if Millennium Sport Technologies has a presence here but I've always liked their ZMK product as part of a recovery supplement regimen. (ZMK, not ZMA)

    They have another one called Athlytes as well, a specific electrolyte formulation you may want to look in to. I'm sure companies that advertise here have a similar product too.

    A benefit supplements like these is that you get proper ratios. No blocked or otherwise compromised absorption issues which could also be a potential problem for you in your diet/supplement regimen.
    I actually have some ZMK but haven't been taking it because I was PCT (550-XD) and was taking PCT Black with 3G of DAA at bedtime (10 caps total!) so I didn't want to take 14 caps but now that I'm off I will be taking it again.
  13. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    188235
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    28.58%

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamcrusher View Post
    I actually have some ZMK but haven't been taking it because I was PCT (550-XD) and was taking PCT Black with 3G of DAA at bedtime (10 caps total!) so I didn't want to take 14 caps but now that I'm off I will be taking it again.
    It's entirely possible you were dehydrated taking all those capsules before a 7-8 hour break from any water intake. I'm not familiar with the specific products you took but many PCT products can have a "drying" effect. I have a feeling as you close out those bottles you won't be experiencing your extreme cramps, in the mean time, up your water intake.
  14. Professional Member
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    1188229
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    66.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamcrusher View Post
    I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and I don't know why but everytime on leg day, once I'm done and later in the day, my quads cramp up. Specifically, my inner quads (Vastus Medialis). I can't figure as to what might be causing this? I notice that it's more severe when I do leg extensions.

    Anyone ever have this happen and how did you fix it?

    And yes I hydrate properly.
    One word. Potassium. Simple answer if you're deficient. Potassium and sodium are very important. Track it.4.5 grams is recommended for athletes.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  15. New Member
    dreamcrusher's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    48
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

    Will start monitoring sodium and potassium.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Why do i feel so hungry after i lift heavy?
    By mothsgunav2 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
  2. Why do stimulants f me up so bad?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 02:24 AM
  3. Why wont my Tapatalk open up??
    By enhanced in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 06:28 PM
  4. Cardio after leg day
    By Strygwyr in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 10:00 PM
  5. Cardio after leg days - Yes or No?
    By JonesersRX7 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in