Shoulder workout

Guido1983

Guido1983

Banned
Awards
Looking to switch up my shoulders. Been doing lots of db press, laterals at all angles and a variety if diifrent exercises. Any ideas for some good workouts?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about Arnold presses, bent over DB raises and Delt Destroyers?

Skipper999

Awards
Switch to bbell. Steering wheel weight plates

TexasGuy

Awards
Clean Presses for TUT under a variety of angles.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are you goals exactly?
Heavy standing PP's with slow return
Rack Presses from pins
Shrugs or high pulls

TaoPhD

Awards
Keep the laterals but make the negative portion take 7 seconds and the positive portion for 1 second. try it for 8 reps...

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i vote for overhead press or push press + reverse flys

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Landmine press, neutral grip presses, unilateral presses

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Upright rows, superset with laterals then upright rows, or my end exercise on shoulder day is the tri-raise super set: front, lateral, and reverse all for 10 reps right in a row. 30 reps when done and shoulders are torched. Do that 3 times with 60 seconds rest between sets and you may have a hard time drinking your shake when you're done.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
Upright rows, superset with laterals then upright rows, or my end exercise on shoulder day is the tri-raise super set: front, lateral, and reverse all for 10 reps right in a row. 30 reps when done and shoulders are torched. Do that 3 times with 60 seconds rest between sets and you may have a hard time drinking your shake when you're done.
I love the way upright rows finish off my workout I take a wide grip and and my shoulders are on fire.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
I like to live life dangerously lol.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
In certain individuals and If you go to high.
Not just the height, the grip as well.

The shoulder is not designed to move in that direction; it narrows the acronium space which increases chance of inpingement.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't it be the same motion as a power clean?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If that's how you do them, then they are not being done correctly

The clean should be initiated with your legs, driven through with your hips to put your body upright, shrug upright hard and then dropping down to recieve the bar.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Not really. In the power clean, you are still pulling yourself down under the bar, just not as far as a squat clean, but getting under it nonetheless. Also in cleans, the reason the bar is getting the upward travel is more from the hips at the top of the second pull, not from just the shoulders/traps.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We can combine our powers.

There's a meet in Everett in Oct. You should go do it.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
I just meant the same plane not the same muscles being engaged

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
I agree with that, it's just something that doesn't bother me overhead presses bother my shoulders more I have a torn labrum too.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
I also stopped doing cleans after I stopped playing football never liked them.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
We can combine our powers. There's a meet in Everett in Oct. You should go do it.
My #'s aren't meet worthy, my C/J is 215, but my snatch is a gross 155. Snatches are rough on my shoulder after the drop

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My #'s aren't meet worthy, my C/J is 215, but my snatch is a gross 155. Snatches are rough on my shoulder after the drop
I stopped doing snatches. BC the weight was not good on my shoulders although I like them

If I do them ill do 20 reps with the bar then do my workout then do snatch grip behind neck press with bar to finish

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I stopped doing snatches. BC the weight was not good on my shoulders although I like them If I do them ill do 20 reps with the bar then do my workout then do snatch grip behind neck press with bar to finish
I stick to snatch grip barbell complexes at lighter weights, like those a lot, and less/no pain

Guido1983

Guido1983

Banned
Awards
I like doing supersets with front and side. I been switching between db press and bb press a lot just need some new press to do.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
u guys realize upright rows are dangerous right?
As long as your grip is wide enough, and you haven't shown issues with your shoulders previously they are a good shoulder exercise. Not really meant for strength though so using it to super set or as a workout finisher is a great way to utilize them. Especially to hit that hard to develope rear delt.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Never tried them....today is military press day (5/3/1). I'll have to give them a shot

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never tried them....today is military press day (5/3/1). I'll have to give them a shot
All to need is baby weight for those suckers and they'll rock your rear delts and traps.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They're definitely a higher rep lift. The most I've used is 20# DBs.
That's what I used today. Focused on not flaring my ribs, which isolated my upper back. Didnt count reps, just went until I could go anymore. My traps got quite the pump

TexasGuy

Awards
Not really. In the power clean, you are still pulling yourself down under the bar, just not as far as a squat clean, but getting under it nonetheless. Also in cleans, the reason the bar is getting the upward travel is more from the hips at the top of the second pull, not from just the shoulders/traps.
I'd still add clean presses however, as you do use your shoulders to guide the bar through a full range of motion, and then of course the press. It would be interesting to see just how much resistance the shoulders are fighting at any given time during a clean, though momentum carries the bulk of the weight. But activating the shoulder, using it as part of a greater chain of movement to hoist the bar and then press certainly gives them some time under tension.

Either way, cleans are usually done in a low rep range vs. banging out multiple high rep sets of upright rows so it's still a different animal.

When I clean, it usually feels like a continuous chain of movement combining the deadlift, a (partially) bent over row and then a shrug before I drop under. I'm no olympic expert but it worked well for football.