Help me with my training split.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I have been doing a new training split the last 2 months, but I'm noticing more and more that I'm getting really tired and sore. This isn't a normal DOMS sore too it's like a very deep ack in the muscle.

This is the current training split.

Sun
Pull-ups 4sets
Bb rows 3 sets
Deadlifts 6 sets
Close grip pull-ups 3 sets
Bb shrugs 3sets
Decline crunch 3 sets
Db pinch 2 sets

Mon
Bb press 6 sets
Decline bb press 3 sets
Pec dec 3 sets
Db curls 3 sets
Cable bb curls 3 sets
Db side crunch 3 sets

Tues
Bb squats 4 sets
Front squat 3 sets
Bb lunges 3 sets
Hip abductors 3 sets
Seated calf raises 3 sets
V- crunch 3 sets

Wed
Shoulder press 6 sets
Rear pec dec 3 sets
Db side delt raises 3 sets
Dips 4 sets
Close bb press 3 sets
French press 3 sets
Rope crunches 3 sets

Thur

Lying leg curls 1 set
Good mornings 3 sets
Weighted bridges 3 sets
Incline bb press 3 sets
Incline db flys 3 sets

Fri off
Sat off

Age 26

Weight 255

Lifts

Bench 265
Deadlift 450
Squat 385
Standing shoulder press 175

Macros
Cals 3200
Protein 200-220
Carbs 250-300
Fat 100-150

That's just the minimum I shoot for I'm probably getting 4000-4500. My breakfast alone is 1000 calories daily.

Thats the routine I did last week, then I will switch out different exercises every week except for my big 3 and standing shoulder press. I stick to a range of about 12-8 depending on the exercise my big 3 I never go more then 8 reps though. I am currently following power lifting programs for my big 3.

I think my main issue is that I'm doing my b3 back to back at the beginning of my week and that's putting a lot of stress on my body. I was doing a four day routine a while ago but I find I can't push my hams as hard when I put them with quads, I'm just to tired by the end of quads. So that's why I went to 5 days. I'm going to cut out the upper chest day, that was my stupid bodybuilding mindset coming back. I'm trying to train for strength not aesthetics right now, because I would like to compete within the next 5 years.

These are my new ideas for training split.

Sun
Chest 3 ex
Bis 2 ex
Core 1 ex

Mon
Back 4ex
Traps 1ex
Core 1ex
Grip 1ex

Tues
Hams 2ex
Calfs 1 ex
Core 1ex

Wen
Delts 3 ex
Tris 3ex
Core 1 ex

Thur
Quads 4ex
Core 1ex

Fri off
Sat off

Second idea

Sun
Chest 3 ex
Bis 2 ex
Core 1 ex

Mon
Back 4ex
Traps 1ex
Core 1ex
Grip 1ex

Tue off

Wen
Quads 4ex
Calfs 1ex
Core 1ex

Thur
Delts 3 ex
Tris 3ex
Core 1ex

Fri night
Hams 2ex
Core 1ex

Sat off

The chest and back days would be interchangeable I usually do back on Sundays cause its slower at my gym so not as many people to complain about the noise from dead lifting. I can't workout Friday mornings because I watch my kids while my wife is at work, and I go in to work early that day. Saturday is right out also cause its one of only two days me and my wife see each other. But I figured Friday night wouldn't be to bad to do hams it would be 20-30 min tops in and out.

So tell me what you guys think, my current goals are to increase strength. Maybe I should switch to a 3 day split, it's just very hard for me to give up my old mindset of bodybuilding style training.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think your biggest improvement could be more rest days. I prefer random off days throughout the week.

Here's what I do:
Monday-Lower: Squats, Hams, Quads
Tuesday-Upper: Bench/Chest, Back, Tri/Bi
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Lower: Deads, Hams, Quads, Another back movement if time permits
Friday-Off
Saturday-Upper: Shoulders, Back, Tri/Bi
Subday-Off

Also check out Layne Norton's PHAT, which is a 5 day split. Just random ideas of what I like. We're all different. Just sharing ideas.

You're gonna drive yourself insane with all the different body parts. Think of things as a plane of movement: Horizontal pressing with rowing, vertical pressing with a vertical back movement. Deads are a leg exercise to me.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I think your biggest improvement could be more rest days. I prefer random off days throughout the week.

Here's what I do:
Monday-Lower: Squats, Hams, Quads
Tuesday-Upper: Bench/Chest, Back, Tri/Bi
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Lower: Deads, Hams, Quads, Another back movement if time permits
Friday-Off
Saturday-Upper: Shoulders, Back, Tri/Bi
Subday-Off

Also check out Layne Norton's PHAT, which is a 5 day split. Just random ideas of what I like. We're all different. Just sharing ideas.

You're gonna drive yourself insane with all the different body parts. Think of things as a plane of movement: Horizontal pressing with rowing, vertical pressing with a vertical back movement. Deads are a leg exercise to me.
See yeah, all of this is new to me. I have been reading up on nothing but bodybuilding style training for the last 11 years. For example how you do deads on a different day from back is completely foreign to me lol. But it does make sense.

Why do you do back, tris, bis 2 days a week? How many sets do you do of each ???

That is a pretty interesting routine it could definitely work for me but I would have to start Sundays.

Looking up phat now.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do Wendler's 5/3/1, which is more for pure strength but can work for hypertrophy purposes. The base of the template can still be applied though. Deadlifts don't really increase hypertrophy in the back. You're only using your back to stabilize the lift. Your legs are doing the majority of the work.

Example "Chest" Day

Bench Press
Dumbell Press 5x10
Barbell Row 5x10
Tri Pushdown/Bi Curls 5x10 ea
Face Pulls

PHAT will be more applicable to bodybuilding and might be more your taste. Ive gained plenty of size and strength doing a Lower/Upper/Lower/Upper split.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I do Wendler's 5/3/1, which is more for pure strength but can work for hypertrophy purposes. The base of the template can still be applied though. Deadlifts don't really increase hypertrophy in the back. You're only using your back to stabilize the lift. Your legs are doing the majority of the work.

Example "Chest" Day

Bench Press
Dumbell Press 5x10
Barbell Row 5x10
Tri Pushdown/Bi Curls 5x10 ea
Face Pulls

PHAT will be more applicable to bodybuilding and might be more your taste. Ive gained plenty of size and strength doing a Lower/Upper/Lower/Upper split.
Well to be honest I don't really care about bodybuilding all that much anymore. Takes to much time and money. Your routine sounds pretty intriguing, can you recommend any literature, I'm taking the next three days off to recover so I would like to soak up as much info as I can while I'm out of the gym.

I looked up phat, not really sure if I like it, Number one I didn't see any days where you deadlift. Deads are my favorite lift can't take them away from me.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Phat or 5/3/1 could work for you. With you wanting to focus on strength but have a heavy bodybuilding mentality try the cube method. Its a powerlifting routine but is heavy on bodybuilding for all accessory work. Even has a dedicated bodybuilding day.

If nothing else maybe a deload week is in order for you.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Phat or 5/3/1 could work for you. With you wanting to focus on strength but have a heavy bodybuilding mentality try the cube method. Its a powerlifting routine but is heavy on bodybuilding for all accessory work. Even has a dedicated bodybuilding day.

If nothing else maybe a deload week is in order for you.
Thanks any books on cube method?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3.html

Just another idea ^

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/531-2nd-edition-ebook-now-for-sale/
5/3/1 ^

The book is a necessity as no article or forum fully explains it. It's easy and fool proof though
x2 on the 5/3/1

you can branch off there later

I got a pretty lame split

Sun - chest
Tues - back
thurs - arms / shoulders
sat - legs

I've just been doing a ton of volume, really light weight

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am pretty much pulling the same wagon as the others.
If I add anything, it would be to put more focus, determination and attention into a small handful of exercises and getting as absolutely as strong as you can on a few of them (90% compounds)/(maybe the ones you are the best at). Remember that better does not mean more exercises or high tech splits, better means stronger/bigger and quality of the work. After you get a good foundation of your strengths and how you respond to the work and building up the capacity to do so, then you can branch out if you wish to get more technical.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Other good books you could probably get used/cheap

Keys To Progress/McCallum
Brawn or Beyond Brawn/McRobert
Hardgainers Bible/Steiner
Starting Strength/Rippetoe/Kilgore
Strongest Shall Survive/Starr
Stuff written by Anthony Ditillo et al. in the Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban
They have good solid proven routines that deal mostly with compound exercises and just getting larger and stronger all over.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Other good books you could probably get used/cheap Keys To Progress/McCallum Brawn or Beyond Brawn/McRobert Hardgainers Bible/Steiner Starting Strength/Rippetoe/Kilgore Strongest Shall Survive/Starr Stuff written by Anthony Ditillo et al. in the Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban They have good solid proven routines that deal mostly with compound exercises and just getting larger and stronger all over.
Wow thanks for the list, I'll start snagging some next week.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Just want to give you guys an update, I purchased 5,3,1 a few days ago and bought the cube method yesterday. Haven't been able to put the cube method down, I really like Brandon Lilly's philosophy it coincides with my beliefs heavily. It's still going to take some time for my bodybuilding head to wrap around the training routines, but I'm really excited to get started. Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep it simple and try not to overload on info.
You will go a lot farther not complicating things too much and putting the effort into the W/O's.
Have fun..!