squatting with the smith machine

JHENDRY412

Awards
Hi everyone , I am a new subscriber . My question is this : I do not have a squat rack but i do have a very nice smith machine . I have been doing only front squats and lunges for legs along with dead lifts but am limited with weight on the frint squats . I need to know if there is a good way to do back squats on the smith that does not hurt my lower back . I mean foot position or any other tricks to eleiminate the risk of back injury . Keep in mind I am in my 60's but no beginner . Thanks

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Keepin your feet in front of your body, basically using the weight of the bar to keep you stable. I usually will do splits and light squats, ass to the floor style

JHENDRY412

Awards
Thanks , so you are saying heavy squats are too much of a risk ? Split squats are basically one legged squats with the other leg planted on a bench behind you ?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Feet out front is a good way to mimic hack squats. It's a good quad and glute developer, and can help some with strength.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One of the problems with machines per se, is that you have a dictated bar path and not a natural one. Most free weight exercises will not have the bar path going straight up and down. There is an "s" type curve to many free weight lifts. Also, one can feel they may be safe from an injury just because it is a machine, but at times people tend to squirm or move or twist their bodies/spines in poor ways *under loads in order to complete a desired number of reps, so the form fails and a strain can ensue.
That all said, if one is careful not to use loads that are too heavy and ROMS that have the body trying to compensate for the limiting path, it is probably okay to use at least for some exercises. I am probably more free weight bias, so take that for what it is worth.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
as everyone else already said, you have to mimic hack squats with the smith machine. and make sure when you log the weight, you dont add the 45lbs that the bar is supposed to weigh. smiths counter weighthe bar so its like 1lb

laess92

laess92

Awards
I have the same issue. I work out at a gym that only has smith machines. I put a bench underneath me and do box squats . Feet out a little ahead of you and your back stays straight as you lower to a seated position 90 degree bend in knees slow down as your butt it about to hit and when it touches don't unload the weight just go back up.

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone , I am a new subscriber . My question is this : I do not have a squat rack but i do have a very nice smith machine . I have been doing only front squats and lunges for legs along with dead lifts but am limited with weight on the frint squats . I need to know if there is a good way to do back squats on the smith that does not hurt my lower back . I mean foot position or any other tricks to eleiminate the risk of back injury . Keep in mind I am in my 60's but no beginner . Thanks
What are your goals exactly? I do not like the smith machine for anything at all, i do not see any functionality in using one. Ive personally worked with clients that have been in there late 60-70 with knee replacements (postPT) and have them start with air squats working there way up. i think the most important thing for anyone is functionality, you being in your 60s ( much respect) should always work towards function.

do you have DB or KB or anything else to use as a substitute?