Smith Machine no good?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are two at my gym. I thought of using them when other areas were in use. I have read a lot of dislike on the Internet when I Google Smith machines. To me it appears as a bar rack with built-in safeguards in case of failure and no spotter/aid is present.

I notice folks use them for squats, overhead press, bench/incline press(with bench added) etc.

Am I mistaken?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I do a lot of rowing on them, and sometimes SLDLs. I like it more than the normal BB rows

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, they suck and are not a replacement for a regular rack. You don't want to rely on the rack for guidance and stabilization.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smith has a handful of exercises that I would use. pressing moves like bench, shoulder press and squats I wouldn't though. It's no where near a natural range of motion and even though you are supported by the guide bars you can injure yourself.

Close grip bench to isolate the triceps and maybe bent over rows would be about all I can think of off the top of my head to use it for.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Yes, they suck and are not a replacement for a regular rack. You don't want to rely on the rack for guidance and stabilization.
you can really slow the tempo and focus on the stretch / contraction tho!

Touey

Touey

Awards
It belong in Smithsonian with other ancient artifacts

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the smith machine is a great asset to use to switch things up.

Ive used it for shoulder press, shrugs, rows, SLDL, modified rack deads, close grip bench press, incline press, JM presses.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Who said as a replacement....just cause you don't like it doesn't make it suck

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do I really need to put "in my opinion" to understand that? When someone says something sucks, it generally means it is what they think.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, I appreciate all of the posts. I did not think it would be an issue if I am just moving in a strict vertical plane without deviation. Injuries I can do without. I notice at the gym there is the right way to do something and so many wrong ways that lead to injuries. Ironic you go there to better your health and can hurt yourself as well.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Who said as a replacement....just cause you don't like it doesn't make it suck
i dont say its a replacement to a bar with a cage as a bar with a cage are free weights and smith machine is just that, a machine. its a replacement to other machines but NOT a replacement to free weights. so like or dislike has nothing to do with it.

its like hammer strength, its still a machine. it doesnt matter that its loaded with plates for resistance. its still a fixed path for the exercise. therefore, it is a machine.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i dont say its a replacement to a bar with a cage as a bar with a cage are free weights and smith machine is just that, a machine. its a replacement to other machines but NOT a replacement to free weights. so like or dislike has nothing to do with it.

its like hammer strength, its still a machine. it doesnt matter that its loaded with plates for resistance. its still a fixed path for the exercise. therefore, it is a machine.
Agreed.

Treat it as a machine and understand it comes with the same limitations machines do.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i wouldn't rely on the smith everytime you train....i do however have no problem using the smith machine if the gym is packed and i can't get on a bench or a rack

i also used to use the smith machine sometimes for shoulder press because the regular press at my old gym didn't adjust and it was too far back and it was awkward to unrack decent weight and almost have to pull it forward to do the movement

compudog

compudog

Awards
IMO the Smith machine is the worst possible machine, because it's a barbell and people try to use it for barbell lifts, i.e. *heavy* lifting. The problem is, the motion is entirely linear, but no barbell lift is entirely linear. So the risk of injury is exceptionally high, far more than most machines.

There are lots of other (single purpose) machines that are a lot better, i.e. produce a more natural movement. When you look at it that way the Smith is like another poster pointed out, not much more than an interesting antique.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Smith machine has it's pros and cons. It's great for rehabbing injuries, it can play a great role in strength developement if employed properly, and gives reassurance in safety when performing heavy sets. Rest/pause training is also a great training protocol to use on a Smith machine. Injuries on the Smith machine occur when people are trying to do things properly, but line up improperly. I've corrected many clients on form in the Smith machine and seen great improvements in strength and physical developement. Explosive work can be performed for pure speed and power w/o the risk of injury for athletes. It's really only the UNINFORMED and UNEDUCATED who get injured on Smith machines.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
personally, i like to mix it up. a few weeks i will do bench and stuff on the smith then I will get off of it for a while. I always use it for Reverse Grip Bench

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I don't really care for it, but it has its place every now and then.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
You'd have to be a ****ing moron to injure yourself on the Smith machine

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bahahaha. when i was rehabbing my shoulder all i did was smith. loved it. now with my ankle, i do front squats on smith until its 100% again.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I imagine the same people that squat regularly in the smith rack are the same the walk over and do curls in the squat rack. Get out of my gym.

Touey

Touey

Awards
Ditch the smith machine..forget that piece of equipment exists, you cannot get a full, natural ROM on it.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
Ditch the smith machine..forget that piece of equipment exists, you cannot get a full, natural ROM on it.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
lol, prefect.

/thread

compudog

compudog

Awards
I'm 46 and I bench around 300 lb. I would never try a heavy bench on a smith. I tried with about half that once and my shoulders nearly blew up. I guess it's all relative to what you call "heavy". I've seen people use a smith for squats, with a dime per side.... Which is ok. There's little chance of injury with super light weights, at that level it doesn't matter whether it's a smith machine or a pink kettlebell.