Best tricep exercise

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0

    Best tricep exercise


    Ok so I need to know some really good tricep exercises for strength and power, the only catch is I'm training solo so I don't have any spots. So what would be the best tri exercises for strength and power u can do without a spot?

  2. Registered User
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,374
    Answers
    0


    by solo do you mean like home gym, or just not with a partner? if its the latter, just learn to break that shyness and ask for a spot on your heaviest sets. eventually youll find 2-3 reliables that wont spot like a jackass and work out the same time as you

    you also gotta realize that strength and power are two different goals. strength revolves around max load movements like bench press variations.

    power involves max velocity movements, think of sport related or being able to push someone/something out of your way. which one do you really want?
  3. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    by solo do you mean like home gym, or just not with a partner? if its the latter, just learn to break that shyness and ask for a spot on your heaviest sets. eventually youll find 2-3 reliables that wont spot like a jackass and work out the same time as you

    you also gotta realize that strength and power are two different goals. strength revolves around max load movements like bench press variations.

    power involves max velocity movements, think of sport related or being able to push someone/something out of your way. which one do you really want?
    Its the latter except I know almost every single person at the gym I go to because I've been going there for 5 years its just now that school has started again I go when it's a graveyard so there isn't anyone to ask except really old mean and extremely skinny women and dudes so those arent viable options. I guess I'd like tricep exercises that would aid best in increasing bench press and also power, would there be any movements I could do for these that I can do without a spot or am I hopeless till intercession?
    •   
       

  4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    JM presses and dips

    As far as the power thing goes, I'm growing to freaking hate that everyone thinks that you can't build power with near maximal effort. To quote Dr Fred Hatfield aka Dr Squat, "You can't move a heavy weight slow." When you look at the top raw lifters, very few of them actually put a huge emphasis on the DE.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    JM presses and dips

    As far as the power thing goes, I'm growing to freaking hate that everyone thinks that you can't build power with near maximal effort. To quote Dr Fred Hatfield aka Dr Squat, "You can't move a heavy weight slow." When you look at the top raw lifters, very few of them actually put a huge emphasis on the DE.
    I've been doing skull crushers, I could never get the hang of the jm press I learn best from someone showing me I can't grasp it from reading and watching videos but is it kinda like a skull crusher where u lower it to the neck instead but then instead of extending back up u press it back up like a close grip? And would it be beneficial to maybe try something like a DE tricep movement?
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    I've been doing skull crushers, I could never get the hang of the jm press I learn best from someone showing me I can't grasp it from reading and watching videos but is it kinda like a skull crusher where u lower it to the neck instead but then instead of extending back up u press it back up like a close grip? And would it be beneficial to maybe try something like a DE tricep movement?
    They're meant to awkward as the leverage is against you. I use a false grip on them and keep the weight on the outside of the palm. DE is meant for compound movements, not isolations.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    JM presses and dips

    As far as the power thing goes, I'm growing to freaking hate that everyone thinks that you can't build power with near maximal effort. To quote Dr Fred Hatfield aka Dr Squat, "You can't move a heavy weight slow." When you look at the top raw lifters, very few of them actually put a huge emphasis on the DE.
    You knew that this would bring me out of the wood work.

    You can be damn sure they are utilizing some means of plyometric programming which in turn qualifies as dynamic effort. Not that power can't be built using near maximal percentages its only a piece of the puzzle that can not stand alone as the sole contributor to the increase in (inter)intramuscular coordination needed to see performance changes.
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post

    You knew that this would bring me out of the wood work.

    You can be damn sure they are utilizing some means of plyometric programming which in turn qualifies as dynamic effort. Not that power can't be built using near maximal percentages its only a piece of the puzzle that can not stand alone as the sole contributor to the increase in (inter)intramuscular coordination needed to see performance changes.
    I have yet to see Karwoski, Green, Lilliebridge, Tuchscherer, etc. utilizing any DE.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    alphanik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    Ok so I need to know some really good tricep exercises for strength and power, the only catch is I'm training solo so I don't have any spots. So what would be the best tri exercises for strength and power u can do without a spot?
    Dips and close grip bench work best for me..
  10. Registered User
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    I have yet to see Karwoski, Green, Lilliebridge, Tuchscherer, etc. utilizing any DE.
    You train with them?

    Remove it from the powerlifting sense for a minute. You have an athlete who needs to run faster and jump higher. Do you only have the pull a heavy sled and squat heavy? The answer is unequivocally, no. Because the body needs each piece of the puzzle (stimuli) to establish the (inter)intramuscular
    coordination/capabilities necessary to produce high speed movements with maximal force. And now back to powerlifting the reason why it has come into question by the individuals you cite is because time is not a consideration in powerlifting the way it is in other sports/actions.

    Agree to disagree I just needed to add my two cents and broaden the horizons of the nay say to DE.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    wicked442's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6,296
    Answers
    1


    Weighted dips, single bar dips, tricep pushdowns with rope, close grip push ups.
  12. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,804
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    As far as the power thing goes, I'm growing to freaking hate that everyone thinks that you can't build power with near maximal effort. To quote Dr Fred Hatfield aka Dr Squat, "You can't move a heavy weight slow." When you look at the top raw lifters, very few of them actually put a huge emphasis on the DE.
    Agree, but I still use them even though I cannot prove to you they transfer to my max pulls.
    And yes, Tuchscherer wrote an article pretty much against it.
    Why Speed Work Doesn't Work - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems
  13. Registered User
    thegodfather's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,045
    Answers
    0


    Weighted bench dips with a dumbbell between my legs always blows up my triceps. Regular dips are king but they mess with my already bad shoulders too much.
    Remember why you started.
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    wicked442's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6,296
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Weighted bench dips with a dumbbell between my legs always blows up my triceps. Regular dips are king but they mess with my already bad shoulders too much.
    Im just the opp. Bench dips with palms back are hell on my shoulders, but i agree dips are king.
  15. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    I have yet to see Karwoski, Green, Lilliebridge, Tuchscherer, etc. utilizing any DE.
    Wait so are u for or against de work?
  16. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,468
    Answers
    3


    I like rolling tricep extensions. Either with a curl bar or swiss bar rolling it on the ground toward your head, or using dumbbells, resting them on the ground, and then using a little momentum to get them off the ground. Tate presses are good as well, and I also like CGBP with a safety squat bar. JMs are king, but I don't feel I perform them properly at higher percentages.

    Rolling Tri
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX2wpzk6ESw

    My interpretation of the JM, done a little stricter so I keep myself honest.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap5-cT7nX6I
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  17. Registered User
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,118
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    I like rolling tricep extensions. Either with a curl bar or swiss bar rolling it on the ground toward your head, or using dumbbells, resting them on the ground, and then using a little momentum to get them off the ground. Tate presses are good as well, and I also like CGBP with a safety squat bar. JMs are king, but I don't feel I perform them properly at higher percentages.

    Rolling Tri
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX2wpzk6ESw

    My interpretation of the JM, done a little stricter so I keep myself honest.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap5-cT7nX6I
    I was under the impression that you don't go full ROM to limit shoulder rotation. Granted, I actually taped myself doing them today because I have no idea if I do them right.

    Referring to JM press. Aside from that I actually like all the same movements as you man. Sometimes if I'm feeling weak ill do some rope push downs or something.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  18. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    I'm probably going to catch hell for this...

    If you're training alone, hit heavy ass CGBP on the smith. It takes some positioning to get the bar placement just right, but honestly I used to do only these & dips for a long time. My triceps are hands down the strongest part of my BP, so it must've worked.

    I simply like them because there's total tricep isolation. No stabilizers, no bar path fight, just PRESS.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  19. Registered User
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I'm probably going to catch hell for this...

    If you're training alone, hit heavy ass CGBP on the smith. It takes some positioning to get the bar placement just right, but honestly I used to do only these & dips for a long time. My triceps are hands down the strongest part of my BP, so it must've worked.

    I simply like them because there's total tricep isolation. No stabilizers, no bar path fight, just PRESS.
    I'm usually against the Smith quite a bit but it has a few exercises I enjoy on it.

    CGBP is definitely one of those few exercises I enjoy on the Smith. Like you said, the isolation is terrific.
  20. Registered User
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,454
    Answers
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJoey View Post

    I'm usually against the Smith quite a bit but it has a few exercises I enjoy on it.

    CGBP is definitely one of those few exercises I enjoy on the Smith. Like you said, the isolation is terrific.
    X2 here

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  21. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,804
    Answers
    0


    Also, maybe as a finisher, I have used a band looped over a chin bar or pin in the rack Tate did these a bit. (so you can set or adjust some tension) As the arms get straighter, you gain more leverage and ability to use more tension, thus exercising better, the easy part of the ROM/lift.
  22. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJoey View Post
    I'm usually against the Smith quite a bit but it has a few exercises I enjoy on it.

    CGBP is definitely one of those few exercises I enjoy on the Smith. Like you said, the isolation is terrific.
    Agreed; I'll blast damn near everyone for Smith exercises, which is why I figured I'd catch he'll for suggesting it.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  23. Registered User
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    355
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    JM presses and dips

    As far as the power thing goes, I'm growing to freaking hate that everyone thinks that you can't build power with near maximal effort. To quote Dr Fred Hatfield aka Dr Squat, "You can't move a heavy weight slow." When you look at the top raw lifters, very few of them actually put a huge emphasis on the DE.
    Tried the JM Presses tonight, triceps absolutely blasted.

    Will certainly be a staple from here on out!
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    You train with them?

    Remove it from the powerlifting sense for a minute. You have an athlete who needs to run faster and jump higher. Do you only have the pull a heavy sled and squat heavy? The answer is unequivocally, no. Because the body needs each piece of the puzzle (stimuli) to establish the (inter)intramuscular
    coordination/capabilities necessary to produce high speed movements with maximal force. And now back to powerlifting the reason why it has come into question by the individuals you cite is because time is not a consideration in powerlifting the way it is in other sports/actions.

    Agree to disagree I just needed to add my two cents and broaden the horizons of the nay say to DE.
    Their respective templates/logs are not hard to find. BS straw man argument aside, if you think time is not a factor in PL'ing, then you have shown a gross lack of understanding of the entire techniques involved and you're more or less taking a template popularized by geared lifters and universally applying it to raw lifter. Hell, even many geared lifters have removed the DE from their respective templates in favor of more SE and RE work.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    Wait so are u for or against de work?
    Against. A lot of the principles of the conjugate system are from Oly lifters (e.g. Prilepin's chart) and can only be marginally applied to PL'ing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  25. Registered User
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Their respective templates/logs are not hard to find. BS straw man argument aside, if you think time is not a factor in PL'ing, then you have shown a gross lack of understanding of the entire techniques involved and you're more or less taking a template popularized by geared lifters and universally applying it to raw lifter. Hell, even many geared lifters have removed the DE from their respective templates in favor of more SE and RE work.

    Against. A lot of the principles of the conjugate system are from Oly lifters (e.g. Prilepin's chart) and can only be marginally applied to PL'ing.
    Sarcasm...doubt their logs include each and every aspect of their training. To top that off the ring leader of the JTS crew, some of which you have listed,, is an avid proponent of plyometrics done for any strength athlete.

    "If you attempt a squat in a meet and grind it for 15 or 20 seconds, but complete the lift for white lights, yet your competitor completes the same weight in 3 seconds, who wins? Assume both of you move up 5 pounds and miss. The answer is you tie (or win/lose based on bodyweight which is pretty much a tie) because there is NO time component to powerlifting. Despite the name, power (in the physics sense) is not what you care about as a powerlifter. You care about force." -Mike Tuchscherer

    So you can contradict an individual who you cite and is at the forefront of your counter argument, but I take a broader approach to the application and efficacy of DE, in respect to sport where velocity is a more prevalent factor and its a BS "straw man" argument. Haha your a funny guy. Always with the personal attacks on other's understanding. It seems to me it just comes as a by product of not being able to see past the tip of your own nose but nonetheless. Just out of curiosity where is your M. Ed from?

    At no point did I say that velocity and acceleration are not an important part of physics, as you have falsely assumed and proceeded to then base a personal attack on. What I did refer to is its place in powerlifting competition, much to the same effect as Tuchscherers' statement.

    Again a wrong assumption I actually do not and have not applied any template used by geared lifters. What I did was challenge a nay say of the efficacy of dynamic exercise with regards to increasing potential for power output. At no point does the OP even ask about powerlifting he speaks about power in the physics sense and strength. The most explosive athletes in the world utilize some means of dynamic programming but I guess the physiological adaptations they yield just cease to exist when in the context of powerlifting, right?

    You also shot yourself in the foot right from the start power can not be built only produced. So your going to tell me that utilizing exercise that establishes and increases the (inter)intramuscular coordination necessary to move the body at high speeds while maintaining optimal positioning in reference to anthropometric measure and mechanical advantages in order to produce power is not beneficial...
    I think it's time to take your gross understanding back to the drawing board.
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Sarcasm...doubt their logs include each and every aspect of their training. To top that off the ring leader of the JTS crew, some of which you have listed,, is an avid proponent of plyometrics done for any strength athlete.

    "If you attempt a squat in a meet and grind it for 15 or 20 seconds, but complete the lift for white lights, yet your competitor completes the same weight in 3 seconds, who wins? Assume both of you move up 5 pounds and miss. The answer is you tie (or win/lose based on bodyweight which is pretty much a tie) because there is NO time component to powerlifting. Despite the name, power (in the physics sense) is not what you care about as a powerlifter. You care about force." -Mike Tuchscherer

    So you can contradict an individual who you cite and is at the forefront of your counter argument, but I take a broader approach to the application and efficacy of DE, in respect to sport where velocity is a more prevalent factor and its a BS "straw man" argument. Haha your a funny guy. Always with the personal attacks on other's understanding. It seems to me it just comes as a by product of not being able to see past the tip of your own nose but nonetheless. Just out of curiosity where is your M. Ed from?

    At no point did I say that velocity and acceleration are not an important part of physics, as you have falsely assumed and proceeded to then base a personal attack on. What I did refer to is its place in powerlifting competition, much to the same effect as Tuchscherers' statement.

    Again a wrong assumption I actually do not and have not applied any template used by geared lifters. What I did was challenge a nay say of the efficacy of dynamic exercise with regards to increasing potential for power output. At no point does the OP even ask about powerlifting he speaks about power in the physics sense and strength. The most explosive athletes in the world utilize some means of dynamic programming but I guess the physiological adaptations they yield just cease to exist when in the context of powerlifting, right?

    You also shot yourself in the foot right from the start power can not be built only produced. So your going to tell me that utilizing exercise that establishes and increases the (inter)intramuscular coordination necessary to move the body at high speeds while maintaining optimal positioning in reference to anthropometric measure and mechanical advantages in order to produce power is not beneficial...
    I think it's time to take your gross understanding back to the drawing board.
    If you're going to be snarky and facetious, which you have a habit of doing, you might want to learn what a straw man argument is and how it is not a personal attack.

    You're constantly adding to my position in an attempt to strengthen your argument and at no point did I personally attack you, but you actually did towards me.

    Now, back to the task at hand...plyometrics=/DE just as a DE=/plyometrics. The difference, and this is critical, is if eccentric motion is involved. The number one proponent of the DE is Louie Simmons and his American version of the conjugate system and guess what this is mainly used for....geared lifters!! The OP has PL aspirations, which I can see you missed, so that is why I applied it to that sense and ignored the other athletic aspirations.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  27. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,167
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    Their respective templates/logs are not hard to find. BS straw man argument aside, if you think time is not a factor in PL'ing, then you have shown a gross lack of understanding of the entire techniques involved and you're more or less taking a template popularized by geared lifters and universally applying it to raw lifter. Hell, even many geared lifters have removed the DE from their respective templates in favor of more SE and RE work.

    Against. A lot of the principles of the conjugate system are from Oly lifters (e.g. Prilepin's chart) and can only be marginally applied to PL'ing.
    SE?

    I'm familiar with ME, RE, and DE.


    Learn me something.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  28. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    SE?

    I'm familiar with ME, RE, and DE.


    Learn me something.
    Submaximal Effort. It's kinda the bastard child of the ME and RE.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  29. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,167
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    Submaximal Effort. It's kinda the bastard child of the ME and RE.
    That's all I could think of when looking at it, can't say I hear a lot about that.

    Although I see a ton of RE work done in PLing rotations.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  30. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    That's all I could think of when looking at it, can't say I hear a lot about that.

    Although I see a ton of RE work done in PLing rotations.
    It's somewhat integrated and just renamed a supplemental exercise, which is generally somewhere in the 5-8 range.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  31. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    What type of bar speed do you use with SE training?
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  32. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    What type of bar speed do you use with SE training?
    This is going to depend on the day and how "primed" a person is, but if the user is using a 5RM (arbitrary example), the first 2-3 will be with solid speed, but the bar will slow down precipitously after that with the last one most likely being a grinder.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  33. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    This is going to depend on the day and how "primed" a person is, but if the user is using a 5RM (arbitrary example), the first 2-3 will be with solid speed, but the bar will slow down precipitously after that with the last one most likely being a grinder.
    I'll admit that was baiting on my part.

    What I'm after is what methodology applies to SE training that makes it superior to, or a replacement for DE sessions? Seems the % and theoretical application are similar.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  34. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I'll admit that was baiting on my part.

    What I'm after is what methodology applies to SE training that makes it superior to, or a replacement for DE sessions? Seems the % and theoretical application are similar.
    Ah, the difference is the load is going to have better carryover. A SE is going to be something of a strength/hypertrophy hybrid that is going to prime the overall strength of the user without excessively taxing the CNS. My main contention with the DE for PL'ing (don't want someone to take this statement and apply it to everything) is carryover: the load is often too light to true improvements. I treat it as something that is done merely as a deload instead of making it a true staple. Bar speed should ALWAYS be at a premium and the objective during EVERY set even at near 1RM weights.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  35. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Ah, the difference is the load is going to have better carryover. A SE is going to be something of a strength/hypertrophy hybrid that is going to prime the overall strength of the user without excessively taxing the CNS. My main contention with the DE for PL'ing (don't want someone to take this statement and apply it to everything) is carryover: the load is often too light to true improvements. I treat it as something that is done merely as a deload instead of making it a true staple. Bar speed should ALWAYS be at a premium and the objective during EVERY set even at near 1RM weights.
    Very interesting...
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  36. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

    Very interesting...
    I too am liking this info
  37. Registered User
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    If you're going to be snarky and facetious, which you have a habit of doing, you might want to learn what a straw man argument is and how it is not a personal attack.

    You're constantly adding to my position in an attempt to strengthen your argument and at no point did I personally attack you, but you actually did towards me.

    Now, back to the task at hand...plyometrics=/DE just as a DE=/plyometrics. The difference, and this is critical, is if eccentric motion is involved. The number one proponent of the DE is Louie Simmons and his American version of the conjugate system and guess what this is mainly used for....geared lifters!! The OP has PL aspirations, which I can see you missed, so that is why I applied it to that sense and ignored the other athletic aspirations.
    I was not referring to your straw man reference as a personal attack. It was your wrongful assumption, based on my time statement, that prompted you to try to undermine my understanding, which you have a habit of doing. That is what in turn prompted my facetious comments. In fact I made an attempt to leave it off with an agree to disagree. My addition to the discussion was that the application of dynamics to a program whether they be the DE or some other form is a piece of the puzzle that can't be ignored as beneficial due to the adaptations that ensue as a product of their use.

    I did not try to intertwine DE in the strict westside sense with plyometrics and I make the distinction never using "dynamic effort" and plyometrics or dynamic exercise interchangeably. With that said though still all three phases (eccentric amortization concentric) are achieved in a DE squat and bench.

    He doesn't mention it in this thread, to my knowledge, so I did miss that and was my reason for expanding the discussion outside of the typical DE discussion.
  38. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post

    I was not referring to your straw man reference as a personal attack. It was your wrongful assumption, based on my time statement, that prompted you to try to undermine my understanding, which you have a habit of doing. That is what in turn prompted my facetious comments. In fact I made an attempt to leave it off with an agree to disagree. My addition to the discussion was that the application of dynamics to a program whether they be the DE or some other form is a piece of the puzzle that can't be ignored as beneficial due to the adaptations that ensue as a product of their use.

    I did not try to intertwine DE in the strict westside sense with plyometrics and I make the distinction never using "dynamic effort" and plyometrics or dynamic exercise interchangeably. With that said though still all three phases (eccentric amortization concentric) are achieved in a DE squat and bench.

    He doesn't mention it in this thread, to my knowledge, so I did miss that and was my reason for expanding the discussion outside of the typical DE discussion.
    This is a waste of time with you. Seriously, you talk in circles, use fallacious arguments, and spew off on tangents.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  39. Registered User
    IronTale's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  440 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0


    For me it's dips and CGBP's
  40. Registered User
    Joe_P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    178
    Answers
    0


    Do close grips to the pins in the power rack.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best shoulder exercises for a beginner
    By \/\_FIERCE_/\/ in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM
  2. Best tricep exercise?
    By tbarrows in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 11:55 PM
  3. Good DC Triceps exercise
    By jdev in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 08:24 PM
  4. What's your favorite Triceps exercise?
    By thesinner in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 07:06 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in