Help Out a College Student

W

W13NY

Awards
Hows it going guys I was just looking for a little help diet / routine wise.

So this semester is probably the busiest ive ever been with school / work / internship. I feel like im always on the run 12 hours a day between classes and hitting the gym in between work. I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on some good high calorie, high protein and high carb meals on the go because I only get time to sit down and actually eat a full meal 2-3 times a day and that isnt enough to be gaining the weight I want. With that being said heres some info

Weight: 185 (Goal is 195 by Dec 21)
Height: 5'11
Years Training: 5

My general workout routine is as follows:

*Warmups and Abs are not included

Back - Mon
Rack Pulls 3 Sets
Reverse BB Rows 3 Sets
Wide Grip Pullups 4 Sets
DB Rows 3 Sets
Narrow Grip Pulldowns 3 Sets

Shoulders & Tris - Tues
DB Press 3 Sets
DB Side Raises Superset w/ Front Raises 3 Sets
Face Pulls 3 Sets
Shrugs 5 Sets

CGBP - 3 Sets
Dips - Sets
Skullcrushers - 3 Sets

Legs & Bis - Thurs
Squats 3 Sets
Leg Press 3 Sets
Leg Extensions 3 Sets
Leg Curls 4 Sets
Calf Press 3 Sets
Standing Calf Raises 3 Sets

BB Curls 3 Sets
Hammer Curls 3 Sets
Preacher Curls 3 Sets

Chest - Fri
Flat BB 3 Sets
Incline DB 3 Sets
Decline BB 2 Sets
Incline DB Flys 3 Sets

My diet is normally:

Upon Awakening: 1 Scoop Shake
Meal 1: 4-5 Eggs w/ Cheese on Toast
Meal 2: 2 Scoop Shake w/ PB and Milk (post workout)
Meal 3: Some type of sandwhich since im on the run or at work
Meal 4: Chicken with Rice
Meal 5: Some type of pasta with more chicken
Meal 6: 1.5 Scoop Casein Shake

Clearly my meals are slacking since I dont get much time like I use to so again if anyone has any good meals for on the go please let me know it will definitely be a big help

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Im a little lazy and its late but it looks like your missing a good amount of calories like you noted. With the 2-3 meals you know you can sit for 15-20mins eat WELL, then supp a meal replacement bar or shake to help fill in the gaps and snacks. Worked great for me in college with football, clinic duty, and other team practices. Try and count your calories and figure out how much your getting over the course of 2-3 days. Post up what you have and hopefully some of our more nutrition minded folks can set you on a better path. Your not bad off, but the hard thing will be eating enough. When in school and on the go, Ensure saved my life and I needed it just to maintain my weight. Meal prep usually takes away from studying and time better spent sleeping and since ya work, Id say its better to just take the meal replacement on the goBest meal to keep around as a cheap holdover is spaghetti. Beef, Turkey, Chicken, Hotdogs on some low budget weeks and sauce is always cheap and will last a few meals. Easily portable in Tupperware and has never given me GI issues but I always find someones fridge to store if not eating within that hour. Any reason you only use 3 sets on your main lifts? Id say bump those sets on to 5.Hope a little of this helped some as Im no expert....yet lol

Last edited:
Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
poptarts
eggs (hardboil and transport in container)
raw eggs (takes a minute from preparation through consumption)
frosted wheaties
homemade protein bars

Honestly, packing in calories is real easy. If you need even more on top of that, supplement with sugared soda (as opposed to sugar free varieties), drink whole milk more, buy some egg and sausage bagels, etc. Get nasty.

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
poptarts
eggs (hardboil and transport in container)
raw eggs (takes a minute from preparation through consumption)
frosted wheaties
homemade protein bars

Honestly, packing in calories is real easy. If you need even more on top of that, supplement with sugared soda (as opposed to sugar free varieties), drink whole milk more, buy some egg and sausage bagels, etc. Get nasty.
I'm not sure pop tarts and soda are going to provide the type of weight gain OP is after.

I'm in the same situation man, almost exactly. School 2 days a week, work 3 days a week (12 hr shifts), and internship 2 days a week. Most of my free time needs to be spent on HW or I'll likely fail. I try and his the gym 3 times a week but honesty, it usually only ends up being twice a week.

I keep telling myself its only temporary and if you're in this lifestyle for the long run, the gym isn't going anywhere and stressing about that on top of normal college stress is a bad combination.

For food, peanuts are a great snack on the go and can give you 400 cals in a few handfuls. Subway has become my best friend (it's Subtember!)

If you're a big eater in the morning, take advantage of it. I have an oatmeal concoction I do every day that consists of 1 cup oatmeal, 3 T peanut butter, 1 cup whole milk, 1-2 scoops of protein powder. I can hit nearly 1000 cals before even leaving the house. I also make it thin enough (add a little water) that I can take it on the go and simply drink my oatmeal on the way to work!

S

s0briquet

Awards
well, for calorie dense things on the go, nuts are really hard to beat. peanuts and almonds have great nutrient profiles - throw in some dried fruit (but keep that more limited) and you've got a heap of calories and good nutrients. Fat free mozzarella sticks can help push the balance a little more in favor of protein, and are easy to keep with you while being busy around campus. For carbs and fiber - maybe your local grocery has some baked sweet potato chips - easy to carry around, and are a great carb source (just make sure that they are not fried or have lots of empty oils added if you want to keep your intake a bit cleaner). Also, if you can stick a protein/carb shake into your backpack, that'll help keep your calories up. And while pre-made protein bars are not great to eat often, they can really help out in a pinch when you've got nothing else and you're already out on campus or our or whatever. Just keep a close eye on the nutrition label if you do pick some up.