New training program help

banksy2020

banksy2020

Awards
I want to start doing some all body workouts, My schedule has been kind of hectic lately and the time I can spend in the gym seems to be going out the window, I do get about three solid days in there for sure, but since it is like that I want to do some full body stuff, The other day I just started toying with the idea, I did benchpress, squats, dead lifts, wide grip pull ups, lat pull downs, some farmer carries, back extensions, and maybe one other exercise. The problem I feel though I will not be getting enough exercises for each particular group, but I for that same reason I feel I will not be over training even if I do get to go to the gym more than three times a week. Any ideas or maybe some better routines you guys have would be awesome!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Look at 5x5 routines. Madcow 5x5 is an example.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I recently hit a #605 PR deadlift (and gained about #10-#12 lbs) doing full body 2-3 times per week with just a handful of exercises. The quality of the work & effort done on a few good select moves, will always trump thinking you need "more exercises".

I was doing...
Day #1
Deads (then 1 assistance variation say RDL's)
OHPs
Rows

Day #2
BP's
Squats (then maybe 1 assistance say GM's)
Pull Dwns or chins
Triceps

Day #3
Speed Pulls (maybe a little quad work)
DBOHP's (lite work)
Bench Rows
Maybe hanging leg raises

weekend off then rinse & repeat...

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, (and thanks for the encouragement) I have a log on another forum and was mostly focused on getting the dead up over #600-#625.
My pressing is so horrid anymore, (#225-#230x1) that it is almost a (just sustain it) lift with some volume and multi sets of 1x's 3x's 5x's.
I was coming off of an almost Smolovesque 3x per week dead/squat routine and had to move my pressing/shoulders into those W/O's. So I just ended up doing a heavy DL sessions and assistances, with some pressing and rowing afterwards. (I always do some kind of rows/back work with deads or usually squats) I then did squats with a med. load adding in speed band of chain pulls, as the DL heavy 2-3 days a week, started to really eat me up after about 5 or so weeks.
I think I actually got some good supercomensation from it, since at first the #600 kinda "grinded" up, then about a month later with less frequent work and some higher rack pulling, (15" pin pulls) I did 2 good singles with the #605 and they were not real grinders. I think that is also around the same time I did my #500x8 T&G off the floor.
I am not saying you can gain "constantly" on full body heavy W/O's, as I am back to splits again now like the (Triumvirate say), but for the period and the extra work and food, it was pretty cool, since I am in my 50's and am only using OTC supplements.

A sample week from log...
Monday 10/18
Deads #135x8, #225x5 #315x1 #405x1
Work #465 2x2

Deficit RDL's #405 x5

Squats clse stanc #275 x8 (for quads mostly)

CGBP's #135 x5
#155 x3
#175 x6x5

BBRows #180 x3
#200 4x9

Tri Presses #95 4x7

Surgs #365 3x15
---------------------------------------

Wednesday: 10/20

Deads #135x8 #225x5 #315x2 #405x1
#465 x3x2

RDL's #315 x12

Squats #225 x8x2

OHP's #125 x5x4

Chins BW only 5x5 (about 45-60 secs betwn)

Tri Presses #70 5x12

----------------------------------

Friday 10/22
Deads #135x10 #225x5 #315x3 #405x2
Work #465 x5 (all paused reset pull)

Deficit RDL's #315 x8x2

Speedish Squats clse stance #225 +#100 chains x2x6 (40-60 btwn sets for some quad firing)

CGBP's #175 x5x5

Low Cable Rows #240 x8x4

Tri Presses #95 x8x4

Surgs #405 x15x3

I did not continue too much after this with constant heavy every other day lifts, but I still was doing speed work and full body stuff. I could feel when I would go to bed at night, that I was getting worked good, as it felt so good to lay down. Ha ha ha

Joe_P

Awards
Buy Bryants ebook at elitefts.com. It is a good read, and I structured my bench training off of it right now. It is more volume than I am used to. I will have one of the workout posted tonight in my log. That is a really good dead bye the way. is there a reason you only do close grips.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks

is there a reason you only do close grips.
Well, 16" they are kinder for me, to my 55 Y/O shoulders.
It is not really a matter of certain training of not, as I have tried a lot of stuff over the last few years. It is just what we get to look forward to, as we age and some things just not responding to training like they used to. Funny how pulling moves and even squats, are still pretty far up there.

banksy2020

banksy2020

Awards
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.
Probably about a year ago I was doing the stronglifts 5x5 and always felt unsatisfied leaving the gym, but I probably wasn't going heavy enough and I am sure my form is a lot better than what it was back than as well.
A question to Paul Back your lil log there looks pretty good I just kinda skimmed it though, but would you keep the big three exercises(bp's, deadlift, squat) week in and out and switch up the others or is that the program you used every time you went?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A question to Paul Back your lil log there looks pretty good I just kinda skimmed it though, but would you keep the big three exercises(bp's, deadlift, squat) week in and out and switch up the others or is that the program you used every time you went?
Well I know I train PL'er so...,
I constantly use a floor DL or variation ie: 2" deficit deads or a pin pull varying heights and an assistance, same with back squats.
90% of the time I do standing OHP's and flat BP's and a row/bent or cable or pull dwn or chin and an extra tricep work like extensions week in week out. They are staples and I rarely if ever change those. I may change the protocols, the orders etc. etc.
But I always do the 5-7 compound moves first and foremost, week in week out.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I know I train PL'er so...,
I constantly use a floor DL or variation ie: 2" deficit deads or a pin pull varying heights and an assistance, same with back squats.
90% of the time I do standing OHP's and flat BP's and a row/bent or cable or pull dwn or chin and an extra tricep work like extensions week in week out. They are staples and I rarely if ever change those. I may change the protocols, the orders etc. etc.
But I always do the 5-7 compound moves first and foremost, week in week out.

This is a very recent W/O...
Wednesday 8/28
15" Pin Pulls #495+#100 Chains x3x2 (switched to x3 rep sets here)
!3" " " x3x1

2" Deficits #495 x3x2 (paused)
#495 x5 (T&G)

RDL's #315+#100 Chains x10x2

Squats #135x5
#225x1
#315x1
#365 x3x2
#405x1
#315x1

Low Cable Rows #190x10
#225x10
#245x10
#260x10x2

Band GM's x20

I certainly felt somewhat trained after this W/O ;-)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...and I don't mean to hijack thread so just this...
I can see if your goals are totally different and that is why you feel you may not be getting in enough volume and or different exercises. I mainly and almost exclusively train for strength, and believe that doing that for me, has also helped me gain my most mass etc. I am not an alligator abs ripped GQ mag guy by any means. I have a good shape from what I have been told and certainly look like I lift, but I can also understand guys who do not want to risk (since there is always a risk) at lifting as heavy as you can and being older like moi.
Certainly multi sets and reps in the 70%-80% of 1RM range, will yield good to great results, if you stick to the plan, stay determined and focus on some solid hard work and eat good. The idea of needing to train 4-5-6 days a week and lots of exercises and time in the gym, is not an actual truth at all. It probably started more, from gyms being a business.
That all said, lots of old school guys did full body abbreviated (say 3-5 exercises plus some arms) and only 2-3 day a week programs and did very well on them.
All the best to whatever you choose and filling your goals.

banksy2020

banksy2020

Awards
I was making some great strength gains but kinda got away from lifting for about a month and half cuz of my schedule and recently been trying to hit it hard when I get in there now. Strength is my overall goal, but looking good is up there too. When I get a little more time I am going to go over your routine and see if I can use it. and dont feel bad about hijacking the thread any and all input is greatly appreciated!!!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strength is my overall goal, but looking good is up there too.
Good stuff on the gains.
The points I'd keep in the cross-hairs then, is weight progression (adding weight to the bar weekly, if possible, #5 maybe #10 to the big stuff like squats and deads #2=#5 BP's/Rows #1-#2 to OHP's even if it is small amounts, as they build up over the weeks/months)
If you are looking for max strength, then lower reps with multi sets are probably best on the main lifts (say deads 3x3-5 and adding some higher rep stuff on an assistance say (RDL's 3x6-10)
Just to reiterate, you do not need "more exercises" to get stronger or bigger, just putting the hard work on a handful can pay great dividends.
When I first tried WSB stuff, I got weaker because I was doing a bunch of differing things and lost focus. When I switched back to just heavy pulling on one or 2 things, I bounced back and hit a PR.

banksy2020

banksy2020

Awards
Thanks for the input! I might do the 3x3-5 and go heavy, Wat would u recommend like 80-85% of ur 1rep max

pmdied

Awards
I recently hit a #605 PR deadlift (and gained about #10-#12 lbs) doing full body 2-3 times per week with just a handful of exercises. The quality of the work & effort done on a few good select moves, will always trump thinking you need "more exercises".

I was doing...
Day #1
Deads (then 1 assistance variation say RDL's)
OHPs
Rows

Day #2
BP's
Squats (then maybe 1 assistance say GM's)
Pull Dwns or chins
Triceps

Day #3
Speed Pulls (maybe a little quad work)
DBOHP's (lite work)
Bench Rows
Maybe hanging leg raises

weekend off then rinse & repeat...
What he said.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
, Wat would u recommend like 80-85% of ur 1rep max
Yes, but with a caveat...
Start "CONSERVATIVELY" and build up to those poundages over a few months. If you start too high, you peak to early, burnout and wreak the progression gains you are easing your body into. #5-#10 a week on a squat or dead in 2 months, is #50-#80 pounds...!
Take your 90% 1RM and start at say 65% for multi sets and reps. (I know it is quite easy at first and you feel like you are not getting a very good workout, but as you add weight slowly over the weeks, and drag out the cycle for say 8-10 weeks, you can really gain some good momentum and thus strength power and work capacity, instead of hitting failure way too soon and then back treading to find ground again.