Bench press reps?

chopper3280

Awards
Hi I haven't really done weights before and I don't have access to the gym but I do have a shed with a benchpress so for the last 2 days I have gone out after a hour walk and then benched 10kg. 3 sets of 20 reps and then used the same weightbar and curled 3 sets of 20 reps I left about 5 min between reps ...... My question is am I doing the right thing ? I'm feeling sore in my chest but a good sore it's not real bad ... Can anyone sugest a workout plan for me ?? I'm trying to lose weight I gave up smokes 6 months ago and now I weigh 93kg I have man boobies and I'm sick of it lol as I said I haven't done weights before so what I have been doing tires me out but I would like a push in the right direction??? Cheers

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off, good for you trying to get on with a healthier lifestyle. That is a positive thing and any step in that direction can be (as you ask), a good or right thing.
Walking can be a good start to a fitness plan, as it is not too intense and is easy to keep up with and help you wind down stresses.
How old are you?(since this might be a factor to some extent, in starting your exercise plan)
Have you had a check up and a go ahead by your doc for some exercise?
Lowering cals and getting on a good food plan, will help with the weight loss certainly too.

s0briquet

Awards
Bench press is a great exercise, and you can't go too far wrong when you're just beginning. Like anything else, you should try to learn as much as you can from reading and experienced people, but the real learning comes from doing. If you're looking to lose weight and start a healthier lifestyle, what you put into your body will be the most important first step. While you figure out diet, you can also start experimenting with weight training if you feel that is the exercise path you are interested in. Start with light, comfortable weight and read as much as you can about proper form. I would recommend trying to lift 3 times a week at first, and focus on the big compound lifts that work your whole body - squat, deadlift, overhead press, and as you've already tried, bench press. Take little videos of yourself doing these lifts, and compare them with strict-form videos online that have a lot of positive feedback. Once you've experimented a little bit yourself, see if you can't find a gym that offers a free promotional training session, or just pay for one session once so that someone experienced can really tell you how you're coming along.

Keep in mind a few simple ideas:
1. Work out your body, not the weight (choose a weight that you can lift with proper form safely, while getting full range of motion)
2. You can always learn more, and you can always improve
3. Proper diet and sufficient rest come first (soo important whether starting out or professionl)

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
this site and bodybuilding.com have tons of good articles, soak up as much information as you can, learn about what you should be doing instead of just going out and doing random things so you don't get hurt and get the desired progress