Sudden drop in stength

E_Scapegoat

Awards
Have you ever put your hand to a bar on your last set, and it will. Not. Budge. Even after you got 6+ reps with the same weight (if not heavier)?

What causes this excessive drop in strength after several sets of pull-ups, bench press etc?

The drop in strength might look like this for pull-ups: the first set I might get 8 reps, then I get 5, then 3 and then I can't even start to pull myself up!

More importantly, how can this be combated?With explosive reps and lighter weight to train the cns for speed? By playing with frequency or volume, and if so, how?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's going to be some fatigue. You can't expect to do set after set after set of the same reps.

There's too many variables to answer your question. Are you periodizing your training? Are you progressing in weights? Do you have poor form? Are you fatigued from anything else? The most common- Are you eating enough?

E_Scapegoat

Awards
What do you mean by periodize? What does that look like practically. I'm eating well, form is pretty food, but strength hasn't increased except in the lower body moves because of increased volume and TUT I've focused on.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are many schemes and philosophies for periodization, but they all have a system of progression in volume and intensity. It's another way of saying if you do the same **** over and over, you will stagnate and potentially regress.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
but strength hasn't increased except in the lower body moves because of increased volume and TUT I've focused on.
Maybe the key word(s) here is "focused on"!?
Everyone will have a slow decrease in strength as one gets more fatigued. Depending on time between sets, loads, intensity used etc. etc. as Sean said, lots of variables.
Are you more a fast twitch person maybe?
Are you cutting carbs at all?
Do you work to near 100% failure a lot of the time? (especially on chins)

Not sure if speed work and or explosive work will do exactly what you want!?, but then I have to ask, what exactly are you looking to do, or gain, by being able to keep going so to speak. Muscle recovery over time in the W/O is going to take place, but slower as one gets more inroad. I mean you said you are gaining (at least in the lower extremities) what is your concern? Maybe you are closer to limits in the upper body and the legs have the room to move up.
You also mention chins, which for most people, does not have the room to advance like reg bar moves. Maybe because they are pushed/strained more. But you are not alone there. (If you want to move chins up, ladders work well and so does slowly increasing added belt weight.)
Lastly, I have seen some PL'ers take as long as 5+ mins between sets, to get back near 80%-90% recovered. Just sayin'

E_Scapegoat

Awards
I do go to failure every time, even jumping up and doing a negative.. Once I can do at least 12 pullups I will be at least content, but until then I want strength. How do you recommend doing ladders? With bodyweight, then a belt, then bodyweight, or playing with lat pulldowns?

I definitely wouldn't call myself "advanced" so I know I have a lot more progress to make- I want gain strength- for pullups anyway.
would you pyramid by using lat pulldowns, to pullups to pulldowns, or pullups, add belt, and again without a belt?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Start here it may give you some insight.
I take it you want to increase the number of chins!?
http://www.cbass.com/Pavel'sLadders.htm

Otherwise, if you want a single rep heavy chin-up, just slowly add weight like you would other barbell exercises.
Most guys make the mistake of chinning to failure all the time, which does not really work well. That is why it might be better to build capacity with less intense work but more overall building volume.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Start here it may give you some insight.
I take it you want to increase the number of chins!?
http://www.cbass.com/Pavel'sLadders.htm

Otherwise, if you want a single rep heavy chin-up, just slowly add weight like you would other barbell exercises.
Most guys make the mistake of chinning to failure all the time, which does not really work well. That is why it might be better to build capacity with less intense work but more overall building volume.
Cool article man. I like the idea.