PL -- Road to Domination

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Yeah... I am back.

Currently training for a competition: December 14th.

My log starts today on this forum, but has been going on for some time. I will be posting workouts, pictures, videos, and hope to help some of you beginners on my journey and learn from some of you vets. Don't be afraid to chime in, discuss workouts, tactics, training, supplementation or anything that you deem worthy. Lets just not turn this into a flame war... Remember this is my workout journal so lets keep it sensible.

Alright... lets get started:

Size:
Height: 5'5
Weight: 198lbs --- Goal 220lbs

Pictures coming ... momentarily.

Training: We train very similar to the Westside method
What we do: 4 days mandatory ...
Saturday: Deadlifts (Speed) / Legs (max effort)
Sunday: Upper back (Volume) / Bench (max effort)

My other 2 days during the week vary but I usually go with Tuesday / Wed
Tuesday: Chest (volume) / Triceps / accessory work
Wed: Deadlift variations (max effort) / Squat (speed) / accessory work

Depending on my soreness or mood I can alternate my Tuesday and Wed... Also I can shift days forward and do Wed and Thursday instead. However I have found Tuesday and Wed work best for me.

If I go in on other days I can do extra accessory work or personal fulfillment work (like you know... hit those biceps bro.)

Also, weekdays are the days that I specifically do things I HATE. If you hate it then that means your bad at it... if your bad at it then its a weakness, and that means getting better at it can only improve your lifts. So this is where I do things I hate: Pulling a sled, hyper extensions, abs, glute ham raise, back attack, pull ups... god I hate a lot of things :)

Remember we have a lot of variation in our work to prevent accommodation. That being said when we do Bench it could be: Reverse band, resistance band, chains, board press, etc.
Or squats could be: Safety bar, resistance band, chains, etc.

Workouts vary from week to week. Follow the thread, ask questions, lets grow.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
8/27/2013

Standing Shoulder Press 10 sets
Bend Over Rows 5 sets
Chest Support rows (heavy) 5x10
Chest Support Rows (Light) 5x20

Triceps
5x20 DB EXT

Dips
5x10
____

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
8/28/2013

Speed Squats 2x8
Rack Pulls work up to 5RM
Back Attack 4x10
Split Squats (one leg squat with DB) 3x10
Hyper Extension 5x10

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
The supplement industry is such a joke, all you people looking for an “edge” and taking pride in being “natural” shelling out hundreds of dollars for a bunch of ****….
“Natural” compounds employed: Creatine Nitrate, Arginine AKG, L-Arginine-Alpha Ketoglutaric Acid, L-Citrulline-Malic Acid Interfusion, L-Citrulline-Alpha Ketoglutaric Acid, L-Histidine-Alpha Ketoglutaric Acid, NAD (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide), Gynostemma (90% Gypenosides) (Leaves & Stem), L-Carnitine, Caffeine Anhydrous, Fish Oil, Rhodiola Extract, Yohimbe,Fenugreek Extract, Trans-Resveratrol, Quercetin, Tribulus…
Okay… yeah WTF? *Cough* Bull**** *Cough* I love how people, including myself at one point of time, shell out hundreds of dollars for this stuff… Cool names though… All natural baby!!!
Put a bunch of crap in a pill and called it “SHREDDED!!!!”
I may even throw some four leaf clovers in that bitch and on the ingredients list it as four-clovia-monobya ---- Clinically proven to make you more swulllllll

Note: I am not saying all products out there are scams or ineffective.

All that being said. If anyone has a product that actually works and has measurable effects I would love to try it.

On a side not I trained NATURAL for 6 1/2 years and I mean fully natural. No supplementation, no creatine, no protein powders, no supplements period. Just food and weights.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Thursday and Friday... some much needed days of rest. My body is aching. Saturday and Sunday are the hardest and longest most brutal workouts... So I better enjoy it while I can!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
youre exactly where i want to be stat wise, pictures are beastly....

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
youre exactly where i want to be stat wise, pictures are beastly....
Thanks bud,
I will be posted more pics / videos and training log will continue.
I compete December 14th... So wish me luck!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
what are going for contest weight?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
what are going for contest weight?
Honestly haven't decided... Will decide around November and see where my weight is. 198lbs will more than likely be my contest weight. but maybe 220 (I am leaning towards 220)

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
"What IF" Training

Ever train and wonder "What If" well this is my What IF guide and how I use those to increase performance, strength, and training morale... Just remember when it comes to training we all have a gas tank... when you are preparing for a big lift or competition what do you have left to put in the tank so you can set a new PR?
You see if you are always training on a full tank then you have nothing additional to put in... so you have really no room for simple behavioral performance boosts.

On a regular week I train with several "What IF" factors in Place
- Training Sore
- Performing accessory work before main lifts... (notice on Sunday we do max effort bench work, but before that we do mass back work)
- Training supplement free
- Training steroid free

Alright so right there we have 4 "What Ifs" ... What if I were on good supplements, what if I were on the juice, what if I wasn't sore, and what if I went straight to the main lifts... How much of a performance increase will I see?

You see if you are always training on mass supplements and always training on the juice... then once you get that competition date approaching you have no extra nitrous to put in that tank... If you are training without the juice and can get your lifts up to good numbers... whats gonna happen when you add that nitrous?!? Exactly... sky rocket.
Another example, as we approach the contest date we focus more on the main lifts and do not perform those accessory lifts before-hand. Similarly right before the meet we take an 5 days off. Deload eat healthy and keep the body fresh... then crush it at the meet.

My point? Take a look at your personal What IF factors and evaluate your workouts and performance. Ask yourself if you could accomplish what you are lifting NOW, or close to it, without the drugs or the $500 in OTC supplements. See if you can hit that 300lbs bench after doing 20 sets of bench. Or do that 465lbs rack pull after doing speed squats...

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Leg day.... Gonna be rough and rowdy

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Sled 3 trips (down and back) heavy
Glute Ham Raise 3x10
Hyper Ext with heavy stone 3x5
DL with resistance band 3x5

Buffalo Bar Squat work up to a 1RM
Buffalo Bar 1x10 75% of 1RM

Front Squat 3x8

Back attack 3x~10

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i watched most of your vids, very motivating for me being 5'5" myself.......what kind of diet do you use and as of now are you staying supp free?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
i watched most of your vids, very motivating for me being 5'5" myself.......what kind of diet do you use and as of now are you staying supp free?
As of right now I am Anabolic free. Only supps I am using is a pre-workout for the caffeine boost (Don't wanna drink coffee and hey can't go wrong with flavored water with a dose of caffeine)

As for my Diet.. I don't practice any particular diet. I just eat... and don't buy junk food. Lots of meat (steak, chicken, salmon, and my favorite right now is Tuna salad).

I am not opposed to supplements, as long as they are effective... despite my rant above, I just get frustrated by the industry and the BS sometimes--okay most the time.

Am hoping to pick up a descent sponsor here eventually.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
im on a talapia and lean ground turkey kick.....plus tons of spinach, you seem to stay fairly lean

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
im on a talapia and lean ground turkey kick.....plus tons of spinach, you seem to stay fairly lean
Yeah I could be better... am a work in progress. I do try to watch what I eat with the occasional cheat meals. Right now my biggest weakness is eating on busy work days... gotta work on that.
Personally I feel like a lot of people would benefit by just "smart choices" like I am not training for a BodyBuilding contest so I dont need to get down to ridiculously low body fat, and I compete raw (not in gear) so being fat or extra watery does me little good. Therefore I try to stay aesthetically pleasing and just eat smart choices. For me that's steak, chicken, and salmon. I do need to increase my food intake though.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Sled rows 3 trips
Chest Supported rows 5x10
Rear laterals 5x15
Bent over row 5x10

Bench Max Effort
Worked up to 1RM max with 2 1/2 board. Missed my number :(
Bench weight releases 2 sets
Pin press 2 sets
Dips 5x10

Sad I missed my 1RM max. Was hoping to get my competition PR today on 2 board and it just didn't happen. But hey december is still a longggg way away so its all good.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
1 cup almond milk + 1 scoop protein powder

delicious

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
What pro are you using
I just buy the 10lbs bag of Optimum Nutrition Chocolate.

About to try to make protein pudding tomorrow. Will update on taste and maintainability (yeah its cool to make something once, but will I like it enough to actually incorporate it into the diet).

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I tried a few scoops into jello pudding and it came out extremely thick

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

Sorry they are Blurry I had the HDR on i need to remember to shut that off.

Anyway. Today I didn't do too much was extremely sore and only went because I have to travel for work Wed and wanted to get out the house and do something productive, get a little pump and not be a lazy bitch (usually today I would be resting)
4x10 flat
Incline DB press 4x15
Pullups 4x10

Like I said... nothing :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
hey, where is the meet at? we have a PL meet here at my gym on dec 14.....i may try and see what the 165lb class is like...

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
hey, where is the meet at? we have a PL meet here at my gym on dec 14.....i may try and see what the 165lb class is like...
Columbus Ohio

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. You doing XXX?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for following along.

and im Sorry... "XXX" ?
RPS Xtreme Xmas Xplosion, it's December 14th in Columbus. I'm competing in that meet. What kind of numbers are you looking toward in December?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
RPS Xtreme Xmas Xplosion, it's December 14th in Columbus. I'm competing in that meet. What kind of numbers are you looking toward in December?
Didn't even register that you were referring to that lol. Yes I will be at the RPS meet

I have had problems with my posterior chain and overcoming those flaws so don't rag on me too hard

Squat:: 400lbs
Bench : 430lbs+
Deadlift: 500lbs

198lbs weight class

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't even register that you were referring to that lol. Yes I will be at the RPS meet

I have had problems with my posterior chain and overcoming those flaws so don't rag on me too hard

198lbs weight class
That's a massive bench.

All raw?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
That's a massive bench.

All raw?
Yes all raw.
Yes I have a big bench, I just need my posterior chain to catch up and I will be quite the monster :)

I should be squatting 500+ and Deadlift 550+ But I am not...yet.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

198lbs weight class
Hey, most 198s would be tickled with those squats and deadlifts. The bench speaks for itself and you know this. Once you hammer some GMs, pause squats and such, your squats will be good to go. Dunno about deadlifts, though. I'm still trying to find mine.

I went to one in C-bus two weeks ago and a monster bench-only guy from my neck of the woods did his first full power meet since high school, raw raw. He went 540/520/655, and nobody ragged on his squats!

I find people don't talk back to 400+ benchers.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Supplementation and Instant Gratification

Instant gratification appears to be a fairly uniform human characteristic, we see something and we want it NOW; instant mass, strength, and power—Bigger, Faster, Stronger (which btw is also a great documentary). Of course the supplement industry capitalizes on this, how could they not? We are bombarded with imagery of powerlifters and bodybuilders that use this or that get fast quick stack by any number of companies. Let’s look at an example.
Animal’s “The Explosive Gains Stack.” Core products: Animal Pak, Animal Stak, Animal Pump, Animal Nitro. I won’t even begin to list the amount of compounds are in these products… Well over 50… What works and what does not? What is a good use of your money? What is truly driving your results? Oh… and let’s not forget the ancillary compounds that everyone loves to add: Fish Oils, Liver protections, and anti-estrogens, “cycle support” and other products.
This also applies to companies prohormone stacks and the ancillaries that comes with them. Before we know it we have a cabinet of supplements that looks like a pharmacist’s office… and again we have no idea what is really working for us, and what is a good purchase for our hard earned dollars.
The impulse of instant gratification and the resulting supplement cocktail also brings forth another issue. Side effects… What compound is aggravating your body and what isn’t… Once the Jitters, aches, joint pain, sweating, nausea, lethargy, back pumps, gyno, libido loss, and other sides effects begin, we see the introduction of still more compounds, or high dosages of already employed ancillaries, to combat these ailments.
The gradual introduction of supplements over a prolonged period of time minimizes side effects, saves money, and allows for the opportunity to measure a supplements results. Keep in mind these measurements are best made when minimizing other factors, for example you can’t introduce a new supplement and try to measure its effects when you also changed your diet and/or workout routine. Now I know we aren’t scientists and I am not suggesting that you engage in a full scientific study, but I am saying you do have it within your powers to introduce a supplement and see how it works over a period of 2-3 weeks while keeping your diet and training regimen relatively the same. Doing this will allow you to develop a strong sense of the supplements usefulness and side effects.
We are building a pyramid of effective supplements that are synergistic for our goals and have minimal side effects (or at least minimal unbearable side effects). New comers to supplements, or more generally people just starting to workout, ask what supplements I take or stacks I employ… Well lets look at the number one most studied and well established supplement Creatine Monohydrate, it is cheap, effective, well studied, and demonstrably effective. There is your base. Build on top of that over time.
Remember smart supplementation isn’t the introduction of a cocktail of 50 compounds to your body in the hopes of waking up one day looking like the Hulk. Instead supplementation should be a gradual process of learning, testing, and experimenting to discover what is the most effective for your goals.
Depending on your skill and motivation you could even make a spreadsheet and log all your lifts, weight, bodyfat and convert those numbers into charts and actually see how your body and lifting has changed with the introduction of a supplement. Remember, in some cases less is more… especially when you are employing what works and not spending money on the stuff that isn’t effective.
- Kyle Brown

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Sub'd!

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Today Speed legs / heavy posterior.

Alright started off
5x5 speed squats with chains (light chains 60lbs)

Then moved to Rack Pulls for max effort worked up to 465lbs (would have been a 10lbs PR but I failed the lift twice). Discovered the weakness, glutes and hamstrings soo will be focusing a lot on them.

Hyper Extensions 5x5 with heavy stone
Hyper Extension 1xmax with light stone, then burn out with body weight.

5 sets of ~10 leg curls with resistence band (smashing those ham strings)

Videos:
465 -- attempt 1

465 -- attempt 2 Fast forward to about 20 seconds

Note:
it seems Photobucket is "compressing" my videos as I upload them and lowering the quality-- any other media sharing venues I should consider... that are as simple as photopbucket and user friendly? I love how I can just embed videos and pictures

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think you'll be able to embed videos. Maybe ask Admin what other options are. Everyone here just posts a YouTube link.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you'll be able to embed videos. Maybe ask Admin what other options are. Everyone here just posts a YouTube link.
I personally get very annoyed with YouTube. Probably stick to photobucket if thats the case.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally get very annoyed with YouTube. Probably stick to photobucket if thats the case.
Can you post links to your photobucket to view vids? I don't know anything about it..

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Can you post links to your photobucket to view vids? I don't know anything about it..
just click the image above and it will pull up the video bud--- those images are links to the video

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
just click the image above and it will pull up the video bud--- those images are links to the video
It's hit or miss on my phone. I'll check em out when I'm on the computer next. Good work though, man

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Edited!

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
BB Bench press Base 225 Rep Scheme

Test 225 4x10
Week 1 245 4x10
Week 2 275 4x10
Week 3 295 4x10
Week 4 325 4x10

Week 5 340 5x6
Week 6 345 5x6
Week 7 355 5x6
Week 8 365 5x6

This will be my progressive overload scheme for BB style bench on weekdays. Today I am on week 1. These will be done over the next few weeks on my non-max effort days. Weights subject to change.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Probable cycle layout

Cycle Layout Test Tren Halo
Nov 1-30
Week 1 350mg 700mg 20mg
Week 2 350mg 700mg 20mg
Week 3 350mg 700mg 20mg
Week 4 350mg 700mg 30mg
December 1-14