training early in the morning advice

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So classes start soon and the way my schedule is I MUST train early. I have class at 925 so I usually give myself 2 hours of gym time (not that I lift for two hours I just hate being rushed ) so the way I see it I want hit the gym at 6am, giving myself enough time to shower and eat before class. How do you guys wake up early and keep food down? My stomach blows in the morning and I sometimes have trouble getting out of bed. Can I get some advice on how I can make this happen ?

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Have you ever had an early routine? You will eventually get used to it. Just start out eating really light, hit your workout as per usual, then mow down some serious food afterword.
All that happened to me when I started hittin it early was a case of newbie protein poo

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you ever had an early routine? You will eventually get used to it. Just start out eating really light, hit your workout as per usual, then mow down some serious food afterword.
All that happened to me when I started hittin it early was a case of newbie protein poo
Thanks bud. What should I eat? Oats, eggs, what do you recommend ?
I have worked out early before I felt like crap at first but I felt so good afterwards. I was in a good mood all day too which was Awsome. My stomach is just annoying.I think I'm going to have a pre cooked breakfast to eat afterwards as well.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Thanks bud. What should I eat? Oats, eggs, what do you recommend ?
I have worked out early before I felt like crap at first but I felt so good afterwards. I was in a good mood all day too which was Awsome. My stomach is just annoying.I think I'm going to have a pre cooked breakfast to eat afterwards as well.
If you take a good pre-w/o it should stifle your appetite enough till you get done. then you can hulk smash into some nutrients! If not breakfast burritos with egg stay down well and you will have some good energy.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
If you take a good pre-w/o it should stifle your appetite enough till you get done. then you can hulk smash into some nutrients! If not breakfast burritos with egg stay down well and you will have some good energy.
^^this. And if that doesn't work, I always had luck with 2 scrambled eggs about 45min before my workout

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
^^this. And if that doesn't work, I always had luck with 2 scrambled eggs about 45min before my workout
Little bit of L-arginine to help with the pump!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks fellas I'll give it a go tomorrow morning! Might as well start early whole there is little to now workload in the semester

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work out early as well due to work start time. I drink my PWO and then mix a shake of protein and BCAAs and drink it as my intra. After lifting I eat boiled eggs and Greek yogurt. No stomach issues at any time.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Id smash some aminos pre and then an amino/carb mixture intra and then smash food after.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So classes start soon and the way my schedule is I MUST train early. I have class at 925 so I usually give myself 2 hours of gym time (not that I lift for two hours I just hate being rushed ) so the way I see it I want hit the gym at 6am, giving myself enough time to shower and eat before class. How do you guys wake up early and keep food down? My stomach blows in the morning and I sometimes have trouble getting out of bed. Can I get some advice on how I can make this happen ?
Bro a good thermo and aminos pre workout. Have a meal post workout

Or do intra carbs and aminos

I prefer aminos and a thermo tho and while your waiting or the thermo I kick in prepar food and have it ready for post workout

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually do bcaa intra I made a shake and I'm going to drink that an hour before lifting and Im gonna cook eggs and oatmeal for my post workout. Timing seems like Its key. Already pre cooked my meat for tomorrow. So I'll just have to tty new stuff and see what works best.

Also forgot to mention I'm running a short albut. recomp cycle so I got the thermo covered. I usually take it an hour pwo. I can't do carbs intra, tried and failed with a trip to the puke room.

Shake = lactase free milk, 1 scoop protein, 2 tbps pb, and .5 cup of oatmeal ground up

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Decrease carbs and increase fat intake for your diet. Over the weeks your body will get used to it. I can not eat since dinner the night before and workout in the afternoon and be fine, even set PRs. Of course I am doing intermittent fasting as a diet and my body is used to it. Just remember our bodies are much more efficient than you think. If we were as fragile as some people think our species would not even exist right now.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I'm up. Just downed my shake, feeling a little tired but not too bad. Let's see how this goes

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I'm just going to train fasted next time with bcaas. That shake I had was too heavy and my stomach made my lift drag and I felt crappy. Still got it done though. First ones the hardest.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Decrease carbs and increase fat intake for your diet. Over the weeks your body will get used to it. I can not eat since dinner the night before and workout in the afternoon and be fine, even set PRs. Of course I am doing intermittent fasting as a diet and my body is used to it. Just remember our bodies are much more efficient than you think. If we were as fragile as some people think our species would not even exist right now.
Why decrease carbs ? I usually eat a good amount of fat and high amounts of carbs bloat me and make me feel crappy. But wouldn't it be harder the build mass with lower carbs ?

SinghDaKillaa

SinghDaKillaa

Awards
hey man. I lift in the morning as well. The night before i ussually eat a nice carb filled dinner 3 hours before sleep and then cottage cheese before bed in which the protien breaks down slow. This way i dont wake up starving.

Take my morning dump. Smash a preworkout and hit the iron. Then bcaa during my workout. No food in my stomach

U gunna love waking up cuz ur first thought gunna be "time to lift" :D

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Why decrease carbs ? I usually eat a good amount of fat and high amounts of carbs bloat me and make me feel crappy. But wouldn't it be harder the build mass with lower carbs ?
adding mass is more about total calories and enough protein and being in a positive nitrogen balance. carbs are just an easy way to do it but not essential.

also, lowered carb intake and increased fat intake causes the body to learn to use body fat as a fuel source more efficiently.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Building mass = eating carbs PERIOD
fact: adding body weight is all about eating a surplus calories.

fact: adding muscle is all about the proper stimulus and being in a positive nitrogen.

carbs can help with eating at a surplus. carbs can help the body be in a positive nitrogen balance but they are not essential. now before people decide to be silly and take this to an extreme, no where did i say that you should not eat carbs at all. i am only stating they are not essential, meaning you do not have to have them for the above scenario. also, they cannot hurt to be used to help attain those situations.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
hey man. I lift in the morning as well. The night before i ussually eat a nice carb filled dinner 3 hours before sleep and then cottage cheese before bed in which the protien breaks down slow. This way i dont wake up starving.

Take my morning dump. Smash a preworkout and hit the iron. Then bcaa during my workout. No food in my stomach

U gunna love waking up cuz ur first thought gunna be "time to lift" :D
I like to take my morning pre work out then smash a dump lol :eek:mfg:

L

LivingStrongE

Awards
I wake up everyday at 5 am to knock out cardio. It's a pain but I still get up and get it done. I usually just make a Isotean shake and I throw 1/2 a cup of dry oatmeal and blend it (If I'm not doing a fasted cardio). I'm way toooo tired to cook and then wash pots. Or you can make it the night before depending on what it is. Just have an intra workout drink while you workout so sip on.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depending on what type of training toy are doing there are quite a few options.

I usually eat a meal about an hour before weight training in the morning but if u just don't have time then a protein shake before should be enough to get you going. Just straight Whey would be ideal especially if you have stomach problems in the morning so you get the quick hit of fast absorbing protein to halt catabolism without the possible "full" feeling of slower digesting proteins.

If doing cardio I would suggest bcaa's pre training if you go in fasted. FINAFLEX BCAA+SAA would be perfectly suited for this type of training setup and I normally follow this protocol in the late night before fasted LISS before bed.

Hope this helped some.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love working out in the morning, such a good way to start the day! I prefer fasted with just my Powermax, then I'll come home and smash a protein shake with a good breakfast. I find I have alot more energy during the day when I start it with a workout. After a few mornings of it, you'll be used to it and go to bed excited to get up.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not sure what to add but I was going to say, or at least thinking, try not having diary at that time!? Maybe some fruit a few rice cakes with pnut butter and a hard boiled egg to keep from having the insulin rush!?

Hey dude, Bill Pearl used to W/O at 5AM so he could get his stuff in before all the clients came in to lift at his gym.
About the earliest I can hit it hard, is maybe 9AM, before that I am zombie meat, kinda mailing it in on heavy deadlifts or especially squats ;-)

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
adding mass is more about total calories and enough protein and being in a positive nitrogen balance. carbs are just an easy way to do it but not essential.

also, lowered carb intake and increased fat intake causes the body to learn to use body fat as a fuel source more efficiently.
Yes but also it takes away from its primary function. The human body needs all essintial macronutrients when bulking carbs are protein sparing leading to greater hypertrophy and protein synthesis. Fat is used for bodily organs and hormonal regulation and production taking away 1 essential macro makes another macro perform its duties taking away from that macros primary responsibility in theory you are correct in terms of burning body fat but the ops goal was bulking.

F

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I have trained first thing in the AM for years. I have always struggled with finding the right peri-workout nutrition. I would recommend you try something and stick to it for a couple weeks not just one day. There is more than one way to do this but as mentioned it depends on the rest of your diet and what your goals are. If eating lower carbs and trying to drop fat I prefer 25g of Whey with 1 Tablespoon of peanut or almond butter right upon waking about 30 minutes before I hit the gym. I got this tip Shelby Starnes. I usually do BCAA's and EAA's during training but I don't know if they really helps much but they taste good.

For a long time I used to train fasted with only my BCAA's and EAA's during. Looking back I think this really limited my progress.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Yes but also it takes away from its primary function. The human body needs all essintial macronutrients when bulking carbs are protein sparing leading to greater hypertrophy and protein synthesis. Fat is used for bodily organs and hormonal regulation and production taking away 1 essential macro makes another macro perform its duties taking away from that macros primary responsibility in theory you are correct in terms of burning body fat but the ops goal was bulking.
a 170lbs man can gain muscle with as little as 70gr a day of protein. a tiny portion of what broscience will tell you.

as for essential, carbs are not essential. yes they are beneficial as an efficient energy source but not essential.

as for your wrong idea on essential functions, most of your calories are used as such, calories or fuel for the body. the building blocks make up a tiny portion of your diet. so put down the broscience magazines and pick up some anatomy and physiology books.

the human body is not this frail thing that requires food every few hours. it can get by for days without food and as crappy as most people's work ethics are it would not hurt their workouts. most people would be better prepared with a structured program and lots more effort and more sleep than worrying so much about such minute details. stop majoring in the minors. for thousands of years before supplement companies and myths spouted from the media humans gained muscle and performed by living off the land, sleeping well, and working hard.

just take a look at intermittent fasting. some people that follow that diet will not eat for up to 18 hours before their workout and yet still perform well. and take a look at 3rd world countries where hard labor is daily thing not just for a job but to make sure you have food and a home. they eat a tiny portion of what we do and outperform us lazy americans every day.

my original point so it doesnt get lost, eat less carbs and more fat, no need to eat less calories. over a span of time your body will get far better at using bodyfat as fuel so you will be just as energetic no matter the time of day and be able to perform longer. our bodies are very resilient amazingly efficient machines. let it do its job and worry about minor things when you become so advanced that it takes everything just for a minor step ahead of the game. until then, eat hard, sleep hard, workout hard.

if you decide not to agree that is your choice. but know that you are not disagreeing with me but with science and human history. so argue with those things not me.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
a 170lbs man can gain muscle with as little as 70gr a day of protein. a tiny portion of what broscience will tell you.

as for essential, carbs are not essential. yes they are beneficial as an efficient energy source but not essential.

as for your wrong idea on essential functions, most of your calories are used as such, calories or fuel for the body. the building blocks make up a tiny portion of your diet. so put down the broscience magazines and pick up some anatomy and physiology books.

the human body is not this frail thing that requires food every few hours. it can get by for days without food and as crappy as most people's work ethics are it would not hurt their workouts. most people would be better prepared with a structured program and lots more effort and more sleep than worrying so much about such minute details. stop majoring in the minors. for thousands of years before supplement companies and myths spouted from the media humans gained muscle and performed by living off the land, sleeping well, and working hard.

just take a look at intermittent fasting. some people that follow that diet will not eat for up to 18 hours before their workout and yet still perform well. and take a look at 3rd world countries where hard labor is daily thing not just for a job but to make sure you have food and a home. they eat a tiny portion of what we do and outperform us lazy americans every day.

my original point so it doesnt get lost, eat less carbs and more fat, no need to eat less calories. over a span of time your body will get far better at using bodyfat as fuel so you will be just as energetic no matter the time of day and be able to perform longer. our bodies are very resilient amazingly efficient machines. let it do its job and worry about minor things when you become so advanced that it takes everything just for a minor step ahead of the game. until then, eat hard, sleep hard, workout hard.

if you decide not to agree that is your choice. but know that you are not disagreeing with me but with science and human history. so argue with those things not me.
I never claimed for u to be wrong just don't completely agree with ur logic things work different for different people OP asked for personal expiriance which I shared your wang is huge now quit measuring the op wanted experiances not a "my way is the only way and if you don't do IF then ur wrong." it might be bro science but on paper doesn't always work in the iron game some times you have to go with what works for you regardless on if you feel it is "bro science"

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
don't completely agree with ur logic
one of the many great things about science, it does not require your belief. as for my logic, its not logic, its based upon our current understanding of anatomy and physiology. there is no using logic to fill in holes, the process is understood and documented thoroughly. you can not agree with it but it does not make it wrong. it has been proven by people far more and better educated than both of us combined.

different for different people
i have always got a kick out of this response. it seems to me the ultimate i have no idea what im walking about response so im just going to make **** up and say everyone is different. sure in somethings we are. like fav foods, or fav color, or jobs we enjoy but when it comes to anatomy and physiology there is a reason people of science study only 1 anatomy and physiology make up. we are all homo sapien and have the same anatomy and physiology. the mechanisms behind metabolism are the same not only among homo sapiens but many other species as well. why do you think we run experiments on animals as well? well IMO it is also due to their shorter life cycles so its easy to measure over their lifespan than compared to us. but thats another point.

now there is a scientific explanation of why people can respond differently. this is where the art of exercise comes in. knowing when to apply what stimulus/variable for a better response.

OP asked for personal expirience
which is the wonderful thing about an open forum. so here is mine based upon the OPs question and i quote, "How do you guys wake up early and keep food down? My stomach blows in the morning and I sometimes have trouble getting out of bed. Can I get some advice on how I can make this happen ?"

well, dont eat till after the workout. increase your fat intake and decrease your carb intake and your body will get more efficient at using bodyfat as fuel. now i am not saying eat less over the span of a day or week just change your food choices. there will be a few weeks for your body to get used to it. you have to push past that. once you do you may feel much more energetic than before. and dont worry about not eating before hand. your body stores enough fuel to workout and go without eating for days. just push past the initial few weeks of feeling groggy. in time you will feel stronger.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Ok, I started to read it all, and in the end I decided I will just let you know what I do as I am a 5am trainer, and have been for the last 10 months or so especially now that classes are starting back up again and I work FT.

the night before I make all my meals for the day including preWo and postWO.

Uppon waking down a Dexaprine XR with a big glass or water which wakes me up and gets me "primed" to eat as I also use to blow chuncks in the morning.

Eggs with oats and/or apple preWO along with Conquer and Hemavol.

Compete + BCAA + Gatorade during workout

And then postWO is usually whatever I want at the time. Usually P28 bread and Muscle Egg french toast.

That is my typical morning since last October.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
We train Sunday morning 7am... Its not quite 5am but hey certainly is early enough for a boring saturday night /

Okay so I get up at 5:45am... The drive to the gym is approximately 20 minutes.
I eat a Tuna Sandwhich, make a protein shake (1 cup water / 1 scoop chocolate protein), then I make 24oz PWO drink... Why PWO? Because it tastes better than coffee and I need caffeine.
I drink 1 on the way to the gym and I drink another halfway through the workout.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
one of the many great things about science, it does not require your belief. as for my logic, its not logic, its based upon our current understanding of anatomy and physiology. there is no using logic to fill in holes, the process is understood and documented thoroughly. you can not agree with it but it does not make it wrong. it has been proven by people far more and better educated than both of us combined.

i have always got a kick out of this response. it seems to me the ultimate i have no idea what im walking about response so im just going to make **** up and say everyone is different. sure in somethings we are. like fav foods, or fav color, or jobs we enjoy but when it comes to anatomy and physiology there is a reason people of science study only 1 anatomy and physiology make up. we are all homo sapien and have the same anatomy and physiology. the mechanisms behind metabolism are the same not only among homo sapiens but many other species as well. why do you think we run experiments on animals as well? well IMO it is also due to their shorter life cycles so its easy to measure over their lifespan than compared to us. but thats another point.

now there is a scientific explanation of why people can respond differently. this is where the art of exercise comes in. knowing when to apply what stimulus/variable for a better response.

which is the wonderful thing about an open forum. so here is mine based upon the OPs question and i quote, "How do you guys wake up early and keep food down? My stomach blows in the morning and I sometimes have trouble getting out of bed. Can I get some advice on how I can make this happen ?"

well, dont eat till after the workout. increase your fat intake and decrease your carb intake and your body will get more efficient at using bodyfat as fuel. now i am not saying eat less over the span of a day or week just change your food choices. there will be a few weeks for your body to get used to it. you have to push past that. once you do you may feel much more energetic than before. and dont worry about not eating before hand. your body stores enough fuel to workout and go without eating for days. just push past the initial few weeks of feeling groggy. in time you will feel stronger.
Good grief your a pizzed little guy when some questions you lol go smoke some weed and chill out bro it has been also proven that people respond differently to macronutrients look at those that can get shredded during contest prep at 300+ carbs. You don't have to go on another rant but to think everything is one sided is ignorant on your part.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
I train at 5AM. I wake up at 415, drink a liter of water with a preworkout in it, morning BM, and then off to the gym. Post workout meal is 7 eggs and 1.5 cups of oatmeal.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed for more own-age

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Good grief your a pizzed little guy when some questions you lol go smoke some weed and chill out bro it has been also proven that people respond differently to macronutrients look at those that can get shredded during contest prep at 300+ carbs. You don't have to go on another rant but to think everything is one sided is ignorant on your part.
pissed? not at all. what shows that? FYI, i have been on forums for well over a decade and this response is a common one for someone that is in a debate and is either way out of their league or is losing so bad they change the topic. but i could be wrong.

can you explain the science behind those different responses? will 2 people of the exact same anatomy, physiology, with the exact same chemical/hormonal balances with the same BMI, BMR, hydration level, stress level, sleep habits/patterns, workout program (including intensity, volume and frequency), overall caloric intake, overall protein intake, fat % and muscle mass react differently? if so can you explain the mechanism on why 2 identical mechanisms are reacting differently? here is a thought, if 2 people shed body fat and 1 had 300+ grams carbs a day, then both were eating in a caloric deficit. there is also the variable of how often those carbs were taken in as when insulin is being used to store bodyfat it is mechanically impossible to use body fat as fuel. did you take that variable into account?

i was trying to keep this simple for everyone reading this but it seems at least for 1 reader i cannot. thats ok. i have learned a lot over the years from forums. maybe others can as well. for example, the human body is an amazing machine. that working hard, sleeping hard, and eating hard will get further than majoring in the minors. that the details are great when discussing with others that want to know or by others that push something silly but otherwise are not important.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
pissed? not at all. what shows that? FYI, i have been on forums for well over a decade and this response is a common one for someone that is in a debate and is either way out of their league or is losing so bad they change the topic. but i could be wrong.

can you explain the science behind those different responses? will 2 people of the exact same anatomy, physiology, with the exact same chemical/hormonal balances with the same BMI, BMR, hydration level, stress level, sleep habits/patterns, workout program (including intensity, volume and frequency), overall caloric intake, overall protein intake, fat % and muscle mass react differently? if so can you explain the mechanism on why 2 identical mechanisms are reacting differently? here is a thought, if 2 people shed body fat and 1 had 300+ grams carbs a day, then both were eating in a caloric deficit. there is also the variable of how often those carbs were taken in as when insulin is being used to store bodyfat it is mechanically impossible to use body fat as fuel. did you take that variable into account?

i was trying to keep this simple for everyone reading this but it seems at least for 1 reader i cannot. thats ok. i have learned a lot over the years from forums. maybe others can as well. for example, the human body is an amazing machine. that working hard, sleeping hard, and eating hard will get further than majoring in the minors. that the details are great when discussing with others that want to know or by others that push something silly but otherwise are not important.
OK so in our argument you want to use two people with the exact same structure for that I say no sir. Me and you are different PERIOD regardless if we are the same species. Genetically we are different as humans from one person to another. take into effect those that aren't the exact same hormonal structure stress level hydration and everything else you listed to try and be intellectual. They aren't going to respond to the exact same nutrition plan. I never once questioned your methods merely said that not everything is one sided. Also you love the phrase majoring in the minors you use it in every dam thread you post in. I can give a shiz less if you have been on forums for decades you are like every other member here to learn and read studies just as I have done just because you have been posting longer does not mean jack squat to your knowledge of everything. Your knowledge is based on the studies in which you research which looks great on paper but doesn't always work in real life I'm done arguing with you because its pointless you just started ranting because I questioned your low carb method for gaining weight and mass. You keep referring to body fat being used as fuel and burning fat but correct me if I'm wrong the OP wanted mass gain tactics not cutting tactics based on bulking my personal experience is better to consume higher carbs as many people would agree with if you do it differently than good for you I'm glad that works for you we are all brothers of iron with different views. I respect your views and never once questioned them as I'm stating again. You chose to turn this into a battle of the Wang's which I am done participating in. You have mentioned in previous posts how much you hated other forums for all the flaming and being called a troll and not feeling accepted so y are you acting as the same thing you supposedly hated out of all the other forums you had belonged to?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
bla bla bla?
my intent is obviously lost on you. the OP asked a specific question and i replied directly with a possible solution. you seem to have taken my responses as a response to gaining muscle mass which was not my intent.

this does remind me of this phrase:
people judge you on your actions and not your intent. you may have a heard of gold but so does a hard boiled egg.

thank god it is just the internet and of little concern to my real life.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
my intent is obviously lost on you. the OP asked a specific question and i replied directly with a possible solution. you seem to have taken my responses as a response to gaining muscle mass which was not my intent.

this does remind me of this phrase:
people judge you on your actions and not your intent. you may have a heard of gold but so does a hard boiled egg.

thank god it is just the internet and of little concern to my real life.
Lol how did you do that? I never said bla bla bla yet you made it look like I did are you a wizard?

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Lol I was arguing on ur thread and it wasn't until right now that I realized I wasn't on the right one lol my fault bro in ur case I would listen to the gentleman I was arguing with lol now on to the thread I thought I was posting on good luck and my bad assoon it helps i f I know what thread I'm on

H

healthse

Awards
A workout first thing in the morning helps fire the metabolism all day, and when your metabolism is higher, you burn more calories. As a consequence, morning workouts mean you can eat the same amount and still lose weight. However, if you're not able to wake up on time in the morning, it could be because you might be undertaking some sort of physical exercise that raises internal body temperature, which, in turn, tires you completely and keeps you up at night, therefore, you are not able to wake up in the morning since you sleep late. Instead, try relaxing stretches or an indulgent bath before sleep. Morning you'll feel fresher. I read an awesome post related to this here.