tell all that is wrong with this - AnabolicMinds.com

tell all that is wrong with this

Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

tell all that is wrong with this

well others do it and why not. lets have a another opinion of what im doing for my workout. i had some ideas i wanted to follow when setting this up.
    1)do squats, pullups and a pushing movement every day
    2)add more volume - small jumps when warming up & high rep sets for accessory/weak link work
    3)have fun with other stuff
    4)only do prehab stuff when something is broken
    5)focus on skill of movement

each day is broken down like this:
    -Main lift for the day
    -triset of squats/push exercise/pullups
    -weak link work for the main lift
    -other, this being fluff i want to get better at or just like. overhead squats, bent press, reverse hyper, pullovers, abs, biceps, farmers, facepulls, etc

day 1:
    main lift, bench, doing 5/3/1,
    -1 block doing joker then rule of 30 (like rule of 50 but with slightly higher %)
    -1 block doing first set last followed by rule of 50, rinse and repeat
    ME squats/(skipping pushing as im benching)/Pullups
    tricep work
    other

day 2:
    deadlift, done cube style
    DE squats/dips/pullups
    low back and glute work
    other

day 3:
    overhead rows superset, 5/3/1 done for them
    RE squats/pushups/pullups
    quads
    other

please ask and i will clarify anything else for you
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.

Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I can see Day 1 and 2 being fairly brutal. Possibility of heavy benching, followed by ME squat, then the following day in the rotation being a possible ME deadlift. As long as you're recovering and regulating it. 3x a week would be plenty of recovey.

Id like to mention your prehab though. It's prehab to prevent injury, rehab to heal-so I would say continue doing prehab exercises when time permits you to during your day. I'm just becoming overly cautious about possible injuries though. You know your body

Looks interesting! I'm curious to see how it works for you Have you trained in this fashion at all?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

i have spent most of this year training similar to this and was just thinking of ways to make some improvements. the squats every workout so far have been 1 main squat day using 5/3/1 and the other 2 days were 3x5 at 65-75% depending on how i feel that day. i have gone up to 3x5 squats at 75% as a warm up for the coan deadlift program which i am finishing up right now. i like to call that man day lol.

the plan is to do the squat days just like the cube where its 1 top set for most days; RE is 1x80% AMRAP and ME is 1x90+%. DE is 60-70% (or 50%+25% bands or chains) for 5+ sets of 2.

day 1 is commonly done on sundays where i train at a strongman gym. so the other part can include overhead work, farmers, truck pulls, sled work, stones, etc. we can go for up to 4 hours on that day. as for day 2, i love my deadlifts and i usually am well recovered by then. day 3 can take me till friday to feel recovered well enough to hit things again. but it does not slow me down for sundays.

you are right about prehad and what i posted. i used to do things like foam rolling, facepulls, etc every workout. i miss them most days now mainly due to time constraints and i feel more mobile and pain free nowadays. i put them in the other part in case i feel like more volume for the day, i have the time, or just as reminder to do them sometimes. i will even do them on non workout days after i put my daughter to bed and i dont want to go to sleep yet myself.

here is my current plan for the last few months:
    day 1
    bench 5/3/1
    squats 3x5 @ 65-75%
    other

day 2
    squats 3x5 @ 65-75%
    deadlifts coan/phillipi
    rows 5/3/1, first set last
    other

day 3
    squats cube
    overhead 5/3/1, joker sets with push/press
    pullups
    other

before that i did 5/3/1 with the BBB template but hit it just 3 days a week so i never did a deload as it took 6 weeks to go through the program once. i did do the BBB work on the next day as well. for example:
    squats 5/3/1 with bench BBB work & other
    overhead 5/3/1 with squat BBB work & other
    deadlifts 5/3/1 with overhead BBB work and rows & other
    bench 5/3/1 with squat BBB work, yes that is right, more squats & other

i really like the upper/lower every day work and want to go back to it. my pulling used to always be better than my pushing and now its the opposite so i want to pull every workout to help catch that up again.
    •   

Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Ohh and there was a 2 month period where I aimed for 100 swings a day. I started with a 35lbs KB doing 10x10. Moved up to 63lbs by week 5 and did 4x25. My last session I did 60 reps them 2x20. Im thinking of doing 100 swings on non workout days.
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

It looks like it can be done and certainly will build your work capacity and ethic some.
    Can I ask your specific goals? Are you eventually going to center towards 1-2 lifts for a specific increase (say 1RM), as you will most likely have to shave work/volume and or intensity somewhere as the cycle moves up!?

I did not see OHP in your first layout, but I see you added them on the next post.
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Can I ask your specific goals?
    simply, be stronger.

more specifically,
    1)improve my powerlifting total
    2)get leaner, i have plenty to shed to drop down to a lighter weight class. the extra weight is not helping me in my case.
    3)have fun working out

i have a meet next weekend, its more for experience than anything and dont even plan on tapering. my next one is in november and i plan on trying to peak for that one. i dont have another meet planned till april. i have a torn meniscus and i am probably going to deal with that over the winter.

there is some regulation in each workout. that is one thing i try and do for my workouts, the ability to drop stuff and not hurt my goals. sometimes i have to cut it short due to time others its due to fatigue. that is why i try and keep it down to just a few things in my workout; main lift, weak link/accessory work, other.

i did westside last year. learned a lot from it, like how to strain. but i would miss a workout a lot during the week so that is why i am going with 3 days a week. its much easier to make up a day. i still wanted to keep the idea of ME/DE days for my deadlifts and squats as i felt it really helped them out. i did find i dont need much volume and my deads go up so once a week is plenty. i have made gains on once a month even. with doing squats twice a week i wanted to push the frequency more like what the russians do and so far i love it. at first i was thinking of 3x5 every workout but figured id get volume from slowing down the warm ups and just aiming for 1 top set with each workout doing a different focus, eg RE, DE, ME.

westside didnt do much of anything for my bench. i mainly think it was just that i sucked so bad at benching and needed more rep work for added mass and skill in the movement. so far 5/3/1 is doing wonders for it. im hoping 5/3/1 will do the same for my overheads which have stalled out for nearly a year. its not part of my goals of improving my powerlifting total but does fit into my have fun goal. i like the overheads. especially when i got my push/press to match my bench at one point.

yes i can be a program hopper. last year was the longest i have ever gone doing a single program. starting this year i wanted a higher frequency plan and more volume. that is why i ran 5/3/1 with BBB the way i did. i changed as i wanted to squat every workout and the volume/frenquency on my deads was actually hurting me. i was loosing ground. i am running coan to get my dead back up to where it was a year ago before i hurt my knee and i want to finally break 500. i am so close right now. after coan i wanted to just modify what i am doing as i like it so far. the frequency, the intensity, the RE work. it makes me feel good and allows for on the spot changes in hopes i wont program hop again soon.
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    starting this year i wanted a higher frequency plan and more volume. that is why i ran 5/3/1 with BBB the way i did. i changed as i wanted to squat every workout and the volume/frenquency on my deads was actually hurting me. i was loosing ground. i am running coan to get my dead back up to where it was a year ago before i hurt my knee and i want to finally break 500. i am so close right now. after coan i wanted to just modify what i am doing as i like it so far. the frequency, the intensity, the RE work. it makes me feel good and allows for on the spot changes in hopes i wont program hop again soon.
    Are you built more for squats or deads do you think?
    Was just wondering why you wanted to squat every W/O?, not that there is anything wrong with it.
    I am more puller type, if my squat went up, my dead would follow some, (not always the other way around) unless my low back was not recovering. But I always seem to do best with only 2x per week squats at most. That is why I asked about squatting frequency and that your dead frequency last time, was hurting it.
    Where do find that your dead stalls most?
    Conventional or sumo?

When you say "close" on the #500 pull, is that like #480+.
    Just a few vocal thoughts...
    #500 was a mental stump for me, (as certain weights are for some) more than an actual physical one. Once I got it, it was easy to keep hitting it and now, it is a stone in the ramp ups.
    I used to pull it from just at knees or maybe 18", to keep getting a feel and look at it. You know, hold it in my hands for a count. Then I would up the weight even some more on the rack lockouts. It eventually got to where it was not at all intimidating.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

My main trepidation wouldn't be the CNS as you know how to read that properly; it's with the huge potential for overuse injuries.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post

Are you built more for squats or deads do you think?
    Was just wondering why you wanted to squat every W/O?, not that there is anything wrong with it.
    I am more puller type, if my squat went up, my dead would follow some, (not always the other way around) unless my low back was not recovering. But I always seem to do best with only 2x per week squats at most. That is why I asked about squatting frequency and that your dead frequency last time, was hurting it.
    Where do find that your dead stalls most?
    Conventional or sumo?

When you say "close" on the #500 pull, is that like #480+.
    Just a few vocal thoughts...
    #500 was a mental stump for me, (as certain weights are for some) more than an actual physical one. Once I got it, it was easy to keep hitting it and now, it is a stone in the ramp ups.
    I used to pull it from just at knees or maybe 18", to keep getting a feel and look at it. You know, hold it in my hands for a count. Then I would up the weight even some more on the rack lockouts. It eventually got to where it was not at all intimidating.
    Deads. Definitely.

I hurt my knee about a year ago. Squatting every workout makes my knee feel much better. Even if its just 135 on the bar. I don't seem to be abke to handle much volume each workout on squats though so I wanted to try and spread out the work.

I pull conventional. I begin to stall at the knees and even at times can have difficulty locking out, especially when im fatigued. Keep in mind im a slow puller. By slow I mean above 90% I can take 5-10 seconds to finish a pull. Its just plain horrible to watch.

My current best is 474. I failed at my knees on my 485 attempts but my last meet I got 465 and pulled it faster than usual as in it looked like someone that actually pulls fast.

My deads suffered IMO from my lower back being to fatigued. I just never felt fully recovered each time i would deadlift.
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    I hurt my knee about a year ago. Squatting every workout makes my knee feel much better. Even if its just 135 on the bar. I don't seem to be abke to handle much volume each workout on squats though so I wanted to try and spread out the work.
    Okay, well if you are not overtraining your low back on them, then only you most likely know where to gas and where to reign in.

I pull conventional. I begin to stall at the knees and even at times can have difficulty locking out, especially when im fatigued. Keep in mind im a slow puller. By slow I mean above 90% I can take 5-10 seconds to finish a pull. Its just plain horrible to watch.
    A grinder, I can relate, as sometimes mine take a bit of grudge to keep moving.

My current best is 474. I failed at my knees on my 485 attempts but my last meet I got 465 and pulled it faster than usual as in it looked like someone that actually pulls fast.
    Well ,I was gonna say, sometimes good speed off the floor helps with some momentum when you get to the dead spot, ( areason why I still add speed work with chains or bands and lighter loads) but with it just almost stalling after a good start no matter, I might be inclined to think some dead start rack/pin pulls might help that!?
    I was doing 15" pin pulls (starts close to my dead spot at shins, some guys think they should be able to pull more up here because you are just starting higher, but it seems not always the case. Some of the areas are a tough start, beings you start to transition out to get past the knees here)
    and it bothered me a bit at first, when I was not able to "do more", from the 15" or 16", because of that higher start and off the pins, but you get almost no bar flex at all, so the weight is exactly that amount right when you start the pull. It can be humbling. The thing is, my low back was not getting as beat up, because once the weight started moving, I did not have as far to go to lockout, (like a full rep and was training the rough part mostly) so I was able to use the 85%-90%+ loads for a few multi set & reps or singles and my low back recovered well or was not as hammered after a few sessions.
    If your lockout is a bit slow, you might want to try a few of those and or even higher set ups (say at 18"-19"-20" !? at the knees, don't go too high over the knees, since to me, it just seems like an ego boost using big loads, but never gave me much carryover to a floor pull)
    This is just my 2 cents worth, but I might think you could get the top a tad stronger with this, then drop a set or 3 to the floor or even a 1"-2" deficit by dropping the weight #100 pounds.
    I looked over both Tom Martin's and David Hansen's pulls/work, and see that those guys used quite a bit of pin pulls to help. Both are puller built and thinner builds, but pull upwards of #750 #800.
    Dan Green (even though pulls sumo) also is using more rack starts and mixes it up.

As you get more advanced, you can add some chains/maybe bands mayhaps and make the top lock out off the pins past the knees real tough.
    Just sayin'
    Either way, all the best with your layout/plan and I am sure your are closer to the #500 than you may think...!

Similar Forum Threads

1. is something wrong with this site it says im not logged in but
    By Outside Backer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 04:33 PM
  2. whats wrong with this pic
    By shady in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:31 AM
  3. PGF-2 WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THIS!
    By BuiltOne in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 10:58 AM
  4. what the HELL is wrong with people
    By Kristopher in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 07:27 PM
  5. Anyone that have experiences with this?
    By StrayDOG in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 02:15 PM