Too much grip training?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Just would like some input on if I'm doing to much for forearms and grip strength. I do two grip training sessions a week a few hours after my DE and ME days which are 72 hours apart. I start off with 7 sets of super gripper, 1 warm up and 1 cool down are included in the 7 sets. Then I do four sets of farmers walks 85-90 feet each set. After that I do 20 pound plate pinches for 3 sets of 30 seconds. Next I do two sets of news paper crinkling idk how to describe it just grab the news paper by the edge with two fingers and crinkle it into a tiny ball. I do two sets each sets consists of 4 paper sheets in a row. Then I finish with 1-2 minutes each hand with a powerball its like a gyro resistance tool if u don't know what it is look it up its pretty cool. So my question is am I doing too much in one days time for grip or is it good to hammer it home? Any advice is welcome. I posted this in the strongman section originally but I felt like it might be better suited here.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It sounds like quite a bit for one day.
For me too, I think there is a dif between squeezing rep type and just holding or static strength. (just sayin')
2 cents..
These forearm muscles are small and get trained fairly quick (like calves) IMO, so I feel, a lot of volume is not necessary.
The bottom line will be "your" recovery and how much you are improving if so???
If you are squeezing (say an Ironmind #2) for reps and only started with a single, then you are gaining, if not, you are just spinning wheels.

Here is what I used to do after a W/O.
Static holds for time in a rack maybe 3 sets letting the grip eventually fail and the bar just escapes from hands (great grip/hold builder for hanging on to heavy deads)
Pinches of concrete block, trying to crush with a wide hand.
Ironmind grippers for say 3x10-20 reps

Second day might be wrist curls starting with a heavy weight and just stripping weight off as my forearms blew up or say wrist rollers up and down with weight rope etc.
Overhead holds (sup and pronate) maybe on a chin bar with weight attached to belt.

Thru the week I might throw in some gripper reps while watching the tube!?!?

After a few sets of these my grip was fried.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
It sounds like quite a bit for one day.
For me too, I think there is a dif between squeezing rep type and just holding or static strength. (just sayin')
2 cents..
These forearm muscles are small and get trained fairly quick (like calves) IMO, so I feel, a lot of volume is not necessary.
The bottom line will be "your" recovery and how much you are improving if so???
If you are squeezing (say an Ironmind #2) for reps and only started with a single, then you are gaining, if not, you are just spinning wheels.

Here is what I used to do after a W/O.
Static holds for time in a rack maybe 3 sets letting the grip eventually fail and the bar just escapes from hands (great grip/hold builder for hanging on to heavy deads)
Pinches of concrete block, trying to crush with a wide hand.
Ironmind grippers for say 3x10-20 reps

Second day might be wrist curls starting with a heavy weight and just stripping weight off as my forearms blew up or say wrist rollers up and down with weight rope etc.
Overhead holds (sup and pronate) maybe on a chin bar with weight attached to belt.

Thru the week I might throw in some gripper reps while watching the tube!?!?

After a few sets of these my grip was fried.
Alright I'm smelling what ur stepping in, ill split them up into different workout seshs don't wanna destroy em beyond recovery

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, not trying to say your not doing it right, I just maybe should have first asked...
How are you measuring your progress?
Are you nail bending?
Pinching heavier and heavier stuff?
Closing a gripper for more and more reps?
See where I am going?

When I did static holds with a heavy BB in rack, either single hand or double, my grip the next day was horrid and like jelly. 2 days after however and I could overhand hold, stuff I was only able to switch grip weeks earlier.
Same with my grippers. I would slowly add one rep per w/o and eventually reached a point that reps over certain counts got messy.
Funny thing also, and other guys have reflected this to me also, grippers ie: squeezing reps and static strength, never really complimented each. If I did grippers it did not seem to make a great dif in hanging on to huge rack pulls or deads and vice versa.
YMMV!?!?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Well, not trying to say your not doing it right, I just maybe should have first asked...
How are you measuring your progress?
Are you nail bending?
Pinching heavier and heavier stuff?
Closing a gripper for more and more reps?
See where I am going?

When I did static holds with a heavy BB in rack, either single hand or double, my grip the next day was horrid and like jelly. 2 days after however and I could overhand hold, stuff I was only able to switch grip weeks earlier.
Same with my grippers. I would slowly add one rep per w/o and eventually reached a point that reps over certain counts got messy.
Funny thing also, and other guys have reflected this to me also, grippers ie: squeezing reps and static strength, never really complimented each. If I did grippers it did not seem to make a great dif in hanging on to huge rack pulls or deads and vice versa.
YMMV!?!?
Well or the plate pinches I try to add more time each session before upping the weight, farmers walks I try to increase the distance walked, the super gripper I'm trying to do more reps with the same weight each time with one hand. So say I get five reps with 175lbs but I needed my other hand to stabilize the one side the next time I'd do three reps with both hands and then 2 reps with one hand. The powerball and newspaper I don't really judge progression I just do them for the pump so at the end of a grip sesh.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Would u suggest doing possibly one exercise for grip training a night spaced out like sat,sun,tue,wed,thurs mon and fri off?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Man, I don't know!?!?! Ha ha. Grip training for me was and still is, very instinctive. If I am in the mood for a quick session, I might just knock out a set of static holds or a few gripper reps/sets, but other than that, I have no idea. As I said, more is not always better, but grip can recover pretty fast IMO. If you are adding strength, then you are going in the right direction, if not regroup, as more is not always better, quality can be better than quantity at times.
I also never wanted my grip training to erode over into my heavy dead sessions. So I watched when I did the grip work in comparison to pulling.

If you are interested in true grip work, check out anything by David Horne's stuff. (It think he used #500 for wrist curls and weighed under #200 himself...!!!) There are quite a few guys out there, that are very humble looking grip monsters. Tearing pieces off of quarters or decks of cards in halves.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Man, I don't know!?!?! Ha ha. Grip training for me was and still is, very instinctive. If I am in the mood for a quick session, I might just knock out a set of static holds or a few gripper reps/sets, but other than that, I have no idea. As I said, more is not always better, but grip can recover pretty fast IMO. If you are adding strength, then you are going in the right direction, if not regroup, as more is not always better, quality can be better than quantity at times.
I also never wanted my grip training to erode over into my heavy dead sessions. So I watched when I did the grip work in comparison to pulling.

If you are interested in true grip work, check out anything by David Horne's stuff. (It think he used #500 for wrist curls and weighed under #200 himself...!!!) There are quite a few guys out there, that are very humble looking grip monsters. Tearing pieces off of quarters or decks of cards in halves.
That's sounds good bro beans I appreciate all ur advice, ill definitely look that guy up I'm always interested in how to train for ripping phone books and stuff like that.