Wearing a weight belt for ALL LIFTS?

  1. Registered User
    TylersBig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13
    Answers
    0

    Question Wearing a weight belt for ALL LIFTS?


    There's a few guys in my gym that use a belt for literally every lift, and they don't take it off through out their entire session.

    My question is, What are the benefits to this, if any? Has anyone had any success (or failure) with this?

    Any help is much appreciated.

  2. Registered User
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,159
    Answers
    0


    Sounds ridiculous to me. If they can't do light weight lifts without a belt, then their bodies will end up needing it like a crutch.
    I personally don't belt up until I start approaching about 80% of my max for that particular lift depending on how I feel that day.
    I know power lifters use the belt a little more strategically. I'm sure if Rodja sees this he will fill you in more on that aspect.
  3. Registered User
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,374
    Answers
    0


    are they at least throwing around some respectable weight? of are they just a pack of big giant puss-c's
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,804
    Answers
    0


    Sometimes, I think they are a reg part of the gym attire. I trhink I wore one too when I first started absolute years ago. I rarely wear one now.
    PL'ers use them for assistance and making the torso tighter and pushing the abs out against them. Some of these guys wear them so tight, you could not necessarily workout in them like that.
    Some guys also probably gain a sense of security from them. It can be a false sense however, as they will not necessarily keep you from getting injured with heavy or max attempts, especially if you crap up the form.

    Train the low back, abs and core to be strong and be the real belt IMO.
  5. Registered User
    crispycrown's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    483
    Answers
    0


    Belts are ridiculous, unless you are moving a lot of weight or did some crazy core day the day before I'd never use a belt. Training your core should just be defined to abs (which happens far too often IMO)

    But your core consists of your low lumbar, your lats (think base), obliques, gluteus medius, and finally abdominals. That being said a big 0 of these are working with a weight belt on. I look at half these old dudes in my gym and laugh, congratulations you just turned a full body workout into something that can barely be qualified as a compound lift.

    Everything stems from the core, even sitting on a machine if your core isn't strong and tight you are seriously lacking for what could be a better workout.

    Notice bodybuilders, most of which never use belts unless doing crazy weights the likes of which no normal person will see, never use belts.
    Then when it's competition time all these guys get on stage and what's the one area that between every pose they keep tighter than an emo dudes pants? The core.

    Lift without it and as long as you are safe and practice good form and never sacrifice form for weight you will be leagues ahead of the guy next to you with a belt.

    Just my .02

    -CC
  6. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,175
    Answers
    0


    there is a myth i heard once that bodybuilders think it will help to shrink their ab area by wearing it all the time. sillyness i say.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  7. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Answers
    0


    If you dont work out with a belt it means you don't curl enough weight in the squat rack.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,628
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by TylersBig View Post
    There's a few guys in my gym that use a belt for literally every lift, and they don't take it off through out their entire session.

    My question is, What are the benefits to this, if any? Has anyone had any success (or failure) with this?

    Any help is much appreciated.
    It's bc they have fat bellies
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  9. dds
    dds is offline
    Registered User
    dds's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    270
    Answers
    0


    i only wear my belt with the DL and SQT only when im working over 10-15% of my body weight (300# of love). anyother time its sitting my my gymbag keeping my other stuff company
  10. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    It's bc they have fat bellies
    Hey now...not ALL of us fatties roll like that.

    I wear mine for ME skwatz & DL, generally on lifts >85% 1RM. I've got a bad lower back, so I really try to hold off using it in the interest of making it stronger.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  11. Registered User
    capo180's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,059
    Answers
    0


    they probably have a real weak core (which is probably a product of excessive belt wear) .. or maybe read an issue of mens health (or other bs mag) talking about risk of injuring your back by not wearing a belt. or maybe they think it makes em look more professional in the gym..

    WHO KNOWS.
  12. Registered User
    kenpoengineer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,101
    Answers
    5


    Hmm, I'm 53 and wear my belt frequently as a safeguard to lower back injury. I agree with the strong core requirement so I do core work as required. I think you younger guys shouldn't wear belts until you are in the 80% or above max area. But, as an older lifter i believe the belt prevents back injury by stabilizing the core. IMHO
  13. Registered User
    crispycrown's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    483
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Hmm, I'm 53 and wear my belt frequently as a safeguard to lower back injury. I agree with the strong core requirement so I do core work as required. I think you younger guys shouldn't wear belts until you are in the 80% or above max area. But, as an older lifter i believe the belt prevents back injury by stabilizing the core. IMHO
    During the exercise yes but overall no.
    The idea that a belt will protect you is unproven and if anything the evidence goes against it. (Not knockin ya, just stating facts)


    About to drop some science on y'all

    In some studies done (Reddell and colleagues, 1992, Mitchell and colleagues, 1994, Wassell and colleagues, 2000) they found evidence that use of belts for workers already injured might slightly benefit from belts to prevent re-injury, but the evidence is weak. Although there is still some evidence there, further research indicated that there is no support that weight belts will prevent injury to those un-injured workers. Actually, the risk of injury seemed to increase in those not injured prior to belt usage!

    Basically the belt is used as a crutch and like the study says, crutches are fine for those with Injuries but it can set so much out of alignment, including diaphragm breathing which is easily one of the biggest power producers on heavy lifts.


    A study by McGill and colleagues (1990) showed that weight lifting belt usage showed no difference in lower back/abdominal muscle activity than those not utilizing belts. Reyna and colleagues (1995) and Ciriello and Snook (1995) both showed that belts provided no reduction in fatigue or loading of the lower back extensors with belt use. Therefore one can conclude that the lower back musculature is firing the same regardless of belt usage.

    Along with that contraction of the belt is the problem of blood flow and since this thread is based off of dudes wearing it all day..
    One study by Hunter and colleagues (1989) looked at how blood pressure and heart rate were affected by belts. They took 6 individuals and had them perform dead lifts, riding bicycles, or perform a one-armed bench press while wearing and not wearing a 4 in. weight belt. The lifting exercise resulted in an increase in blood pressure (up to 15 mmHg) and significantly higher HR as well.

    So there ya go, worse for breathing, the muscles, the core, and even your heart. Science!
  14. Registered User
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,169
    Answers
    2


    I posted a short summary of Stuart McGill's research on wearing a weight belt for anyone who is interested.

    https://www.facebook.com/bencarpente...46813605366894
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  15. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Answers
    0


    Meh, I'm 49 and the only thing I wear a belt for is squats above 75%. Don't wear one for deadlift.

    My 'core' gets enough work that I don't worry about back injury...
  16. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,175
    Answers
    0


    about the firing of muscles while wearing a belt, thats not the purpose of the belt so why does that even matter. its like doing a study on whether milk makes good bricks.

    the belt is to allow for an increase in intra-adbominal pressure (IAP). here is mcgill on the subject showing that IAP does help.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...21929098001298
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  17. Registered User
    TylersBig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13
    Answers
    0


    Thank you all for the responses, it has certainly helped me sort out the pros and cons of wearing the belt on all lifts.
  18. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  19. Registered User
    TheSwanks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,983
    Answers
    0


    I only wear a belt when I curl in the bicep rack. you know, the one where people sometimes do that weird leg exercise? I hate those people, I just want to hit come curls!
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  20. dds
    dds is offline
    Registered User
    dds's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    270
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    or maybe they think it makes em look more professional in the gym..
    BING!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER
  21. Registered User
    compudog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    964
    Answers
    0


    I use a belt for overhead press over 135 lb because it beats the hell out of my lower back otherwise. I can press 175 "strict" btw. Under normal circumstances I don't use a belt for any other lifts, I like the core workout I get from heavy deads and squats without one. I will sometimes use a belt for *every* lift when I'm injured, it's better than staying home IMO. Maybe I'm one of the guys the OP was on about?
  22. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,473
    Answers
    3


    When I was injured (lumbar), I actually went counter to the logic that one should wear a belt all of the time. I wanted to rehab my core and know exactly what weight my body couldn't handle. I knew I could add another plate by belting up, but that wasn't helping me strengthen the area. This training cycle I went beltless more often than usual (including heavy Good Mornings) and it's helped my squat tremendously.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  23. Registered User
    compudog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    964
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    When I was injured (lumbar), I actually went counter to the logic that one should wear a belt all of the time. I wanted to rehab my core and know exactly what weight my body couldn't handle. I knew I could add another plate by belting up, but that wasn't helping me strengthen the area. This training cycle I went beltless more often than usual (including heavy Good Mornings) and it's helped my squat tremendously.
    Hey 'dude, not to derail the thread but I have a question. I don't do good mornings, but I do do RDL, which as far as I can tell is a pretty similar movement. Do you know of any reason to prefer one over the other?
  24. Registered User
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,159
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post

    Hey 'dude, not to derail the thread but I have a question. I don't do good mornings, but I do do RDL, which as far as I can tell is a pretty similar movement. Do you know of any reason to prefer one over the other?
    RDL's still require other strengths that Good Mornings do not. Ex: grip/forearm, delts. Good mornings, IMO, are an accessory lift to build strength and mobility.
  25. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,473
    Answers
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post

    Hey 'dude, not to derail the thread but I have a question. I don't do good mornings, but I do do RDL, which as far as I can tell is a pretty similar movement. Do you know of any reason to prefer one over the other?
    Better carryover to the squat and deadlift because of higher demand on the core and back. The amount of variables you can change in GMs allows a lot of different stimulation. And you can do heavy triples all the way up to marathon 20-rep sets. Not that RDLs should be ditched, but GMs are the king of multipurpose supplementary exercises.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  26. Registered User
    compudog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    964
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Better carryover to the squat and deadlift because of higher demand on the core and back. The amount of variables you can change in GMs allows a lot of different stimulation. And you can do heavy triples all the way up to marathon 20-rep sets. Not that RDLs should be ditched, but GMs are the king of multipurpose supplementary exercises.
    Thanks. I kind of thought the stress might be more focused on the lumbar/core due to the difference in leverage, whereas RDL probably targets the glutes & hams more. And I suppose you're right, there's probably a lot more room for variation with the GM. Guess I'm going to have to incorporate them, probably best for the old lumbar in the long run.
  27. Registered User
    compudog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    964
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    RDL's still require other strengths that Good Mornings do not. Ex: grip/forearm, delts. Good mornings, IMO, are an accessory lift to build strength and mobility.
    That's true. One of the reasons I started doing RDLs was to work on my grip strength, and it's paid off that way too.
  28. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,804
    Answers
    0


    GM's certainly hit the exertion of my abs and gut stabilizers more and the shear is greater IMO with the weight back on the shoulders as it does not swing in by pivoting at the shoulder. It stays more put while your shoulders ride the weight out over your lower body to some extent since you can only slide the butt back so far.
    The RDL will hit the upper back more since the weight will be more upright a lot of the time staying close to the legs throughout and it might be a bit more user friendly, if you are built for pulling and or are longer limbed and perhaps thinner. I have used #500+ for x5 x6 reps in the RDL, I cannot use no way that much in the GM.
    That all said, I kinda fall in the school of not picking just one, if you don;t have to. Surely pound one harder if your head is in it and you feel better at it, but I am not built for the greatest squat leverages, but still do the GM on occasions to get a different angle/loading for training the PC.
  29. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,473
    Answers
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post

    Thanks. I kind of thought the stress might be more focused on the lumbar/core due to the difference in leverage, whereas RDL probably targets the glutes & hams more. And I suppose you're right, there's probably a lot more room for variation with the GM. Guess I'm going to have to incorporate them, probably best for the old lumbar in the long run.
    Oh trust me, you'll feel the GM in your glutes and hams if you do them standing and brace your core. If you do them seated you'll really target the upper back. Always brace your core when doing GMs, it's a big no-no to go into lumbar flexion with weight on your back. The lumbar work will be more isometric. You can either bend or lock your knees and that should change whether you hit hams or glutes. I'd research up on the different variations so you get an idea of what you want to do with them.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  30. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,804
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    I'd research up on the different variations so you get an idea of what you want to do with them.
    This
  31. Registered User
    TylersBig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    I will sometimes use a belt for *every* lift when I'm injured, it's better than staying home IMO. Maybe I'm one of the guys the OP was on about?
    Nope, just healthy guys that use it for everything regardless
  32. Registered User
    crispycrown's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    483
    Answers
    0


    What I imagine most these dudes thinking

    Name:  image-2178028808.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  96.7 KB
  33. Registered User
    compudog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    964
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    GM's certainly hit the exertion of my abs and gut stabilizers more and the shear is greater IMO with the weight back on the shoulders as it does not swing in by pivoting at the shoulder. It stays more put while your shoulders ride the weight out over your lower body to some extent since you can only slide the butt back so far.
    The RDL will hit the upper back more since the weight will be more upright a lot of the time staying close to the legs throughout and it might be a bit more user friendly, if you are built for pulling and or are longer limbed and perhaps thinner. I have used #500+ for x5 x6 reps in the RDL, I cannot use no way that much in the GM.
    That all said, I kinda fall in the school of not picking just one, if you don;t have to. Surely pound one harder if your head is in it and you feel better at it, but I am not built for the greatest squat leverages, but still do the GM on occasions to get a different angle/loading for training the PC.
    Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking too. The lever is longer with the GM and fixed as well as you point out, which means you can't sit back as far, which means not as much focus on the hams. However due to the longer lever the torque force is going to be larger, which should mean more stress on the lumbar/core. I do RDLs every week at 315+ but I doubt I'm going to load up a GM that way. I've done a few variations in the past, think I'm going to give it another try to see if I can't work on that lumbar a bit. Never hurts to have a stronger lower back.
  34. Registered User
    rockme's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    349
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by TylersBig View Post
    There's a few guys in my gym that use a belt for literally every lift, and they don't take it off through out their entire session.

    My question is, What are the benefits to this, if any? Has anyone had any success (or failure) with this?

    Any help is much appreciated.
    Not advised, my friend. Their physiques will respond much better without it as far hypertrophy and strength go. I personally never wear a belt (or staps, wraps etc), even when I get down to a 2RM. These individuals that wear a belt all the time are either doing it because they are misinformed or want to look like a "lifter?"
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Weight Belt for squats/deadlifts?
    By arfcommer in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
  2. Wearing your belt for a small mid section
    By reeftank03 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
  3. Weight belt is REQUIRED for squats at my gym
    By SteaminDman in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
  4. lifting belt necessary for dead lifts?
    By Super Penguin in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 06:36 AM
  5. Should I be using a weight belt for squats?
    By drguitar78 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 11:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in