Bench help

Stl_Lift

Stl_Lift

Awards
I'm training madcow 5x5 with my friend that is fairly new to lifting. I'm back on madcows so I scaled him down in weight and were building him up. His squats, rows and deads are progressing nicely and ohp is not to far behind but his bench is stalling out around 165lbs... We are working on form but what I've noticed as the weight get heavier is that his left arm pulls in real close to his body and his whole body shifts, thus losing leverage.

This is the first place I looked and asked for suggestions, but anything is welcome. Should we focus on dumbells for awhile? Tris? Thanks.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
but what I've noticed as the weight get heavier is that his left arm pulls in real close to his body and his whole body shifts, thus losing leverage.
If the form and pushing is balanced and good on "lighter" weights!?, I think one thing to do, is make sure the lifter becomes aware of this skewing/favoring of one side movement, and make sure to push evenly keeping the body in balance without twisting etc.
If you have to keep the weight lighter, in order to get the lifter to learn to keep the pushing muscles balanced and keep the firing in proper order, for him to learn this,( and thus his muscles and CNS will learn the proper pattern in even pushing) then stay lighter with good form and slowly move the weight up over the months to cement that form.

Otherwise, not seeing his posture or if he ever sustained a shoulder injury etc., thinking that this will just correct itself with heavier work, to me is probably not the best approach.
I liken it to when the knees come in during a concentric squat. You just have to become aware you are doing it, and stop it. Making yourself push upwards evenly.
If you cannot do the rep properly without odd twist compensation, then stop the rep and learn the proper path way and firing order of the muscles.

Flexibility and stretching may be in order too.
ZirRed may post some good PT stuff!?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It just sounds like a technique issue and maybe a strength imbalance on his sides. Yes, dumbbell work could help, but I'd fall back on working on the bench press technique itself and cuing him into using proper form.

Stl_Lift

Stl_Lift

Awards
Great advice! Thanks guys.