165 to 201 in 6 mos... now what?

rockme

rockme

Awards
After spending a long time being obsessed with being lean and bodybuilding, I became tired of counting cals, macros, blahblah. I also became tired of being so damn weak. So I followed an Ed Coan periodization plan twice over the last 7 mos and the results were as follow:

Bodyweight: 165 - 201
Squat: 220x1 - 260X2
bench: 180x4 - 230x2
deads: 260x5 - 325x2

Bodyfat obviously went up, but I did become bigger and stronger, so whatever. I ate mostly clean cals, but I ate like a horse and did not count a single cal.

Anyways, I miss working out w dumbbells! Any programs that would satisfy my bodybuilding bug and still focus on periodized gains in strength. I'm a big fan of percentage based increments. I'm also a natural athlete, so a program that fits that as well.

Ive read a little on the cube method. sounds cool. But is it a percentage based raw program? I don't even use a belt when I max : )

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wendlers 5/3/1

Dave Tate Periodization Bible as assistance.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Wendlers 5/3/1

Dave Tate Periodization Bible as assistance.
Yeah. Thought about something like that. I would like something with more heavy sets though. I heard he has a new 5/3/1 with more volume in the heavy sets. Have you seen it yet?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Beyond 531 has some new stuff. I have not read it yet, but apparently it has a lot of the info that was comprised over time off all the Tmag writings etc.
It also has more volume sets etc. at the ends. ie: Joker sets
I have heard some good feedback from some resources on it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rockme, I remember that bone you picked with the old 5/3/1. The new one is the same, but he adds more things you can do with it. He doesn't cover assistance, do what you want with that. He does cover stuff like doing your first set last, after your AMRAP set. You could do the first set last for AMRAP, 3x5-8. You could pyramid back down. Ect ect ect

He just offers a lot more ideas

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After spending a long time being obsessed with being lean and bodybuilding, I became tired of counting cals, macros, blahblah. I also became tired of being so damn weak. So I followed an Ed Coan periodization plan twice over the last 7 mos and the results were as follow:

Bodyweight: 165 - 201
Squat: 220x1 - 260X2
bench: 180x4 - 230x2
deads: 260x5 - 325x2

Bodyfat obviously went up, but I did become bigger and stronger, so whatever. I ate mostly clean cals, but I ate like a horse and did not count a single cal.

Anyways, I miss working out w dumbbells! Any programs that would satisfy my bodybuilding bug and still focus on periodized gains in strength. I'm a big fan of percentage based increments. I'm also a natural athlete, so a program that fits that as well.

Ive read a little on the cube method. sounds cool. But is it a percentage based raw program? I don't even use a belt when I max : )
I like p/rr/s and DC. When I cycle through routines, I always have my own routine I created. The first lift of the day is a compound lift and I go heavy weight low reps. The rest of the routine is 8-12 reps, negatives, supersets, drops. Best of both worlds for me.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Rockme, I remember that bone you picked with the old 5/3/1. The new one is the same, but he adds more things you can do with it. He doesn't cover assistance, do what you want with that. He does cover stuff like doing your first set last, after your AMRAP set. You could do the first set last for AMRAP, 3x5-8. You could pyramid back down. Ect ect ect

He just offers a lot more ideas
Someone posted a sample template of the new 5/3/1 Joker template. Looks tough. After the AMRAP set you can work up to a suitable 5 RM, and then a 1 Rm for that day, followed by 3 sets of your first working set x8 reps. Im going to buy it. See what else hes got in there

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Someone posted a sample template of the new 5/3/1 Joker template. Looks tough. After the AMRAP set you can work up to a suitable 5 RM, and then a 1 Rm for that day, followed by 3 sets of your first working set x8 reps. Im going to buy it. See what else hes got in there
Hm kind of but kind of not. You'll see when you get it man. Much better than his previous books.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Hm kind of but kind of not. You'll see when you get it man. Much better than his previous books.
Just from what I've heard and the little samples I've seen, it promises to be one heck of a book loaded w templates. I'm huge when it comes to templates, so I'm sure I will find some to my liking. Btw, I have been checking your log the whole time. Excellent progress bro

lboston

lboston

Awards
I like p/rr/s and DC. When I cycle through routines, I always have my own routine I created. The first lift of the day is a compound lift and I go heavy weight low reps. The rest of the routine is 8-12 reps, negatives, supersets, drops. Best of both worlds for me.
This is always my go to as well...love getting the heavy weight/ low reps with the hypertrophic work as well.

rockme

rockme

Awards
I got it. The template that jumped out at me the most was his advanced 5/3/1 template. I'm not a fan of the concept of the AMRAP set, and his advanced version does not include this. Hitting all 4 of the big lifts twice a week is something I can agree with. Some high rep assistance and done. I think I will do it. Seems like a program you would have to commit to long term. A year or so

gymguy21

Awards
I got it. The template that jumped out at me the most was his advanced 5/3/1 template. I'm not a fan of the concept of the AMRAP set, and his advanced version does not include this. Hitting all 4 of the big lifts twice a week is something I can agree with. Some high rep assistance and done. I think I will do it. Seems like a program you would have to commit to long term. A year or so
Hey man I've ran 5/3/1 since march and had great results. I used the regular 5/3/1 triumvirate template and loved it. Over time I added a few things here or there but for the most part just stuck to the basics and it worked great.