165 to 201 in 6 mos... now what?

  1. New Member
    rockme's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    2871
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    9.2%

    165 to 201 in 6 mos... now what?


    After spending a long time being obsessed with being lean and bodybuilding, I became tired of counting cals, macros, blahblah. I also became tired of being so damn weak. So I followed an Ed Coan periodization plan twice over the last 7 mos and the results were as follow:

    Bodyweight: 165 - 201
    Squat: 220x1 - 260X2
    bench: 180x4 - 230x2
    deads: 260x5 - 325x2

    Bodyfat obviously went up, but I did become bigger and stronger, so whatever. I ate mostly clean cals, but I ate like a horse and did not count a single cal.

    Anyways, I miss working out w dumbbells! Any programs that would satisfy my bodybuilding bug and still focus on periodized gains in strength. I'm a big fan of percentage based increments. I'm also a natural athlete, so a program that fits that as well.

    Ive read a little on the cube method. sounds cool. But is it a percentage based raw program? I don't even use a belt when I max : )

  2. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,319
    Rep Power
    7332979
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    37.57%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Wendlers 5/3/1


    Dave Tate Periodization Bible as assistance.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  3. New Member
    rockme's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    2871
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    9.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Wendlers 5/3/1

    Dave Tate Periodization Bible as assistance.
    Yeah. Thought about something like that. I would like something with more heavy sets though. I heard he has a new 5/3/1 with more volume in the heavy sets. Have you seen it yet?
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115626
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Beyond 531 has some new stuff. I have not read it yet, but apparently it has a lot of the info that was comprised over time off all the Tmag writings etc.
    It also has more volume sets etc. at the ends. ie: Joker sets
    I have heard some good feedback from some resources on it.
  5. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,703
    Rep Power
    3425571
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    8.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Rockme, I remember that bone you picked with the old 5/3/1. The new one is the same, but he adds more things you can do with it. He doesn't cover assistance, do what you want with that. He does cover stuff like doing your first set last, after your AMRAP set. You could do the first set last for AMRAP, 3x5-8. You could pyramid back down. Ect ect ect

    He just offers a lot more ideas
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  6. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,979
    Rep Power
    4209593
    Level
    89
    Lv. Percent
    33.19%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post
    After spending a long time being obsessed with being lean and bodybuilding, I became tired of counting cals, macros, blahblah. I also became tired of being so damn weak. So I followed an Ed Coan periodization plan twice over the last 7 mos and the results were as follow:

    Bodyweight: 165 - 201
    Squat: 220x1 - 260X2
    bench: 180x4 - 230x2
    deads: 260x5 - 325x2

    Bodyfat obviously went up, but I did become bigger and stronger, so whatever. I ate mostly clean cals, but I ate like a horse and did not count a single cal.

    Anyways, I miss working out w dumbbells! Any programs that would satisfy my bodybuilding bug and still focus on periodized gains in strength. I'm a big fan of percentage based increments. I'm also a natural athlete, so a program that fits that as well.

    Ive read a little on the cube method. sounds cool. But is it a percentage based raw program? I don't even use a belt when I max : )
    I like p/rr/s and DC. When I cycle through routines, I always have my own routine I created. The first lift of the day is a compound lift and I go heavy weight low reps. The rest of the routine is 8-12 reps, negatives, supersets, drops. Best of both worlds for me.
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com


  7. New Member
    rockme's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    2871
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    9.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Rockme, I remember that bone you picked with the old 5/3/1. The new one is the same, but he adds more things you can do with it. He doesn't cover assistance, do what you want with that. He does cover stuff like doing your first set last, after your AMRAP set. You could do the first set last for AMRAP, 3x5-8. You could pyramid back down. Ect ect ect

    He just offers a lot more ideas
    Someone posted a sample template of the new 5/3/1 Joker template. Looks tough. After the AMRAP set you can work up to a suitable 5 RM, and then a 1 Rm for that day, followed by 3 sets of your first working set x8 reps. Im going to buy it. See what else hes got in there
  8. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,703
    Rep Power
    3425571
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    8.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post

    Someone posted a sample template of the new 5/3/1 Joker template. Looks tough. After the AMRAP set you can work up to a suitable 5 RM, and then a 1 Rm for that day, followed by 3 sets of your first working set x8 reps. Im going to buy it. See what else hes got in there
    Hm kind of but kind of not. You'll see when you get it man. Much better than his previous books.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  9. New Member
    rockme's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    2871
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    9.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    Hm kind of but kind of not. You'll see when you get it man. Much better than his previous books.
    Just from what I've heard and the little samples I've seen, it promises to be one heck of a book loaded w templates. I'm huge when it comes to templates, so I'm sure I will find some to my liking. Btw, I have been checking your log the whole time. Excellent progress bro
  10. Senior Member
    lboston's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,247
    Rep Power
    27138
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    83.59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post

    I like p/rr/s and DC. When I cycle through routines, I always have my own routine I created. The first lift of the day is a compound lift and I go heavy weight low reps. The rest of the routine is 8-12 reps, negatives, supersets, drops. Best of both worlds for me.
    This is always my go to as well...love getting the heavy weight/ low reps with the hypertrophic work as well.
  11. New Member
    rockme's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    2871
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    9.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    Hm kind of but kind of not. You'll see when you get it man. Much better than his previous books.
    I got it. The template that jumped out at me the most was his advanced 5/3/1 template. I'm not a fan of the concept of the AMRAP set, and his advanced version does not include this. Hitting all 4 of the big lifts twice a week is something I can agree with. Some high rep assistance and done. I think I will do it. Seems like a program you would have to commit to long term. A year or so
  12. New Member
    gymguy21's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    41945
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    52%

    Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post

    I got it. The template that jumped out at me the most was his advanced 5/3/1 template. I'm not a fan of the concept of the AMRAP set, and his advanced version does not include this. Hitting all 4 of the big lifts twice a week is something I can agree with. Some high rep assistance and done. I think I will do it. Seems like a program you would have to commit to long term. A year or so
    Hey man I've ran 5/3/1 since march and had great results. I used the regular 5/3/1 triumvirate template and loved it. Over time I added a few things here or there but for the most part just stuck to the basics and it worked great.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Urgent! Going to Dr. in 2 hours - what tests for T thereapy follow-up?
    By paradigmer in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 09:35 PM
  2. What did I do to my Other shoulder now?
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
  3. I have to use to ez-bar for curls.. Now what?
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 02:07 AM
  4. Stupid question: what to mix in?
    By jrkarp in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 06:17 PM
  5. Well now, what to do with this brand new m-dien?
    By PastorofMuppets in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in