Are squats enough?

  1. New Member
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    53518
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    95.95%

    May be kind of a dumb question but to keep it short, many times on leg days I just hammer out a ton of squats. Whether it be heavy/low rep or otherwise. I love squats but I simply don't enjoy many other leg exercises.

    So am I going to run into a serious strength imbalance here soon?

    Note: If I do anything else it's typically a posterior chain type work (good mornings/SLDL)

  2. New Member
    pmdied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    12366
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    24.88%

    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJoey View Post
    May be kind of a dumb question but to keep it short, many times on leg days I just hammer out a ton of squats. Whether it be heavy/low rep or otherwise. I love squats but I simply don't enjoy many other leg exercises.

    So am I going to run into a serious strength imbalance here soon?

    Note: If I do anything else it's typically a posterior chain type work (good mornings/SLDL)
    Wondered this myself. There are many times where I do 10 -12 sets of squats and have nothing left for anything else. Especially when I'm doing 5x5. And I will typically do 3-4 warm up sets and then 2 sets of 15-20 as finishers. Really exhausting but works.
  3. Senior Member
    capo180's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,915
    Rep Power
    50474
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    23.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    How does you back day look? Do you do any deadlifting then?
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,876
    Rep Power
    245790
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    56.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    How does you back day look? Do you do any deadlifting then?
    ^this^ HeavyHeavy deads and some leg curls.
  5. New Member
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    53518
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    95.95%

    Quote Originally Posted by capo180
    How does you back day look? Do you do any deadlifting then?
    Yea I do deads on a separate day.
  6. Elite Member
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7,186
    Rep Power
    799402
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    94.73%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    IMO if you only did squats for legs week in and week out, your leg routine would be well above average, even among serious trainers. Stick to the big, basic, compound movements and use isolation movements to fix postural/muscular imbalances and you're ahead of the game, no matter your goals.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html
  7. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428714
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    43.07%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Depends on posture, bar positioning and also in goals IMO. I would recommend doing that, keeping the Posterior work like Good Morning and SLDLs and trying to keep balance between thighs, and also between the quadricep and hamsting development. Every 2-3 weeks if your hips get too tight, unilateral thigh work helps a lot in a high volume, like Bulgarian Split Squats, Step ups and/or Lunges/Walking Lunges to help with hip flexor strengthening so it doesn't cause problems anymore.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  8. Elite Member
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7,186
    Rep Power
    799402
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    94.73%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Depends on posture, bar positioning and also in goals IMO. I would recommend doing that, keeping the Posterior work like Good Morning and SLDLs and trying to keep balance between thighs, and also between the quadricep and hamsting development. Every 2-3 weeks if your hips get too tight, unilateral thigh work helps a lot in a high volume, like Bulgarian Split Squats, Step ups and/or Lunges/Walking Lunges to help with hip flexor strengthening so it doesn't cause problems anymore.
    Good point on the unilateral work! I don't do enough of that.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html
  9. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,552
    Rep Power
    8265295
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    21.92%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Switch up the type of squats; front, back, 1 & a 1/2 squats, heel raised, 3 sec negatives, pause squats, power squats, constant tension squats etc.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  10. New Member
    rockme's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    348
    Rep Power
    2877
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    13.78%

    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJoey View Post
    May be kind of a dumb question but to keep it short, many times on leg days I just hammer out a ton of squats. Whether it be heavy/low rep or otherwise. I love squats but I simply don't enjoy many other leg exercises.

    So am I going to run into a serious strength imbalance here soon?

    Note: If I do anything else it's typically a posterior chain type work (good mornings/SLDL)
    Squats and stiff leg deads sound like plenty to me. That's more or less what I do. Personally, I like to throw in extensions w TUT as I feel like they shape my quad nicely. I also like to run a few miles for my calves, as raises do very little compared to good ol fashion jogging
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
  3. Low LH , Fsh are you eating enough?
    By pete073 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 06:06 PM
  4. are squats and deads making me shorter?
    By tunnelrat in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:17 PM
  5. Are these 4 injection sites enough for one cycle?
    By Technics in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Log in
Log in