Question for those with experience with 5/3/1

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
So I started 5/3/1 for the second time this week. (Completed 4-5 cycles about 2 years ago)

My question is, on your final sets, how many reps are you guys getting? For bench on the 5 and 3 rep workouts, I did 12-13 reps. Isn't this a little high, being that this is supposed to be a strength-based routine?

Also, how close is Wendler's 1RM calculation for you guys? My 200x12 on bench this morning (could have gotten 13 fairly easily) calculates out to about 278 for my 1RM. I really don't think I could lift more than 255-260 though.

Finally, what kind of accessory routines have you seen the most success with as far as building mass?

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
they way i figured out my 1rm was to do a 3rm say 315x.0333x3+315 = 345 which is pretty damn close to my 1rm of 340 that i have done. so try basing your 1rm like that and im guessing your numbers will be closer. ive only been able to get +4-5 more reps on my 5 week and +3-4 more on my 3 week and +1-2 on my 5/3/1 week.

for mass im doing the boring but big with my 5x10 reps being 55% of my working max for the month...its been great for the last 4 months that way

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Yea, that's the calculation I was using. I guess I'll try a 3RM maybe during my deload week to adjust my percentages.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
For my first cycle, I was hitting +10 etc on my final lifts; after a few cycles it slowed down as the 1RM went up. The first cycle just gets you prepped

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
Also, Jim says to use 10% less of your 1RM. Perhaps that's why your 1RM max seems too high?

rockme

rockme

Awards
Yes, 12 reps is high for a strength based template. This was an issue I had with 5/3/1 when I tried it awhile back. That and I don't like going into a workout not having a pre designated goal for the day. Those AMRAP sets have little direction, and people may get caught up cranking out max reps at the expense of mechanics. There is a new 5/3/1 out, which I have purchased and am waiting on. It is said to have more templates and options, and even some with no AMRAP sets.

M

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Yes, 12 reps is high for a strength based template. This was an issue I had with 5/3/1 when I tried it awhile back. That and I don't like going into a workout not having a pre designated goal for the day. Those AMRAP sets have little direction, and people may get caught up cranking out max reps at the expense of mechanics. There is a new 5/3/1 out, which I have purchased and am waiting on. It is said to have more templates and options, and even some with no AMRAP sets.
Where did you get the new 5/3/1?

I was wondering if trying a 5x5 for assistance work after the main lift would be good for strength. So on bench day, do incline db for 5x5 or upright rows for 5x5 on OH press day.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
they way i figured out my 1rm was to do a 3rm say 315x.0333x3+315 = 345 which is pretty damn close to my 1rm of 340 that i have done. so try basing your 1rm like that and im guessing your numbers will be closer. ive only been able to get +4-5 more reps on my 5 week and +3-4 more on my 3 week and +1-2 on my 5/3/1 week.

for mass im doing the boring but big with my 5x10 reps being 55% of my working max for the month...its been great for the last 4 months that way
I'm basically in the same place with it and the BBB routine. I like it. 6 cycles in and still going strong

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Where did you get the new 5/3/1?

I was wondering if trying a 5x5 for assistance work after the main lift would be good for strength. So on bench day, do incline db for 5x5 or upright rows for 5x5 on OH press day.
you can get it from jims site as an E-Book right now

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I'm basically in the same place with it and the BBB routine. I like it. 6 cycles in and still going strong
this will be my program for a long time......its simple, easy and doesnt take much thought to do the work..jim did a great job putting this out for people like me that like workout dumbed down but work like hell