muscle soreness only after 2 to 3 days

maxram

maxram

Awards
Lately I've noticed that I get muscle soreness after 2 to 3 days. I have a rotating shift schedule so I can only workout every 3 days.

My body just got sore right now but I worked out 3 days ago.

Is that normal?

I don't want to go to the doctor yet.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's normal and called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or DOMS for short. It happens to all lifters. Enjoy the pain as its weakness leaving the body! Lol

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^ Yes.
It eventually gets better (lessens) as you get more acclimated to a program and the frequency you use.
What is kinda funny is, I have been at this for over 20 years and I do not think there has been a certain body part/area that has not felt some kind of recovering soreness over that time. Especially after a heavy squat session.

maxram

maxram

Awards
I was worried for a while. Thank you very much. I'm still new to all of this.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, there is a difference between muscle soreness from usage and actual injury. DOMS is just a muscle soreness that effects most of the muscle of a given body part (and can be kinda painful at times). Injury on the other hand has pain, but many times (not always) effects joints/tendons/ligaments and can be a much sharper movement style pain. I have had DOMS in my hams bad enough at times, where it is quite hard to navigate stairs or bend over to pick up a pencil.

This is another reason for recovery W/O's. (lighter moves, say squats, BP's rows etc. where you just get some extra blood flow into the areas, but not using any kind of heavy working weight. Like a flushing workout. It can help to alleviate DOMS to some degree.