2 or 3 day a week workouts

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.

2 or 3 day a week workouts

Hey all, I just got a new job and will be more time consuming. I'm going to workout with my dad who hasn't lifted in I don't know how long. He isn't very flexible so need ways to work on that and he wants to loose weight (I know alot of it has to do with diet). And just looking for a good routine to get him back in shape while maintaining mine. I plan on lifting 2 maybe 3 days a week, the other days we'll do cardio such as riding bikes or whatever else I can get him to do. I personally like hiit but I don't think he's ready for that so we'll stick to cycling or anything else yal advise. Thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

He needs to hit some volume to start getting the weight down as well as cardio. Gota burn calories to lose weight. Of course dieting is key as well. Programs like 5-3-1 and several others are 3 or 4 day a week workouts. You could do each workout as is (4 in each "week") or you could do something like bench/deadlift + assistance monday and OHP/squat +assistance thursday and work your cardio in around that. I would do some pushups and pullups at home or along with your cardio a day or two a week as well, just because you can't get to the gym doesn't mean you can't workout.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  0 lbs.

Takes a while to get back into cardio but I do it all the time.. doesn't have to be very time consuming either walking, light cardio (or hard if he wants to).
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

When was the last time he had a physical?
    How old is your pop?
    Does he do a physical job or is it more sedentary?
    If he is pretty inflexible, it might be a good idea, to just start some BW and bar only stuff for a few weeks and get used to body movements outside of the normal everyday activities.
    Walking, swimming, biking can all be used to up the cardio respiratory system.
    I would think, (depending on goals), he would not need reps under 8 and probably 10-12 for 3 sets, would be a good starting point for form, light weight and getting used to a progressive weight program.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.

I don't know about the physical but he is 51 and his job is pretty sedentary, I'll get him started with bw then progress to bar and high rep work and go from there
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Bw is good but try to include this training bars also, very light and can get him used to the form. But good form on the lifts will bring back a lot of flexibility. Also resistance training is just as effective as burning fat as cardio it is just because the metabolic resting rate goes up, for hours after a resistance workout.
    Always learning and always improving. Fitness has progressed to being my life and I pay attention and acknowledge every word. Certified trainer at the end of august but doesn't mean I know everything.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. TRT INJECTIONS: 200MG every 10 days or 100MG every week?
    By bigsexy74 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 05:15 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM
  3. Full body workout 2 1/2 day per week
    By MTV in forum Bulking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 09:39 PM
  5. Five or Six Day Cutting/Ripped Workout