Tips on building shoulders for somebody with larger traps

rdg21

Awards
Of all muscle groups, i was blessed with.....traps. They're not abnormally large, but they are certainly one of my larger muscles and they make my shoulders look small and narrow. I have decently built shoulders, by no means are they maxed out, but it is one of the muscle groups i struggle with. And also, every time i hit shoulders, my traps are absolutely lit up. Matter of fact, i stopped doing shrugs and upright rows because they grow freakishly fast. In the pics, i dont have a pump and im not flexing, and as you can see, they may not seem that big to all of you, but if i wear a tank or an undershirt, people always comment on how huge they look.

I am looking for some exercises or pointers to build my shoulders (different lifts, techniques, or rep range), specifically the medial deltoid. I feel like if my medial deltoids were better build it may give me a broader and more proportionate look. Also, are there any other exercises i should avoid that could possibly be making my traps grow even more?

Well.. I cannot for the life of me get my pics to upload, but i will soon.. Until then, is there any MUST-do medial deltoid exercises, or variations of common exercises that'll target them more?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
5/3/1, first set last and rule of 50 for accessory work.

and lots of food

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Rear delts contribute a lot to shoulder width as well. You should already be pressing and doing at least 1 exercise for the medial and rear delt (lateral raises, facepulls) but I would add in some more rear delt work and maybe increase your volume if you haven't already. For me, shoulders respond well to slightly higher volume than other body parts - kind of like legs.

I usually shoot for a heavy press somewhere near a 5-8RM, then do my accessory work with lower rest periods and higher rep ranges ie 10-15 reps. Usually around 15 sets total including warm ups. That's just my strategy, but its been working.

rdg21

Awards
Rear delts contribute a lot to shoulder width as well. You should already be pressing and doing at least 1 exercise for the medial and rear delt (lateral raises, facepulls) but I would add in some more rear delt work and maybe increase your volume if you haven't already. For me, shoulders respond well to slightly higher volume than other body parts - kind of like legs.

I usually shoot for a heavy press somewhere near a 5-8RM, then do my accessory work with lower rest periods and higher rep ranges ie 10-15 reps. Usually around 15 sets total including warm ups. That's just my strategy, but its been working.

What are your go-to rear delt exercises? I usually hit the higher rep range for these types of lifts because the muscles they fall into the accessory work as opposed to shoulder press etc, which. I already hit rear delt flys and they tend to get worked on rows during back day (somewhat).. but the flys are really the only exercise i do that targets them directly

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I think the rear delts need to be trained intensely just like any other group. I increase volume for rear delts by doing more sets, not necessarily more reps per set.

I usually do a compound movement for the upper back, something like T-Bar rows to the upper chest or chest supported facepulls, for 2-4 sets of ~8, then move into a superset of some kind. Last week was machine rear delt flies followed by inverted rows with a plate on the chest. Shooting for about 16 reps total between the two movements for another 2-4 sets. I think facepulls, wide overhand grip bent rows, reverse flies, and heavy partial swings are all good for rear delts.

I'd also look at doing some snatch grip deadlifts for upper back mass in general. They're far more effective than shrugging.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I'd train them twice per week though. I hit them with shoulders and with back.

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established