Shoulder Injury

crowley23

crowley23

Awards
Just seeing if anyone has had a similar issue as mine and could maybe lend some advice. A could weeks ago, I woke up with extreme shoulder pain, the day before I had a great workout just general upper body routine, bench press was strong, lifted more than I ever have. Anyway I didn't have any pain during or after the workout however like I said I woke up with horrible pain in my shoulder the day after, seemed to be focalized in the rear delt region but was radiating into my trap and down my bicep. The pain peaks when I do any lateral raising of my arm, and just in general I have no strength in that shoulder, even now that the pain has subsided a bit when I go to try to do something involving that shoulder I just have zero power, It just feels like a noodle. today I tried to do what I could, a lot of pulling exercises and that went fine but bench was just impossible and even standing dumbbell curls were tricky as that shoulder just didn't feel sturdy at all. Incline dumbbell bench was the only thing I could really do as far as chest/shoulder is involved. I'm just frustrated as before this i was gaining strength faster than i ever have. can anybody shed some light on this?

napalm

napalm

Awards
At the least you have some impingement going on. At worst, impingement and a cervical disk. Time to go to the doctor.

<---5 shoulder surgeries.

Good luck...

nikolce

nikolce

Awards
I actually just had this for a few weeks you most likely have a frozen shoulder or you have nots in your rotator cuffs I got ten massaged everyday for 3 weeks and now I can move my shoulder again

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
rotator cuff. dont lift at all for a week and see how it feels. p

ut your hands on your ears and elbows out in front of your face, then try to touch elbows. if it hurts your shoulder, its the rotator cuff. you probly wont be able to touch, so dont force it. but if the stretch hurts, its the rotator

LivingStrongE

Awards
At the least you have some impingement going on. At worst, impingement and a cervical disk. Time to go to the doctor.

<---5 shoulder surgeries.

Good luck...
Jesus! Were you tackling a brick wall? lol I think it's maybe tie for surgery myself. My AC Joint is killing me and physical therapy didn't do much. It made it feel alot better but the pain will always linger. OP just stretch and warm up those rotators. If you cannot perform an exercise then avoid it.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had something similar to this a few years ago. I remember distinctly, since it happened on the morning I was leaving for a big vacation.
Woke up with a stabbing ice pick in my lft. shoulder blade pain. Wow, I still remember it.
As the week(s) went on the pain was just at times incredible, radiating down my triceps muscle into my elbow and eventually numbing the 2 small fingers in my hand. BPing had a huge slow drag in my left side with a great bit of weakness. When I would do single arm pressdowns, I could easily slowly do the negative with thre rt arm, but the left just had no holding power at all and would just drop to the bottom. Pulling muscles weree not effected at all. Funny!?
After some visits to my chiro and some ART sessions, (which only gave minimal and temporary relief) I fell onto a book by Dr.. John E. Sarno describing TMS and how it effects all the tissues of the body with a blood supply. (ie: nerve, tendon, ligament and muscle) I started to apply these strategies and within a week or so, my pain and numbness was 80%+ gone. The weakness/numbing took another week maybe, but soon after, it was all gone, as mysteriously as it showed up.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I have something very similar to what you are talking about. Though what I have has been diagnosed as a shoulder impingement. i see a chiro and physical therapist regularly. Would have been fixed by now if I stopped lifting, but its contest season and I cant stop. But that would be my recommendation is see a chiro and physical therapist.

Until then, try to do exercises that will warm up your lower lats like cable kayak rows with light weight, and if your shoulder can handle it some cable rope face pulls. Start high like forehead and move down to sternum. But ONLY if your shoulder can handle it.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just seeing if anyone has had a similar issue as mine and could maybe lend some advice. A could weeks ago, I woke up with extreme shoulder pain, the day before I had a great workout just general upper body routine, bench press was strong, lifted more than I ever have. Anyway I didn't have any pain during or after the workout however like I said I woke up with horrible pain in my shoulder the day after, seemed to be focalized in the rear delt region but was radiating into my trap and down my bicep. The pain peaks when I do any lateral raising of my arm, and just in general I have no strength in that shoulder, even now that the pain has subsided a bit when I go to try to do something involving that shoulder I just have zero power, It just feels like a noodle. today I tried to do what I could, a lot of pulling exercises and that went fine but bench was just impossible and even standing dumbbell curls were tricky as that shoulder just didn't feel sturdy at all. Incline dumbbell bench was the only thing I could really do as far as chest/shoulder is involved. I'm just frustrated as before this i was gaining strength faster than i ever have. can anybody shed some light on this?
I'd suggest cease all weight training immediately and focus on spending a solid half an hour daily on light shoulder + upper back + RC rehab exercises.

I have a similiar problem,my chiro diagnosed it a shoulder impingement.

The key to complete recovery is doing all the right rehab work and following the R.I.C.E. protocol,fully.

Of course,playing the careless fool,I did not do any of this,....ntil it was much too late i.e. 5+ years following the injury.

If you act quickly,you will be at 100% very soon.

My left shoulder is visibly sloped and as such,my left arm is considerably weaker than my right arm.Now my shoulder hurts every day and pops like a box of Rice Krispies at every turn.

Do not be concerned with muscle loss,at all.

Although,using a 19-Nor-DHEA supplement like MAX Bulk should allow for no drop in LBM,if you take a month or even more off.

See the thread below for more on this:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/andro-factory/233548-max-bulk-powers.html

I'd follow up a cycle on this with D-Pol and low dose clomid,if you choose to use pro-hormones to help retain muscle and hasten recovery time.

Avoid A.I.'s,or supplements that lower cortisol,like the plague.

crowley23

crowley23

Awards
wow im impressed with all the feedback, definitely a good crowd in this forum. I guess Ill do my best to lay off the heavy lifting and stick to light rehab work on the shoulder until this passes which I pray will be soon cause im dying a little each day that I cant lift heavy like I want haha I guess I could take this time to get my legs where they need to be anyway because they are sub par at best lol lastly, should I finish out my cycle or is it a waste since Im currently not capable of training at full capacity? Again thanks for all the feedback guys...

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wow im impressed with all the feedback, definitely a good crowd in this forum. I guess Ill do my best to lay off the heavy lifting and stick to light rehab work on the shoulder until this passes which I pray will be soon cause im dying a little each day that I cant lift heavy like I want haha I guess I could take this time to get my legs where they need to be anyway because they are sub par at best lol lastly, should I finish out my cycle or is it a waste since Im currently not capable of training at full capacity? Again thanks for all the feedback guys...
Engage your lower lats with rows, do internal/external cable rotations, push-ups, sleeper stretches. Avoid heavy overhead presses unless on a machine with guided movement. The big thing is retraction work to pull the shoulders in line. No shrugs. You can still lift heavy; just be smart. Bench presses as long as elbows don't break parallel, which might seem like a waste bc you won't get the bar to your chest.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry,but this is poorly constructed advice.
My therapist must have lied to me and my recovery was just a dream

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My therapist must have lied to me and my recovery was just a dream
I would not say that.

Your n=1 feedback,while it has merit,should not be taken at more than face value.Shoulder injuries can be severe and can last for life,even if they seem as though they are just nagging pains at first.I'm sure that you know this.

Your specific injury and results are not readily transferable to the original poster,just as much as my injury and results are not.

It isn't cautious to suggest anything other than rehab work and R.I.C.E.

When an athlete may be aggravating an injury via bench pressing and so on instead of advancing to full recovery through rehab,the risk/benefit ratio seems pretty damn transparent to me.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would not say that.

Your n=1 feedback,while it has merit,should not be taken at more than face value.Shoulder injuries can be severe and can last for life,even if they seem as though they are just nagging pains at first.I'm sure that you know this.

Your specific injury and results are not readily transferable to the original poster,jut as much as my injury and results are not.

It isn't cautious to suggest anything other than rehab work and R.I.C.E.
I was recommending rehab work.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well,you suggested rehab work and also said heavy lifting,benching and push ups were ok.

Even benching carefully as you suggested,can place undue strain on the shoulders.Push ups also should not be done for this reason.

Rowing may be ok,as this would help offset muscular imbalances but really,this should be saved for regular training after rehab is done.

Why take chances.That's my point.

Taking some time off ilsn't going to cause him to shrivel away.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used push-ups to strengthen the rear deltoids. If done on a BoSu ball especially, they can aid in stability. I'm just offering what worked for me, and its aided my shoulder subluxations that had been paining me with sharp pains and numbness for 17 years.

crowley23

crowley23

Awards
Update. wow cant believe this has been nearly a year ago, anyway, it wasn't until about 4 months that I was finally accurately diagnosed thanks to a MRI. Turns out I had been a victim of parsonage turner syndrome, a rare condition (1 in 100,00 - just my luck) in which your immune system attacks your brachial plexus causing neuritis which in turn causes extreme dystrophy of the rotator cuff muscles and in some cases other muscles, deltoids, biceps ect. Although pretty debilitating initially, I have been making sloooow progress and feel as though I am at about 80% currently. full recovery has been known to take 1-2 years but I feel as though I should be 100% within the next couple months which will have made the whole recovery process about 14 months. anyway, just thought id share.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Sounds like thoracic outlet syndrome. Could be rooted in rotator cuff, as inhibition will up regulate the lats and teres major, trapping the axillary nerve (supply to the shoulder!) this is rare but it does happen. Malfunction is subscapularis is main reason, and you need to train it.

Because it's also radiating to your neck and biceps, I'm betting you have problems with pec minor and scalene tightness too.

Edit: I just read your update, and it's interesting to see that this actually had a diagnosis. I've only heard about this 2-3 times and one of them was a client of mine. Happy to hear you're recovering.