Gunslingin' and Bulkin' Up

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
August 5, 2013
I have been bulking for approx 5 weeks now.
My strength is just about where I used to be.

Stats:
Bench- 265
Squat-335
Dead -425
I am weighing in at 194.5 and at 6'1"... So I feel its tough to fill out my skeleton with enough mass to look huge!
I had a pretty great stack of supps, followed by a good lifting program and feeding non stop. But I do Track my cals, and Macros. I also note all my workouts in a journal.

Supps I have taken the past month

Wake Up- Arginine, Creatine
Pre workout- M Stak, (red pill excluded) C4, or caffeine
Post- Hydrolyzed whey, 30-90 carbs (fruit or oats) Creatine
Pre Bed Time- Arginine, BCAAs, Multi Vit, Cellucor's ZMA

Workouts-
Day 1- Chest and Light Back and Abs
Day 2- Legs and Light Shoulders and Calves
Day 3- Off/ Crossfit and Olympic Lifts
Day 4- Back and Light Chest and Abs
Day 5- Shoulders and Light Legs and Calves
Day 6- Off/ Crossfit and Olympic Lifts
Day 7- Repeat

Now That I am 5 weeks in, I have deloaded for a week and Had a lot of rest and started a little lighter than where I left off. I have also replaced the Mstak with Bulk-Up by AndroFactory. Which is to be taken in the AM on an empty stomach. I will be running Bulk-Up for 6 weeks, followed by Cellucor's ZMA and Nolvadex.

Nutrition- I have been for the past 6 weeks running a clean bulk. I consume anywhere from 3200-3400 calories. I have gained approx 1 lb per week with this method.
I eat at a Navy Chow Hall for the most part, and sort of live a college students life. Although, I have many great options for healthy foods, and stuffing my face. I track, nearly everyday on my account on the MyFitnessPal App. I am sure I can post some screenshots, I'll even post some pics of my food adventures!

Pics, Pics, Pics to Come!!!

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
Today was day 1 of the Bulk up dose.
It was also my first day back after a de-load week.

I did great on the flat bench. I was just really motivated and well fueled.
Supersets with Back exercises at the end really pumped me up.

Cant wait for the PH to start kicking in!
Damnit! I cant add photos yet!

napalm

napalm

Awards
CF and oly lifts on off days? I don't see much time for recovery there homie...

napalm

napalm

Awards
Lord, and shoulders 3x a week? Might as well make an appt with the ortho guy now.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now that we've tore apart his template... LOL

But seriously that's a ton of work, you do a lot of volume?

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
No I run a weightlifting class in place of PT :) so I dont have to do that crap! But I make sure my cardio stays up to par.

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
4x (2 direct, 2 chest)
Now that we've tore apart his template... LOL

But seriously that's a ton of work, you do a lot of volume?
Lord, and shoulders 3x a week? Might as well make an appt with the ortho guy now.
Ok Ok ya I understand where you guys are coming from. I guess I shouldve explained further.
I have done it this way for the past 6 weeks, with decent gains... I wasnt really hitting shoulders solo twice per week...
it was like this.
1. Heavy Chest (full)/ Light back (2-3 pumping exercises)
2. Heavy Legs
3. Off/ Practice and learn Olympic moves ( so I can apply to crossfit when I get to cutting) (more screwing around than heavy work)
4. Heavy Back (deads n such)/ higher rep chest n flyes
5. Heavy shoulders
6. Off/ cardio or CF practice

Now I plan to add a little more work.. and I guess when I mentioned shoulders on leg day, its mainly traps. I am lacking there badly. And my chest workouts is 1 full routine and the 2nd is higher rep pumping only.

And as for yesterday.. Leg Day
BB Back squat- 275x 2x5 and 295 2x3 followed by 225 2x10 all ATG!
Leg ext- 4x8
(superset)
Lying Leg Curl 4x8
Standing calf raise- reps- 10, 8, 6, 15-20

felt like I got off a high horse walking out of the gym!!! today... I hurt :)
(no energy for shoulders btw)

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
Today was motivating. Felt stiff when I woke up and had a headache... but once I got to the gym a loosened up on the foam roller followed by some stretching I felt great.

I practiced my power snatches and double unders
WOD
7 sets of:
7 power snatches
20ish double unders (working on that rhythm tho)

then I worked some supersets of abs for a little more cardio effect.

Breakfast:
6 egg white 3 yolks on veggies
1 cup oatmeal
blueberry greek yogurt
1/2 grapefruit

Post W/O meal
8oz chocolate milk
scoop choco hydro whey
honey greek yogurt
1/4 c oats

lunch:
Mediterranean flat bread with like 8 hefty slices sandwich meat
Chicken spinach broccoli salad with OO and vinegar
PBnJ sammich

Dinner:
bbq ckn sandwich
egg salad sandwich (eggs onions cottage cheese! soo good)
broccoli and cheddar

later tonight... probably a Chocolate almond butter shake ... depending on my cal count that I am about to look into for the day. I gotta check macros too.

Update:
Totals 2,811 307 89 208 1,709 75
Your Daily Goal 3,030 417 101 114 2,500 61
Remaining 219 110 12 -94 791 -14
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
any suggestions!

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
No followers... NBD, guess I dont know my bod...

Anyways!
Got a little motivation from Arnold yesterday for todays back workout. I added in high rep pullups in the middle.

Deads- after warmup: 315-5 335-5 365-3 375-3 225-10
DB row- 80/8 80/8 85/6 85/6
Max Pullups in 5 sets (mad pump)
Tbar row and seratus cable pullover superset 2x8-10

hit my carbs for the day already. looks like lots of broccoli and a bunless PB burger for din tonight!

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
Day 5 on Bulk Up
Rest Day
Feeling great!
Recovery time seems a bit quicker.
I did shoulders yesterday morning, 5x5 at 135 and worked up my push jerk to a 205.
did some laterals n such to finish em off.
Later I felt great so I hit some heavy front squats followed by back squats and box jumps for a little metabolic work.
Felt really awesome later in the day. Gym High!
Not really hurtin today!

Eatin' big liftin big, waiting for results. weighing in tomorrow. But I do already know ive gained a couple pounds. creatine loading and such.

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
Today marks week #2 of Bulk Up and mass calorie consumption followed by a great routine...

also kind of IRONIC- sooo many threads about bulking on certain supplements or whatever seem to go south right smack dab in the center. Big excuses being, "I got real sick, got the flu, or work changed my schedule and cant make it to the gym for a while, orrr I just changed my workouts up" kind-a-****!

I just got order to another base for a week, well off the base, in a hotel. 'course Im gonna find a gym! Turns out theres one right next door! $5 to get in... but no big deal. Looks like a solid gym with a lot of equipment.

Today's leg day. And I sit here waiting to see if the gym partner will be going. Being that its late, He might call it a rest day. So I rest! Big Deal right!? I'll find myself hobbling outta the gym tomorrow then! otherwise Ill let y'all know if we hit it tonight.

BTW- my weeking cals were quite close to where they should be 3300ish and my weight was 199 yesterday. I know this week will be a little tougher not having the access to my normal salad bar and healthy healthy options at the chow hall, but I will prevail! Ill add up the numbers. Maybe macros will be a bit off but all in all its cals in vs cals out!

Chest/light back yesterday-
BB Bench 215 5x5- going up next week!
Followed with higher rep sets of flyes
and some pullups and tbar rows in the 10-12 range

Chest is sore, back... nothing.

Later

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How's your bulk been going?

T

TonyGunsling

Awards
Thanks for checking up on me! I quit updating this post because I wasnt getting responses I expected... I mean ya I was doing a lot. but some of it wasnt as routine as straight heavy lifting.
My bulk itself got a little out of hand.. gained too much weight too fast! and I wanna say that the PH was NOT the reason. I did not gain great clean mass. I did not experience great strength gains.. all just normal. right now I am trying to figure out how to drop a few pounds... not that I want to during a bulk... but being military and having weight cuts to make. or even do the amount of running I have down lately.
Im 205ish and feel I shouldnt be more than 200 right now.. I also got back on the MadCow 5x5 program and plan to run that for a long tiime! I havent reached goals that I have wanted to... I need to figure my body out..

also right now I am taking daa and cellucor ZMA (trib, gaba, melatonin, zma) for pct and creatine, bcaas n protein.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think more people should take zma, its a highly underutilized supplement. Looking back at your routine and I gotta say I like it. I rarely take a day off myself. So overall how much weight did you gain on your bulk? What were your overall feelings of Bulk Up?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Workout Logs 5
mattikus Nutrition / Health 47
V Pics 14
B Nutrition / Health 4