Workouts after shouder surgery? - AnabolicMinds.com

Workouts after shouder surgery?

Workouts after shouder surgery?

Hey guys im new to the website and i need some help. I went under the knife for a major labrum surgery requiring multiple anchors in my right shoulder. Im a baseball player and i need to quickly get my upper body strength back asap but also safely. Does anybody have any ideas of a program that would progressively work my way back into things before i start tearing up my shoulder during military press. Let me know guys id highly appreciate the feedback!

Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Work your way up little by little brother. I destroyed my Acromioclavicular joint (AC Joint) and it's been years that I have to live with it. I went to physical therapy and he basically gave my a Thera Band (Exercise Band) and had me warm up my rotator Cuff with this and also instructed me to do delt raises with light weight (3-5lbs dumbbell) while lying face down on an incline bench. Really helps alot! Just make sure to warm up every time. Avoid over head presses and if any exercise starts to bother you, then stop right there and then. Make sure you follow your doc's advice and hope you heal well brother.

I appreciate it ill keep doing the PT and just continue doing leg press And extension until I'm cleared for upper body my right arm is like a twig now and my left arm is a little smaller than normal but it's funny looking haha. I appreciate it still looking for more advice if anyone wants to contribute!
    •   

Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by haybarcheezy View Post
    Hey guys im new to the website and i need some help. I went under the knife for a major labrum surgery requiring multiple anchors in my right shoulder. Im a baseball player and i need to quickly get my upper body strength back asap but also safely. Does anybody have any ideas of a program that would progressively work my way back into things before i start tearing up my shoulder during military press. Let me know guys id highly appreciate the feedback!
    I don't do presses behind the head anymore cause of my shoulder surgery and on the rare occasion (10x a year ) that I do, it's usually very light

After my surgery I followed the doc instructions on band work and did the physical therapy

I felt that I should have stretched my lat a little more because my ROM still isn't where it used to be

Throw a rope over a pull up bar , sit in a chair, grab each end with each hand, slowly pull with the "good hand" to stretch the other and when your strong enough, use the "bad" hand to pull down with a little resistance from the "good" hand

The aforementioned bench work (side raises and rotator cuff strengthening) are great ideas

Stand in a doorway and press against the wall with the back of your hand and then with your palm (keep the elbow tight at a 90 angle against your body)

I found that the pressing (chest and shoulder presses) took a while to come back to full strength but the lateral and front raise came back quickly

Start light with slow and controlled reps
    It's a good time to retrain your "mind muscle connection" and practice good form so when you start lifting heavier you will be less prone to injury

Google "physical therapy exercises for labrum repair"

Good luck! Take it slow!
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.

I appreciate it ill keep doing the PT and just continue doing leg press And extension until I'm cleared for upper body my right arm is like a twig now and my left arm is a little smaller than normal but it's funny looking haha. I appreciate it still looking for more advice if anyone wants to contribute!
    Almost forgot!

Think there's research that shows taking creatine while immobilized prevented muscle wasting (not sure if you are still using a sling)
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html

Awesome I got out of my sling officially today! Thanks for the pulley stretches. Do you think creating would be a waste in just preserving the little muscle I could get back in a short amount of time in the gym... Anyways I appreciate it!!
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.

Awesome I got out of my sling officially today! Thanks for the pulley stretches. Do you think creating would be a waste in just preserving the little muscle I could get back in a short amount of time in the gym... Anyways I appreciate it!!
    For the price of creatine mono at 5g a day I would do it!
    Hit those bands and remember to focus on form, you can do a lot for yourself these next few weeks and set up a solid cns for future lifts or you can go to fast and be overconfident and set yourself up for further injury (which I might have done personally!)
    Felt that the recovery actually came faster than expected so I did more than expected, but being over zealous could set you back!

Take it easy on the press movements and work on rotator cuff and stability muscles to keep that shoulder in place now that everything is loose from the dislocations/cause of surgery
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I just had slap tear surgery a week and a half ago, got a long road ahead! I would advise you (as I have advised myself lol) to take it slow. Youll get back to where you were in time, if you push it too much you could injure yourself again and take even longer to get back. Also I already am sick of the sling and i have a month left, FML
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    I just had slap tear surgery a week and a half ago, got a long road ahead! I would advise you (as I have advised myself lol) to take it slow. Youll get back to where you were in time, if you push it too much you could injure yourself again and take even longer to get back. Also I already am sick of the sling and i have a month left, FML
    I've had 2 slap tears, and just cancelled my 3rd because of a meet. they take longer to heal than rc tears. You won't need the sling for another month. I ditched mine and was just careful after 2 weeks. You should be spending time out of the sling already doing circles...
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I've been out of the sling for some PT stuff for sure. Definitely don't have enough range for circles yet. I'll get there
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    I've been out of the sling for some PT stuff for sure. Definitely don't have enough range for circles yet. I'll get there
    I meant hanging circles, bend at the waist and just do small circles w your arm hanging down.I was doing them the day after surgery...
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    I meant hanging circles, bend at the waist and just do small circles w your arm hanging down.I was doing them the day after surgery...
    Whoops, my bad! I'm definitely doing those. My PT was impressed with my progress a week after so I hope to continue that trend.
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.

good job.. keep it up

even with doing all the ROM exercises the PT gave me my ROM was like 20-30% less in my injured arm after going through PT!
    keep up the stretches (slowly), know your limits

don't worry about "strength training" too much yet, youll be back training in no time, but first ya gotta heal up!

Similar Forum Threads

1. How long did you start lifting after shoulder surgery
    By Pumps in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 01:43 PM
  2. After Gyno Surgery?
    By NeverNuff in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM
  3. Cycle after back surgery
    By gpman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6