Thoughts on 4 day upper/lower split

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
Just want to know if any if you have used a 4 day upper/lower split. Reading mixed opinions on them.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hit all body parts 3x a week doing 5x5 and my body recovers just fine.

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
I hit all body parts 3x a week doing 5x5 and my body recovers just fine.
I was doing a 5 day split with 2 chest days and a shoulders only but got rid of a chest day and added shoulders somewhere else. Left me with a 3 day split which for my isnt enough, kind of a gym rat so like bn their. I found a workout called the P.H.U.L workout but want to make sure it covers all areas. Was told earlier by someone on here that by neglecting my rear delts as i was in my previous split that i could get upper crossed syndrome?

gymrat727

gymrat727

Awards
I like my 3 day split. Push pull legs just because its a 3 day split does not mean you can't work out 5 times a week take a day off when you feel like your body needs it look them up on google.

Personally I work out on Monday do my push then the next day do pull then legs the next maybe a day off them I'm hitting push and either pull or legs the following days. It's a good way to bring up lagging parts

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
I like my 3 day split. Push pull legs just because its a 3 day split does not mean you can't work out 5 times a week take a day off when you feel like your body needs it look them up on google.

Personally I work out on Monday do my push then the next day do pull then legs the next maybe a day off them I'm hitting push and either pull or legs the following days. It's a good way to bring up lagging parts
Ok makes sense so your just repeating and taking days off when you feel they are needed. Im thinkin of trying thus P.H.U.L workout cause its set up for two days of strength then two days of hypertrophy. Purpose is to maximize your weight used on hypertrophy days

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

gymrat727

gymrat727

Awards
That's pretty much what I do my first workout ex. Monday and Tuesday I work on heavy lifts and the second go around that week I work on hypertrophy I have noticed a great improvement in my training doing this

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have used 3 and 4 day splits (in various ways) for absolute years now and nothing has really produced better. That all said, the focus is always on using the 5-7 big compound exercises and always trying to add weight/reps to the bar, keeping form and reps/sets in a good area.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Ok makes sense so your just repeating and taking days off when you feel they are needed. Im thinkin of trying thus P.H.U.L workout cause its set up for two days of strength then two days of hypertrophy. Purpose is to maximize your weight used on hypertrophy days

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout
I was just about to recommend this!

He can also try PHAT, which is a 5 day variation of PHUL

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you can use a 1 day or a 14 day split. as long as the volume and intensity is in line with your goals and work capacity then it just doesnt matter. what is more important that you are actually doing the workout.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, PHAT is a great 4 day split, I definitely dug it!

johnnybeegood

Banned
Awards
i am doing PHUL now, and i really like it. i believe that anything will work as long as you are consistent and focus on progression. i like to mix it up every 6 months tho to keep it fresh and interesting.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
ahem. 5/3/1 = kind of an upper/lower 4 day strength routine you gots

squat day
ohp/bb row day
deadlift day
bench day

wabam?

and phat is a 5 day split. i used to like it till i realized its kind of stupid. seems like it was created for mens fitness magazine woth all that stupidly high volume