Best sprinting intervals for fat loss

dbrodrive1211

Awards
I've seen articles that say 8 seconds sprinting 10 off to 20-30 seconds sprinting 10 off and 20-30 seconds 60 off all for about ten sets or 20 minutes so I was curious which is best

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've seen articles that say 8 seconds sprinting 10 off to 20-30 seconds sprinting 10 off and 20-30 seconds 60 off all for about ten sets or 20 minutes so I was curious which is best
I dont think there is really a "best" option, just a more efficient option. What i have gathered is anywhere from 10-30 seconds of sprinting fillowed by a 2-4 minute rest/walking. Repeat that anywhere from 4-10 times.

LivingStrongE

Awards
I usually do 30 secs sprints followed by a 2 min walk. It really just depends on you. Just expirement with the times to see what works well for you.

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
Have you heard of this new thing called yawging? Haha... I think the best thing for fat loss is cardio for 30-45 minutes. Don't worry about your pace or how far you go. Just try to keep it up for at least 30 minutes.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Have you heard of this new thing called yawging? Haha... I think the best thing for fat loss is cardio for 30-45 minutes. Don't worry about your pace or how far you go. Just try to keep it up for at least 30 minutes.
...you need to do a little research my friend. I'm pretty sure your "yawging" isn't the best/most efficient way to burn fat.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's all intensity dependent.

If you are sprinting at max speed you can probably only maintain it for about 15 seconds. Maybe 20-24 sec if you are Olympic/DI caliber. And if you are sprinting at max speed, you will require a much longer rest period (4-8 min for full creatine phosphate repletion) before you can repeat the attempt. And you will probably only be able to perform about 5-10 of these. This type of work requires a high CNS output, longer recovery (following the session), and has a lower metabolic demand. It's probably appropriate for people who have difficulty gaining muscle or lose fat and muscle easily during "cutting".

On the other hand, you can run at 85% speed for 30-60 seconds, and probably repeat that with only 1-2 minutes of rest. You could also do a much higher volume of work (5-10 min of work vs. 1.5-3 min). The CNS output will be lower, the amount of recovery time will be less, and the metabolic demand will be greater. If you have difficulty decreasing body fat then this might be more appropriate for you.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Speaking in terms of sprinting as an adjuct to your weightlifting routine, not in terms of sprint training, a good way to organize your program is to think of total time spent sprinting. So, if I were to do a session where I do a 30 sec sprint, rest, then a 20 sec, rest, and a 10 sec, rest, and repeat for another round, that's a total of 2 minutes spent sprinting. I could have also just done 12 sprints at 10 seconds a sprint. You can use that total, divide it up however you want (personally I keep mine at around 30 seconds or shorter), and work to increase that over time. So the first two or 3 weeks might be spent on just developing a base of conditioning, so you just use 2 working minutes, and then when you've adapted to this you increase your total work time to 3 minutes, etc. For rest, that's again up to you and depending on your goals, but don't sell yourself short on it.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like that. If you are sprinting on ground (i.e.: a track, not a treadmill) factor in that the start and first few steps of acceleration has a high CNS output and will lead to increased fatigue if you explode off the line. The better your technique and more trained you are, the greater the fatigue rate on the starts. Just something to keep in mind if you are trying to compare 6 x 30sec of sprinting vs. 18 x 10 sec of sprinting.