I'd Like Some Advice...

HIM

HIM

Awards
Hello all I'm new to the forum and would like some advice from those more experienced than myself. Sorry if this wrong section for this.

For the majority of my life I've played football and boxed. Unfortunately at this age I cant really play football, at least full contact, and with a 5 year old I dont really have time to train like I'd like to for boxing. This has put me in a rut and has taken its toll on my fitness as Ive gone from a solid 170 of muscle to 195. A friend of mine has given me a great deal on a bench/squat rack so I've decided enough is enough and its time for me to get back on track. I realize theres more options than bench press and squats, I do a lot of swimming and treading water, but this is the routine I've grown used to and to be honest, before I let go I was getting great results. So this is where I need some advice.... Is there any workout routines, combos, exercises, etc, that would be good to get back into my football/boxing build? With that, where should I start my weight as far as sets go in comparison to my max? At the moment I've just been taking an isolated whey protein and doing different variations of push ups and bridges. I'd like some advice on a good supplement regimen as well but I think that question is better suited for a different part of the forum.

If theres any important info I left out let me know please. Thanks in advance!!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With just a bench and squat rack you could do a barbell based workout. Something like Starting Strength or Mad Cow. Probably even Wendler's 5/3/1.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Stronglifts 5x5, madcow. Plenty of options.

Just get that rack and invest in a heavy bag.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^^ agree with above. I suggest dialing in your diet as well.

HIM

HIM

Awards
With just a bench and squat rack you could do a barbell based workout. Something like Starting Strength or Mad Cow. Probably even Wendler's 5/3/1.
Stronglifts 5x5, madcow. Plenty of options.

Just get that rack and invest in a heavy bag.
Thanks guys are these routines posted up here on the forum somewhere?

I wish I could get a heavy bag, 6-8 rounds a day on a 250lb does amazing things. But as much as I loved the shape my boxing workout had me in I don't have room for anything but the bench, rack, and speed bag.

P

pmdied

Awards
Sports Authority sells a water-filled base/heavy bag for about $100. Can also be filled with sand. Takes up about 2 square feet.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Speed bag is fine.

Just google either "Starting Strength" or "Stronglifts 5x5". Should find all you need. If you haven't lifted in a long time, they will both do wonders.

HIM

HIM

Awards
After looking at the Stronglifts 5x5 that looks perfect for getting back into the swing of things. Does he really send you copies of everything if you give him your email?
Also how should I go about finding the right amount of weight to start at?