Hammy work sldl or ham curls

Leg day generally 5-10 reps per set then some singles for front squats

Snatches I do a bunch of sets of 2. Still working flexability

Squat cleans I do 5x5

Tuesday Chest
Flat bench
Incline bench
Rowing machine 15-20 min

Chest I hit 5 sets between 5-12 reps on first exercise then 4 on the next at the same rep range

Wednesday back and shoulders
Lat pull down/pull-ups
Oh press
Rear delt flies

Some times ill switch off between lats and Mid back. Super setting pulls own/pull-ups with oh press (machine or standing) for 10x10 and call it a day

Thursday off

Friday back
Rows
Face pulls
Deadlifts

Deadlifts I do 3 sets 10 then a couple of 5 then some singles.

Rows I do 10 reps for how ever many sets I do of deads

I'm not trying to be a body builder just trying to maintain athletic look and flexability while not doing CrossFit

Also. Herniated discs in back and neck so back squats are out.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I want critique to better my training

For every push I pull. Trying to balance te workouts accordingly to be most beneficial

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh more often then not I toss in more leg work as well

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would adjust monday to do your snatches and squat cleans prior to the squats.

I would also suggest more core work, such as planks, pallof presses, etc.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would adjust monday to do your snatches and squat cleans prior to the squats.

I would also suggest more core work, such as planks, pallof presses, etc.
Sounds good. Thank you!

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is the best way to increase strict oh press strength. I'm stuck.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tough one. Where is your sticking point? You can always work from the sticking point. For me its around the lower lip to the an inch over the head. Driving off my chest is not a problem, nor is locking out.

Also, a lot of times plateaus occur when the primary movers (delts, triceps) surpass the core and stabilizers. So perhaps some extra attention into core, stabilizers and fixators (lower traps, serratus) may help.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tough one. Where is your sticking point? You can always work from the sticking point. For me its around the lower lip to the an inch over the head. Driving off my chest is not a problem, nor is locking out.

Also, a lot of times plateaus occur when the primary movers (delts, triceps) surpass the core and stabilizers. So perhaps some extra attention into core, stabilizers and fixators (lower traps, serratus) may help.
From chest to chin is a sticking point

I added more core work sit ups crunches and side bends but no planks yet.

I can add lower trap work. Do you recommend a specific exercise I can do reverse shrugs on the dip machine like you have mentioned before

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like scaptions and prone snow angels. Don't neglect the serratus anterior, as it plays a major role in scapula rotation and over head pressing.

Band resisted scaptions: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/07/band-resisted-scaptions/
Snow angles: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/04/prone-scapular-snow-angels/
Warm up for bench press...a lot of the activation exercises you can do for over head press though, there's a good amount of SA exercises: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/31/the-ideal-bench-press-warmup/

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like scaptions and prone snow angels. Don't neglect the serratus anterior, as it plays a major role in scapula rotation and over head pressing.

Band resisted scaptions: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/07/band-resisted-scaptions/
Snow angles: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/04/prone-scapular-snow-angels/
Warm up for bench press...a lot of the activation exercises you can do for over head press though, there's a good amount of SA exercises: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/31/the-ideal-bench-press-warmup/
These are great. Ill add them in. Do I do it on shoulder day before starting my lifts or on a separate day

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is the best way to increase strict oh press strength. I'm stuck.
Well an oly guy I am familiar with (I do not know him personally) says one can press a lot thru the week, and can build up the work capacity that way. Even hitting a few singles everyday.
Also using set ups like ladders, (3,2,1,2,3,2,1...etc.) this worked good for me and I respond to lower reps with lots of sets say...
ie: 70%-75% 5,4,3,2,1,5,4,3,2,1=10 sets with a total of 30 reps (Start here well within your means, so these first few weeks feel like you could do quite a bit more)
2 days later bump to 75%-77% do the same set up
Maybe a 3rd day with lighter 4x5

The next week, bump to say 77% then 2nd day 80% then maybe the lighter day and so on.

As the weight gets heavier, (percentages going up) it will get to where your ladders might only be going... 3,2,1,2,3,2,1,...or even 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,1,1,1 and you may only want to use a one time jump, say 85%/90%... those weeks and just try and add a few ladder reps on the 2nd day.
Try to drag it out over 6-8 weeks maybe without straining too hard to get the reps, as you want to sloooooooowly adapt to more and more work and thus power.
I also know a few guys who have used light bands as they press out, adding some accommodating resistance to the top.

Another guy I knew used to do like 4 singles (start light and add weight) 3 days per week. Back off the next week, but not as far as the first week, then keep upping the weight slowly.
Lower and single reps will most likely do the most for strength.

Rack lockouts (say 10" over head) can work too but be careful not to try everything at once, because you will most likely burn out faster and you want to try and keep the progression going to gain mass and power along with pressing strength.
Vary the reps up an down by 1 say, but try not to get to a point where you cannot get the rep, since you want to keep gaining momentum as the percentages and thus the weight goes up.
It might even be good to use the push press with a slow return (almost like a negative) to add some intensity and weight towards the end of the cycle. Overloading the shoulders that way, can also add power to just a good strict pressout.

If you do some searches on some sites, you can find quite a bit of good free info on this lift and it variations.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Will try this. Right now my strict oh press is 135 for 5.

It used to be 175 or 180 for 1 but I was to lbs heavier.

Now it's 155 for a hard single

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now it's 155 for a hard single
Well, I might suggest starting the percents from a modest #140-#145 maybe. (So it is not a grinder rep)
Then say #85-#95 (65%-70% say) pounds and work it up slowly over the weeks. You might be surprised.
You do not want it to be very hard a few weeks in.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I might suggest starting the percents from a modest #140-#145 maybe. (So it is not a grinder rep)
Then say #85-#95 (65%-70% say) pounds and work it up slowly over the weeks. You might be surprised.
You do not want it to be very hard a few weeks in.
Ill try that.

What about volume training at 60% of the weight for 10x10 and increasing 5 lbs every other week. Then skipping a week and doing my singles

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ill try that.

What about volume training at 60% of the weight for 10x10 and increasing 5 lbs every other week. Then skipping a week and doing my singles

I have no idea on that really. My shoulders always seemed to respond better to lower reps and building up the weight/intensity.
If you have used that set up before and it worked for you, run and and see how it goes!?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm up to try anything really. Today I did a full shoulder workout and triceps to build strength in other areas

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
These are great. Ill add them in. Do I do it on shoulder day before starting my lifts or on a separate day
I would select 1 lower trap, 1 serratus anterior, and 1 mid trap/rhomboid movement and do them prior to each workout you do.