Losing interest

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
This is probably more of a vent than anything else... I've had to travel in March and April for work, and since then I'm just not having any desire to be in the gym. I'm forcing myself to go 2 to 3 times a week and hardly do anything but the big lifts.

What bugs me most about is is that I lost 10lbs, and gained 1/3" on my arms even though I hardly train them anymore. I am thinking my body needed the rest and spreading out my workouts due to my age and recovery. One would think that is a great motivator, but it is not. I'm about to quit going if I can't get myself motivated again. Last time that happened I ended up leaving the gym for 3 years.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
It happens man! You just have to find something ain't going that challenges you. What kind of programs have you tried? Maybe you just need a change of pace.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fadi, what's your age? I'm 53 and there are times I find it very hard to hit the training. A change of routine maybe? Finding a training partner? I also look around at all the fat and decrepit people out there that are one step away from a heart attack, I then find the will to keep training!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I also look around at all the fat and decrepit people out there that are one step away from a heart attack, I then find the will to keep training!
do this. toot your ego horn a little and compare yourself to other people your age that are cok polishers

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It does happen, but a few things to do...
Get a partner or 2 and work a schedule. You can all keep each other motivated.
Chase someone's PR's and or gains.
Set smaller goals to reach monthly.
Back off when you are getting stale and just re up when you want to go fo more.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
It usually happens to me in the summer and I just went almost a full month only hittin the gym once maybe twice a week. This week was my first week back and i had lost 13lbs and gained a couple points in BF during my hiatus. For me it's usually a combination of things that cause me to lose focus and say fuk it for awhile. This time my body was just beat from lifting with freshly "healed" injuries I acquired last fall. Motivation just died as it tends to do mid summer alot due to the heat. I hate lifting in hot humid weather it drags me down and honestly summertime makes me wanna chill, drink beers with friends and be more social ( which I'm borderline anti social mist the time). Although i don't go about the break in a healthy way physically (although i still eat healthy just let myself cheat more)it always seems to reset my motivation and focus when I get back In the gym and my intensity increases, so mentally its just a release I need once In a while. I also bounce right back quickly so usually within a couple weeks of intense training after a month long "vacation" I'm back to where I left off. My metabolism kicks back in full steam and muscle memory is a great thing. It's like taking 2 steps forward , 1 step back and so on. I'm not shooting for a bodybuilding career or to get on stage , I just really enjoy building muscle lifting weight. BUT, there's other things I enjoy too that I deprive myself from during my months of heavy training and sometimes I need to purge, so I do , but I always come back refreshed with a re-racked attitude and motivation. Don't beat yourself up over stuff like this , I know its hard not to when you see you're self seemingly withering away all your physical hard work, but sometimes your mind and soul need a break too. Just make sure when you finally hit the point where you think "I gotta get back in the gym DAMNîT!" You grab your shlt and get back to it rather then sink into a hole.

P.S. that first week back is always a bitch, chill your ego and take it light and build the weight up the next week and so on. If diet and training is on point the by the 3rd you should be pretty much back on track. That's my story at least .. Cheers and good luck

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just went almost a full month only hittin the gym once maybe twice a week.
I know a few guys that only get to the gym on a reg basis 2x per week. They kick butt when they get in there and use a simple program.
Nothing says you cannot build great strength and size using a protocol like this...

Day #1...
Squat
OHP's
Rows

Day #2...
BP's
Deads
Chins