C'mon, Chest! Why won't you just blow up!

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
I don't know why I can't get my chest to thicken. I used to train it twice a week with back. Now I train it once a week with this routine.

4 sets barbell incline 10,6,6,4 drop
3 sets DB incline 6,6,6
3 sets Incline Flies 6-8
4 sets Flat barbell 10,6,6,4 drop
3 sets Flat flies 6-8
3 sets Dips to failure
3 sets Cable crosses 6-8
3 sets Barbell pullovers 6-8

Any suggestions?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
that's overtraining to the 10th power. 3-4 exercises is enough man. ****, how long does that take you?

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
3 sets DB incline 6,6,6
3 sets Incline Flies 6-8
3 sets Flat flies 6-8
3 sets Dips to failure
3 sets Cable crosses 6-8
Your kidding right? 26 sets for chest?! Listen to Beelz, you are over training like crazy. Man what is the rest of your routine like? If its anything like this then you must weigh about 165lbs, if that. For chest you only need about 5-7 sets.

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
that's overtraining to the 10th power. 3-4 exercises is enough man. ****, how long does that take you?
Overtraining again?! It takes me about 1 hour. I sense another split/routine change. :frustrate

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
Well I'm hovering just above 170 now.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
jesus christ, 1 hour for all that. that's damn near doing cardio

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
Well any recommendations on adding some inches?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
That's too much for the chest unless your Arnold.
Some tips:
Hit the chest from every angle, decline, incline, flat then end the chest routine with a fly movement. Just don't do so many sets. Maybe 15total
Shoot for 8-12 rep range
Slow the tempo down to something like 2:2 or the like. The negative is where growth is at :thumbsup:

O

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
I don't know why I can't get my chest to thicken. I used to train it twice a week with back. Now I train it once a week with this routine.

3 sets DB incline 6,6,6
3 sets Incline Flies 6-8
3 sets Flat flies 6-8
3 sets Dips to failure
3 sets Cable crosses 6-8

Any suggestions?
add 4 sets of pec deck. jk

choose 3 or 4 of the above excercises per workout, not all of them!

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
decrease sets 4-6 reps per set HEAVY ASS WEIGHT

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Is once a week good though?
Yes, even gear and A+ genetic BBr's only do once a week. Some people even do once every 9 days.

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
If it was me, I would take two weeks off and eat clean, then start over again with a better routine.

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
Well I just started back a few weeks ago and am 1 week into a PS/PH bulk.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
EAT EAT EAT

To gain in the chest you need more calories.

I would suggest you pic 2 of those exercises and do 2 WORK sets on each one.

Actually I think you would do better with less but I really don't think you will listen to that ;)

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Actually I think you would do better with less but I really don't think you will listed to that
Bingo Crowler. Will he listen? Most don't, they think "Well Arnold trained like this so..." Again you could be drasticlly overtrained in a matter of two weeks (even with PH's). So I would take two weeks off a start again

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I know training like Ahnold doesn't work. I just want to see some damn development in my chest like I 've seen in my arms and shoulders.

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Try this then:

2 warmup sets of Bench then
Work sets:
1st set 10 reps
2nd set 8 reps
3rd set (to failure) make sure you don't get pinned. Shoot for at least 5 reps

Dips
1 set 10 reps
2nd set to failure

Done once a week.

It's a simple routine. Don't get things to complicated.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established

3 sets DB incline 6,6,6
3 sets Incline Flies 6-8
3 sets Flat flies 6-8
3 sets Dips to failure
3 sets Cable crosses 6-8

Any suggestions?
Damn, that's insane!
Here is my chest routine
After warmups.
2sets incline db's to failure
2sets bench press to failure
That is it!

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
Try this then:

Work sets:
1st set 10 reps
2nd set 8 reps

Dips
1 set 10 reps
2nd set to failure

Done once a week.

Thanks, but that's probably suitable for someone who's just starting. After reading all the responses I think I'll go:

Incline Barbell - 10(warm-up, 8, 6, 4
Incline DB - 8, 6, 4
Flat Barbell - 8, 6, 4
Dips - 15, 10 ,8
Flat flies or Pec Deck -8,6,6

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, but that's probably suitable for someone who's just starting. After reading all the responses I think I'll go:

Incline DB - 8, 6, 4
Flat Barbell - 8, 6, 4
Dips - 15, 10 ,8
do as you will bro, but that still looks like too much. first off, pick one, incline barbell or dumbbell, not both. you can switch it up every month or so, but not both at the same time. if i had to pick 3 from that list, incline dumbbell, flat barbell, and flat flies/pec deck is enough, hell, more than enough. you're probably already overtrained so cutting back isn't a bad idea.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, but that's probably suitable for someone who's just starting.
Actually it is just the opposite. The stronger and more advanced you are the less sets and less often you should workout. Someone BRAND new can actually work the entire body 3 times a week and still get results.

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Just starting, huh? Reg Park used to do routines like what I wrote. When he weighed around 240lbs natural and could bench 500lbs. In fact he was the second person to bench over 500lbs in the world, so... Plus Beelz is about what...270lbs and he wouldn't do your routine because it's too much. But you go right ahead and call me in a year and tell me how much you have grown.

K

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established

Incline DB - 8, 6, 4
Flat Barbell - 8, 6, 4
Dips - 15, 10 ,8

damn bro were you listening at all?

as beelz and others said you need to limit sets to the 5-8 range - heavy weight.

and again pick one incline exercise, not both

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
Actually it is just the opposite. The stronger and more advanced you are the less sets and less often you should workout. Someone BRAND new can actually work the entire body 3 times a week and still get results.
I see what you're saying my body used to respond very well to training parts more frequently than less frequently. I guess I'm having a hard time adapting to the advanced ways of training.

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
damn bro were you listening at all?

as beelz and others said you need to limit sets to the 5-8 range - heavy weight.

and again pick one incline exercise, not both
Yeah I gotchya one or the other probably alternated every other week.

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I see what you're saying my body used to respond very well to training parts more frequently than less frequently. I guess I'm having a hard time adapting to the advanced ways of training.

Two things. First when you were younger and just starting it's easy to gain on almost any diet and any training routine. Second is that you Are Not having trouble with advanced training methods. What the problem is that you do not have the gentics for that type of training (and your first post no one does). The problem is that you think that just because you have a year or two training under your belt you need a "advanced routine". Thats bull. You alway have to keep in mind recovery-the time when you grow. A lot of pre-aas BB's used to only train three days a week. Chuck Sipes for one and he benched 570 at 220 raw. KISS Handzilla, KISS

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
You alway have to keep in mind recovery-the time when you grow.
That's why I give everything a week to recover. I just want to make sure I'm hitting everything hard enough, though.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro just ask whatever questions you have.

Don't be dumb like me and waste 10 years of working out the wrong way and eating the wrong way.

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
That's why I give everything a week to recover. I just want to make sure I'm hitting everything hard enough, though.
But recovery is more then one body part. It's also the whole body. Your CNS doesn't know bi's from chest, but it does know energy. So just because you work a Bodpart every week does not mean your not overtraining. How many days off are you taking?

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
But recovery is more then one body part. It's also the whole body. Your CNS doesn't know bi's from chest, but it does know energy. So just because you work a Bodpart every week does not mean your not overtraining. How many days off are you taking?
Energy is something I have plenty of. I give my whole body 2 full days of rest.

R

Renton405

Awards
More compound exercises and less isolation...5-7 sets...Heavy AND light weight...remember lighter weights give you better full range of motion usually and a good pump....do both

Also try widening your grip on the barbell when doing bench presses, hits the chest more

Another good technique that gets it to grow is to do a compound set and then go immediatly into an isolation set...For instance do heavy bench press, when you reach failure immediatly do flys...

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
pyramiding reps is dumb imo just go as heavy as you can for lower reps and 2 full days of rest a week is not that much, i get 3 many people get 4

M

MMA

Awards
You are having a argument with people that know yet you weigh 170 and you can't figure out why you aren't growing. Low volume high intensity and diet.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
The way I broke through is a volume routine... but not THAT much volume... jeez

I'm doing one big compound movement; I alternate each week between 2... i go for 5-6 reps for 3 sets...
then after that I do another compound movement from a different angle for ~8reps for 2-3 sets... then thats pretty much it, i do a few more isos and i'm done... not to failure except sometimes on the last set

My chest routine from last week:
3x6 Incline DB
2x8 Decline BB
3x8 Skullcrushers
3x8 Dumbell Pullovers
3x8 Tricep Isolation Pulley
3x8 Cable Flyes

I'll mix it up and throw dips in there or make Declines my primary compound, etc... its worked pretty well; I've gained tons of strength

H

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna put all this knowledge to use tomorrow.

Incline 10,6,6,4
Flat 6,6,4
Dips Weighted 10,6,6
Pec Deck or DB Flies 8,6,6
BB pulovers 10,8,6

Better?

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
No. Your still doing too much. And two days rest...Sat and Sun? I'll say this again "people with better genetics then you do less". But you'll say "They have better genetics then I do so it's easier for them to gain muscle. So I have to work harder." No you have to work SMARTER. That means knowing that your recovery is not so great as to gain off a extremly high volume routine. And 16 sets of chest is still to much. Max 10 sets. Best 5-7 sets.

K

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
incline db
flat bar
dips (weighted if you can)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yes, even gear and A+ genetic BBr's only do once a week. Some people even do once every 9 days.
I've tried to rip-off an HST principle, since I'm too much of a pussy to try it full-on. Here's what I've been experimenting with.

Mon: (Chest)
4 x Incline BB Press
4 x Flat BB Press
4 x Incline Dumbell or Upward Cable Crossovers
3 x Dips or Cable Crossovers

Wed or Thurs I'll add another quick chest workout in with my normal shoulder workout. I'll do 2 sets of either incline bb press or flat bb press. That's it, two sets. It's for hormonal stimulation.

The first week after doing this I hit a PR on my incline BB Press (I'm weak on Incline BB Press :() 235 x 8 and then jumped up and did about 4 reps at 245lbs. Now, for me that's great! I'm very fast twitch and after my first explosive set, I'm usually DONE and my lifts go downhill from there. So to do 4 more reps of 245 after a heavy set of 235 is unusual. I'll see how all goes next week, hopefully it was not a coincidence.

Just a thought ;)

Other than that, I agree that it's all about the negative! I do 2-3 down and then explode up. I don't see the point in pushing up slowly...:think: 15 sets max is a good number. Maybe 18-20 on cycle, but never 26 sets :p

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
why pyramid? its pointless and a waste of effort

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
why pyramid? its pointless and a waste of effort
Pyramid? Me? No...I don't pyramid ;) I was just suprised I got 8, so I went up in weight to see how it went...I'll be starting at that weight this week :D

B

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you want to experience strength and size increased, keep your weight and intensity high and your sets and reps low. Ditch the 10-rep sets. Compound motions produce much better growth. If you feel you must isolate, do it at the end of the workout. Cable presses, chest pres machine, etc., are all isolation exercises.

Here’s my chest workout. It’s simple, very effective, and doesn’t injure me:

* I start each new exercise (save dips) with a short warmup set.

** I do rotator cuff exercises between each set with 5-lb dumbbells to keep my shoulder capsule warm and reduce chance of injury. Since beginning this protocol (6 months + ago), I haven’t had any shoulder problems, and I’ve been able to steadily go up in weight.

EXERCISE :SETS :REPS

DB Incline (30 deg.) Bench: 3 :6, 6, 4

Decline BB Bench: 3 :6, 6, 4

Weighted Dips: 2 :6, 4

Flyes/Pec Dec/Cable Cross : 2 :6, 4

Often times I wont even do the iso exercies, and instead do a couple extra sets of bench or dips.

I do this once per week. My chest also gets slightly hit on tricep day, when I do dips again (with different body position) and close-grip flat BB bench press.

Oh--I saw the Arnold workouts in new Muscle and Fitness….supersetting Chest and Back, 20+ sets per. Ridiculous!

R

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try this then:

Work sets:
1st set 10 reps
2nd set 8 reps

Dips
1 set 10 reps
2nd set to failure

Done once a week.

Wohhhhhhhh I dont know about 2 lifts for chest haha...I do chest 2 times a week and do 10 sets each time 3 lifts....but thats 2 times a week.

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
sure
the order changes each week and i do 2-3 warm up sets of whatever exercise i start with BUT only warm up the muscle once

chest
flat - 3 sets 4-6 reps as heavy as possible hitting failure somewhere between 4-6 reps
incline - 3 sets 4-6 reps same as above
some type of fly or cable crossover 2 sets 4-6

that's it i also do bi's on chest day

W

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
sure
the order changes each week and i do 2-3 warm up sets of whatever exercise i start with BUT only warm up the muscle once

chest
flat - 3 sets 4-6 reps as heavy as possible hitting failure somewhere between 4-6 reps
incline - 3 sets 4-6 reps same as above
some type of fly or cable crossover 2 sets 4-6

that's it i also do bi's on chest day
Yep

...for mass, I do about the same, but do 5 sets bench including 1 good warm up, up to the max, and drop down a little for last set, 3 sets incline on a 45 so flat part of upper chest is somewhat parellel to the floor, 1 set cross overs.
I just started a newer routine where I do 6 sets flat bench(included warm up), and front shoulder presses(barbell, until the bar touches top of sternum, leaning back a tad), and I am really starting to blowup in the shoulders and chest area.