had surgery... can't lift heavy for 3 months... need help!

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Hey guys... had my appendix removed. The doctor doesn't want me lifting anything for the next 3 weeks, then he said I can lift light. I asked when I could lift heavy and he said, "Three months". :(

Has anyone been in this position before? How do I still make gains? Should I do reps of 20, or would 12-15 range be okay? Help!

Thanks.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
just dont do it for 3 months. kinda sux but think about it. if you go too hard and fuk somethin up, youll be out even longer. just bite the bullet this time, 3 months will go by quickly

pmdied

Awards
Hey guys... had my appendix removed. The doctor doesn't want me lifting anything for the next 3 weeks, then he said I can lift light. I asked when I could lift heavy and he said, "Three months". :(

Has anyone been in this position before? How do I still make gains? Should I do reps of 20, or would 12-15 range be okay? Help!

Thanks.
I had an emergency apendectomy via laprocopic surgey. I'm not saying to ignore your doctor but I was back lifting after 2 weeks and mountain bike racing 4 weeks later. Chances are if you were strong and fit before your surgey you'll mend very quickly afterwards. The only discomfort I had from my surgery was the three tiny incisions in my abdomen and the pain was less than what you'd feel from doing a light ab workout.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off, the gains you are or will be making, is that you are "healing from surgery". Look at that as a gain.
3 months is a very very very short time in a lifters life long endeavor...! It will go faster than you think, believe me.
Heed your docs advice and just learn to be patient. Also try and get in touch with the person inside you that does not think he will lose everything or has to feel panic because of a dip in the road or a few months off. It will serve you better with any distractions you will face.
I have been doing this for years and you will run into pitfalls and reasons for this stuff happening. Take this time to learn a little about yourself and how to deal with situations that don't seem to always go our way. It is most likely happening for a reason, but that is hard for most people to see.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would heed the doctors advice as well, no sense in hurting yourself more cause you tried to rush back. Also if you're doing well in rehab, you may be able to get back into it earlier. When I initially dislocated my shoulder they told me that I wouldn't be able to lift like I was before for at least 4 months. I worked my ass off in PT (with approved exercises) and was back lifting and playing baseball in less than two months. So don't rush it, listen to your body and you'll be thankful you did.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, a lot of time doctors will take longest case scenarios to base off of. Or going by less active people. He'll know if you are ready to get back hard or not. When I had hernia surgery 10 years ago I was out for 2-3 months without any heavy lifting. The time went fast and I learned some new guitar chords too.

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
Don't work out if doc told you not to. It sucks but better to not lift 3 months and lift after, then screw yourself and never be able to lift.

I tore a nerve last summer and was out 9 months. I focused on diet/cardio (hiking and such) and slowly got back in. Got into paleo diet to stay lean Went down to 160 (I was at 185 before) and now been back for 10 months and up to 200lbs, use this time to focus on diet is my advice.

Belies a pic of me at my smallest and one of me taken couple days ago.

Attachments

compudog

compudog

Awards
Just do what you can without hurting yourself, be it walking, 5 lb dumbbell curls or whatever. It's not a question of rehab because it's not that kind of injury, it's more insult so there's no real way to speed up the healing but there are lots of ways to slow it down, overdoing it being really high on the list.

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Thank you very much guys for all of the input.... you've convinced me to take the time off now, so I can push hard again in the future.

I guess I'll be the guy in the corner curling the two & a half pound dumbbells. :02:

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Thank you very much guys for all of the input.... you've convinced me to take the time off now, so I can push hard again in the future.

I guess I'll be the guy in the corner curling the two & a half pound dumbbells. :02:
make sure you slam those beasties down and roar after every set. let everyone know who the apex is

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Don't work out if doc told you not to. It sucks but better to not lift 3 months and lift after, then screw yourself and never be able to lift.

I tore a nerve last summer and was out 9 months. I focused on diet/cardio (hiking and such) and slowly got back in. Got into paleo diet to stay lean Went down to 160 (I was at 185 before) and now been back for 10 months and up to 200lbs, use this time to focus on diet is my advice.

Belies a pic of me at my smallest and one of me taken couple days ago.
That's some serious progress bro! How often did you do cardio during your layoff? 3x a week?

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Thanks.
Take this opportunity to do an unscheduled cut, burn some body fat.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
atleast your doc said you could do some light work. Most doctors would say to lay off working out completely for 3 months.

Go easy and listen to your body.