Week 5-deload
All major movements follow this, accessory lifts are 3 sets 8-12

Twrestler14

Awards
And my goals are to get stronger and all around more athletic for wrestling

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
did you come up with that? or did your coach give you most of the routine. it looks pretty good for a wrestlers goals. got some good power movements with the cleans and box jumps mixed with some balanced strength work

what weight are you competing at?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents:
It does not look bad. The only thing that kinda stood out for me was the OHP's. Unless you are also pressing or doing some jerks when you do the cleans!? I might put them ahead of the (chest work/)inclines on Friday's work, to give them a bit more focus on overhead work and especially shoulder balance strength, instead of 2x on the chest first.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I hate Thursday, power cleans, squats and dl's on the same day is a recipe for disaster, or injury, take your pick...

Twrestler14

Awards
did you come up with that? or did your coach give you most of the routine. it looks pretty good for a wrestlers goals. got some good power movements with the cleans and box jumps mixed with some balanced strength work

what weight are you competing at?
I came up with the lifts with a friend but got the sets and rep scheme from the football program at my school. Last year I wrestled 145but dont know what weight class this year, right now I sit between 157-165

Twrestler14

Awards
I hate Thursday, power cleans, squats and dl's on the same day is a recipe for disaster, or injury, take your pick...
Yea I thought it didn't look good but I want to dl and my friend wants to clean and squat. What would you suggest as a second lower day. And thanks paul black for your input

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah that ^, or do DL's heavy and another compound exercise light. You don't have to hit all the big compound stuff with the same intensity every W/O. If I dead heavy, I usually always squat med to lighter and vice versa.
Also remember, you are not going to catch up or speed up the gains, so to speak, by putting a large amount or say 3 or so pos chain compound exercises, in a single W/O, then not being able to move the rest of the week. Spread the intensity and the med/heavy work and exercises out over the entire week.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the workout plan looks great.

I don't know if I agree on the suggestion of an OHP focus Friday. Wrestlers need a lot of hip and PKC strength for obvious reasons, but outside of that most of their pushing is horizontal, not vertical. Anterior delts will get sufficient work with benching 2x a day.

In terms of Thursday, I don't see a problem squatting and deadlifting on the same day, BUT since you squat on Tuesdays, I would deadlift first, make it a primary movement, and maybe consider squatting after deadlifting and do the squats for speed work. So, you could do them at 60, 65, 70% for 6-10 sets of 2-3, for instance.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think you need power cleans both days. I might suggest something like this

Monday: Box jumps, power cleans, front squats, ...

Thur: Dynamic effort back squat (lower volume, maybe 3 sets of 2-3 reps at 65-70% max), dead lifts ...

I also like the idea of starting with the overhead focus on Friday.

I might caution you that doing anything after a good day of deadlifting or squatting is difficult, so you might want to think about moving Fridays lift to Saturday.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know if I agree on the suggestion of an OHP focus Friday. Wrestlers need a lot of hip and PKC strength for obvious reasons, but outside of that most of their pushing is horizontal, not vertical. Anterior delts will get sufficient work with benching 2x a day.
Well, maybe I should give the OP the reason, why I think you should not neglect the OHP.
1) IMO, Especially for overall balance and power in the shoulders.
2) IMO, loading the entire spine with med to heavy overhead work is always a carryover benefit to any sport.
3) IMO, You don't end up with flexibility and weakness issues later and have to adjust, if you spend too much time horizontal pressing and no OHPing.
4) IMO You can never have enough OH strength and in probably the most hyper extended position with the body, keeping everything tight.

Twrestler14

Awards
I moved ohp further up in the workout to give more focus and also replaced power cleans with dl on the 2nd lower body day. I cant move it to saturday because I work 10-8 but my job is pretty easy so won't matter much