Bulging disk #4 - AnabolicMinds.com

Bulging disk #4

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

Bulging disk #4

So I bulged a disk in my lower back for the 4th time in about 5 years. Has anyone had the same luck as me and what suggestions do I have for therapy? I've never done PT because I think it's a waste I money. This time it happened from deadlifts. I was fully warmed up and was starting at 325 and I knew right away something was wrong and the POP! Cortisone shot and Valium and I'm back to normal. Now is the hard part of not working out for a week or two.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Never bulged a disk, so as far as rehabbing it, idk. But, if you are bulging a disk at 325 that sounds like a serious form issue. Have you ever worked with a trainer? Even the best lifters need a little guidance here and there.
    As far as PT, it's not a waste if you find a good Dr. I've been to a few and it's helped my recovery a bit, so check it out.
    Good luck man!!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

My form has always been good but it seems like after a couple of months of DLing, that my back breaks down and I start having issues. My lower back was feeling really pumped up and I knew I shouldn't DL but I did like a dumbass.
    •   

4. Advanced Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by cainb96 View Post
    Cortisone shot and Valium and I'm back to normal. Now is the hard part of not working out for a week or two.
    I highly doubt that a cortisone shot and valium are going to push that Bulging Disc back in place.
  5. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You need to see a doctor and get an MRI. Not assume and self medicate
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

dude cortisone isnt fixing your back, its just masking it. if anything, youre risking an even worse injury
  7. Advanced Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I've never done PT because I think it's a waste I money.

Cortisone shot and Valium and I'm back to normal. Now is the hard part of not working out for a week or two.
    Physical Therapy can help get that bulging disc back in place.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

I can attest to it not always being from bad form per se. I have pulled #600+ beltless with crappy form and on a number of occasions and walked away fine only to turn around the next week and hurt my back pulling #315 for some reps. Same with squatting or bent rows. Same with my knees, as sometimes I can squat heavy for reps and other times @275 and my knees hurting the next day. Sometimes those pains just seem to come, no matter how close you are tuned in.

It is really no different to me than people bending over in the office to get a pencil. You do it 1000 times and you're fine, then 1001 it shoots you a pain.
  9. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    I can attest to it not always being from bad form per se. I have pulled #600+ beltless with crappy form and on a number of occasions and walked away fine only to turn around the next week and hurt my back pulling #315 for some reps.
    Yea maybe the damage was being accumulated from all those times deadlifting 600+ with Crappy form.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Well, it is a hard argument for me, as I know guys (and girls) who have low and upper back issues, that never lift at all and are say office workers. I'm just not sold on the entire bad back syndrome thing. I have been thru a lot of it in differing times of life and it's consistency to me and when it comes on, is quite sketchy to me personally.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

I'm gonna talk to my dr and chiro and see what they can offer. My biggest prob is gonna be being inactive for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking I can still do some bi/tri, shoulder work outs. May some leg extensions?? I'm a hard head I guess.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Def go to chiro. Have you had xrays? Medications are just a crutch and pt is a waste of time and $. (Speaking from experience).
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked442 View Post
    Def go to chiro. Have you had xrays? Medications are just a crutch and pt is a waste of time and $. (Speaking from experience).
    I agree 100%! Thanks everyone!!
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

definitly need the help of a pt if this has been a recurring issue for the last 5 years. A Doctor 1st to determine the severity and if its a structural problem that needs to surgically be fixed, A PT second to begin the slow process of figuring what muscle, acute or chronic issue not only lead to the spine pathology but to examine and ensure your movement pattern is fixed. Lastly a trainer or a friend who knows their stuff and can be that guide that keeps an eye on your form and can tell you where and when technique suffers. Just my 2 cents but lifting shouldnt even be a concern ATM when everyday function is on the line. Surprised they only gave ya Meds. Guessing the 1st task has been done but a good PT is needed I believe
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I agree 100%! Thanks everyone!!
    If it's a bulging disc it's going to take a lot more than seeing a chiro...

I have 2 MRI's, first one showing a bulging disc, I then took a year of trying laser therapy, working out around it, seeing a chiro 3 times and trying physical therapy.

None of it worked, the laser therapy and chiro made it worse, I had another MRI done, now had 2 bulging discs and the pain was much worse. I took time to really stop lifting for a couple months, I rested for a month, than started focusing on reverse hypers, back extensions, plank and side plank. That worked better than anything. I'm now at the 3 year mark since this first happend, I do not feel disc pain or nervs going off down the back of my legs anymore. My back does bother me sometimes but nothing like before.

My advice is rest it for a bit and get an MRI before making it worse. I know back pain sucks, I wish you good luck and hope your back heals up soon.
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  16. New Member

Does anyone know how much MRIs cost? Just curious.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.

Depends state to state in terms of reasonable and customary (think thats the spelling) costs and body part scanned. I want to say its going to cost over $1000 but hopefully you have insurance to use for the most of it.

Contrast/ No contrast, and past surgeries play a part as well I believe.
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Green Bulge
    By Unclemikejones in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM
  2. What Should I Stack With Omega Or Green Bulge?
    By jedeye98 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 02:02 PM
  4. Omega Thunder vs Man Clout vs Green bulge
    By ZoMbSta in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 11:22 PM
  5. Ruptured Disk - What CAN I do?
    By polarbear42psu in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8