- 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM
- 07-06-2013, 05:17 PM
High rep isolation work is the opposite if what sprinters do.
Low rep, explosive movements are the larger focus.
07-06-2013, 05:33 PM
07-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Most good sprinters can parallel squat at least 2x their body weight. Its rumored that Ben Johnson was doing triples with 550 lbs leading up to his 1988 gold (now stripped) medal 100m run. A certain level of baseline strength is needed for maximal power development, and from the research I've seen it appears to be for lower body the ability to squat 2x body weight.
Power is a function of rate of contraction (velocity) and force of contraction (tension)
Simplified, power = speed x strength
So, a good strength coach will have sprinters performing maximal effort days and focusing on building strength just as much, if not more in younger athletes, than power.
07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I remember his coach saying he was hitting around 440 on cleans or power cleans (I can't remember which). He said he shut him down because of fear or injury and the strength gains after about 400 weren't translating into speed on the track. How much is true is any bodies guess.
Similar Forum Threads
- By windwords7 in forum Weight LossReplies: 2Last Post: 01-12-2003, 02:36 PM
- By YellowJacket in forum Weight LossReplies: 10Last Post: 12-07-2002, 03:06 PM
- By windwords7 in forum General ChatReplies: 20Last Post: 12-07-2002, 05:02 AM
- By BrKonman in forum AnabolicsReplies: 20Last Post: 11-14-2002, 02:22 PM
- By whale in forum Training ForumReplies: 2Last Post: 11-12-2002, 03:51 PM