Sprinter bodies

D

dbrodrive1211

Awards
Was just curious as to what they do for their muscle..the big guys..I know where the low bf percentage comes from and alot of them take steroids but what does their exercise,set rep scheme look like?i would think just alot of isolation in the 12-15 rep scheme but I don't know

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely not.

High rep isolation work is the opposite if what sprinters do.
Low rep, explosive movements are the larger focus.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Was just curious as to what they do for their muscle..the big guys..I know where the low bf percentage comes from and alot of them take steroids but what does their exercise,set rep scheme look like?i would think just alot of isolation in the 12-15 rep scheme but I don't know
nope. they do power movements because their sport requires that fast twitch ability. so things like snatches and box jumps

power = maximum velocity, not strength

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most good sprinters can parallel squat at least 2x their body weight. Its rumored that Ben Johnson was doing triples with 550 lbs leading up to his 1988 gold (now stripped) medal 100m run. A certain level of baseline strength is needed for maximal power development, and from the research I've seen it appears to be for lower body the ability to squat 2x body weight.

Power is a function of rate of contraction (velocity) and force of contraction (tension)
Simplified, power = speed x strength

So, a good strength coach will have sprinters performing maximal effort days and focusing on building strength just as much, if not more in younger athletes, than power.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
I remember his coach saying he was hitting around 440 on cleans or power cleans (I can't remember which). He said he shut him down because of fear or injury and the strength gains after about 400 weren't translating into speed on the track. How much is true is any bodies guess.