Can someone help me with my routine? - AnabolicMinds.com

Can someone help me with my routine?

  1. New Member
    thewolf49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    572

    Reputation

    Can someone help me with my routine?


    I put this together. My goals are size/looks, etc. Not too concerned about strength at the moment. Does this look ok? Should I be doing a full body 3 day thing instead, etc. I just need critiques. Thanks!

    Monday: Chest


    Bench Press 4x6

    Incline DB Press 3x8

    Flat DB Press 3x8

    Decline BB Press 3x8

    Pec Deck 3x8


    Tues: Back


    Deadlifts 3x6

    Lat Pulldowns 4x8

    One arm rows 3x8

    Close pull downs 3x8

    Straight arm pushdown 3x8


    Thurs: Shoulders/Arms


    Military Press 4x6

    Lat Raises 3x8

    Upright rows 3x8

    Face pulls 3x8

    BB Curls 3x8

    Hammer Curls 3x8

    Close Grip Bench 3x8

    Tricep Extensions 3x8

    Friday: Legs/Abs


    Leg Press 4x8

    Leg Extension 3x8

    Leg Curls 4x8

    Calves 4x8

    Abs...

  2. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    645681

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    How long have you been training?

    In that training period, how much have you gained/lost?

    Tell us your 1RM on all the big lifts i.e. bench, squat, deads etc.
  3. New Member
    thewolf49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    572

    Reputation

    I've been lifting since high school, but I've been out of the game for a couple years. Trying to get back into it. Because of this, I'm not really sure what my max's are, etc.
    •   
       

  4. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    645681

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    in that case,

    I think you should keep it simple and religious for the next 6-8 weeks. You'll see gains doing anything consistently in this case.

    Some pointers about adding muscle mass.

    1) Intensity is key, but in your case, the act of lifting itself will bring growth and strength.

    2) Try not to think of building muscle as "X" amount of reps, "Y" amount of rest in between sets. But look at it from a bigger picture of "challenging the muscles". You want to challenge the muscle to do something about its lack of ability in a certain area. This is why after several weeks, we adjust our routine to "get out of routine"

    3) Generally speaking, fore muscle growth, you want loads of blood pumping to the muscles which generally means to keep the rest on the short to middle ground in length and keep the average of your reps to around 6-10. I've personally found that covering the entire spectrum works best. For example:

    Chest exercises - start at 12 reps and work down to 4 or 6 reps, then blast with a burnout set incorporating supersets, giant sets and dropsets at various times.

    Legs - Legs love the FULL RANGE OF MOTION, and they also love heavy weight for high reps. 15-25 reps w/ extreme intensity and difficulty will cause excellent growth in the trunks. Mix it up though. Try all sorts of stances to target different areas of the thighs.

    Good luck.
  5. New Member
    thewolf49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    572

    Reputation

    Thanks, that helps. Is there any certain routine you would recommend?
  6. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115626

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Personally, I think your split is not very good. There are much better written routines that will have you hitting the entire body 2x-3x per week and getting much more bang for your buck.

    Maybe look up guys like Brad Steiner, John McCallum, Bill Starr, Mark Rippetoe, Anthony Ditillo, Brooks Kubik, Stuart McRobert, Pavel, et al.

    Like a standard 5x5 or 3x8-10 concentrating on the 5-7 compound movements and adding in arm work and abs at ends. Start quite light 3 sets of 8-10 reps and after you get those easy, add weight, #5 or so pounds. Start within your means and keep your form. Eat well and good food, maybe cheating some on the weekends. Pizza!!!
    Make working out a good habit that way and it will pay off and stick with you for life.

    Monday:
    Squat
    OHP's
    Rows
    Arms

    Wednesday:
    BP's
    Leg Press or maybe deads here
    Chins or pull dwns
    Abs

    Friday:
    OHP's or DB presses
    Bent leg Deads or maybe Leg presses here
    Incline Press
    Rows
    Arms

    Remember to work the largest muscle groups first and foremost ie: shoulders, back, hips/glutes, legs, chest, then the smaller stuff arms etc. to make the biggest changes in your body and fitness.
  7. New Member
    mstrax's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    18

    Reputation

    Thumbs up


    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    in that case, I think you should keep it simple and religious for the next 6-8 weeks. You'll see gains doing anything consistently in this case. Some pointers about adding muscle mass.1) Intensity is key, but in your case, the act of lifting itself will bring growth and strength. 2) Try not to think of building muscle as "X" amount of reps, "Y" amount of rest in between sets. But look at it from a bigger picture of "challenging the muscles". You want to challenge the muscle to do something about its lack of ability in a certain area. This is why after several weeks, we adjust our routine to "get out of routine" 3) Generally speaking, fore muscle growth, you want loads of blood pumping to the muscles which generally means to keep the rest on the short to middle ground in length and keep the average of your reps to around 6-10. I've personally found that covering the entire spectrum works best. For example:Chest exercises - start at 12 reps and work down to 4 or 6 reps, then blast with a burnout set incorporating supersets, giant sets and dropsets at various times. Legs - Legs love the FULL RANGE OF MOTION, and they also love heavy weight for high reps. 15-25 reps w/ extreme intensity and difficulty will cause excellent growth in the trunks. Mix it up though. Try all sorts of stances to target different areas of the thighs. Good luck.
    I completely agree with this. Like he mentioned, consistency for 6-8 weeks will do wonders for you
  8. On my grind
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,979
    Rep Power
    1142096

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    in that case,

    I think you should keep it simple and religious for the next 6-8 weeks. You'll see gains doing anything consistently in this case.

    Some pointers about adding muscle mass.

    1) Intensity is key, but in your case, the act of lifting itself will bring growth and strength.

    2) Try not to think of building muscle as "X" amount of reps, "Y" amount of rest in between sets. But look at it from a bigger picture of "challenging the muscles". You want to challenge the muscle to do something about its lack of ability in a certain area. This is why after several weeks, we adjust our routine to "get out of routine"

    3) Generally speaking, fore muscle growth, you want loads of blood pumping to the muscles which generally means to keep the rest on the short to middle ground in length and keep the average of your reps to around 6-10. I've personally found that covering the entire spectrum works best. For example:

    Chest exercises - start at 12 reps and work down to 4 or 6 reps, then blast with a burnout set incorporating supersets, giant sets and dropsets at various times.

    Legs - Legs love the FULL RANGE OF MOTION, and they also love heavy weight for high reps. 15-25 reps w/ extreme intensity and difficulty will cause excellent growth in the trunks. Mix it up though. Try all sorts of stances to target different areas of the thighs.

    Good luck.

    I agree. Mixing it up and ensuring intensity is high and forcing as much blood into the muscle is key.

    With a dedicated routine and always striving to improve will do wonders.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  9. New Member
    hvylifter's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    36
    Posts
    446
    Rep Power
    290

    Reputation

    I would definitely concentrate on main compound movements which will elicit the most growth. Don't worry about doing ten different chest exercises. Pick two or three and destroy it on that. I mainly do bench and dumbbell flies then to db press when I can't do flies. I warmup and then work my weight up on bench through 4 -5 sets to heavy 1 -3 reps then back down and do a dropset failing at each drop. Then 4 sets to failure with the db fly/press or bands, etc. I used to do a ****load of diff exercises for the same groups 15-20 years ago, but I've since learned quality always over quantity. I can take my time it seems and blast through even my longest leg workouts in a hour. Plus I hit everything once every 8 days and run 15-20 miles a week. The running actually helped my strength because it stimulates my metabolism and makes me more efficient.
  10. New Member
    hvylifter's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    36
    Posts
    446
    Rep Power
    290

    Reputation

    And I agree on the full range. Don't be the guy people laugh at doing quarter squats with heavy weight. Ass to the ground. Go deep and stay light until you can comfortably move up without sacrificing form or depth. You will be much happier with the results.
  11. New Member
    davesah1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  177 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    19
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    21

    Reputation

    You can try mixing in some drop sets or super sets or higher rep sets towards the end to create more glycogen stores in the muscle thus growing it that way too. I mix in medium and high reps to hit the different types of fibers. Although this was probably covered by someone else. Just my two cents.
  12. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    645681

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    So there you have it.

    1) Consistency
    2) Compound movements more important
    3) 6-12 rep range
    4) Full range of motion
    5) Cardio (this actually does wonders at enhancing metabolic activity, getting and staying lean & increase your muscle's ability to burn fat efficiently.)
    6) Incorporate giant sets, drop sets & super sets to exhaust muscles and increase blood flow.

    One last thing that I personally do that will give you an edge in muscle growth if done consistently is to stretch vigorously in between sets. This stretches the fascia of the muscle being worked. I would especially recommend this right before you perform a drop-set, super-set or giant set. The increased blood flow will expand the muscle greater than normal since your fascia has been stretch and is "loose". It works. It also greatly reduces DOMS from my experience.
  13. New Member
    thewolf49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    572

    Reputation

    How's this?

    Three workouts a week, alternate A/B

    Workout A:
    Leg Press 3x5 (no squats - docs orders because of my scoliosis)
    Bench Press 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5
    Leg Curl 2x10
    Incline DB Press 2x10
    Lat Pull-down/Pullup 2x10

    Workout B:

    Leg Press 3x5
    Military Press 3x5
    Deadlift 3x5
    Leg Curls 2x10
    Upright Rows 2x10
    Cable Rows 2x10

    I'm trying to modify the Starting Strenth method a bit to make sure I hit all muscle groups enough. Unless I should just stick to the regular:?

    A:
    Leg Press 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Row 5x5

    B:
    Leg Press 5x5
    Military Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

    ....but where is the hamstring/trap/calves/upper back and outter lat work?? Is this enough?
  14. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    645681

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Hamstrings can be hit in the deadlift if you choose to do romanian or stiff-legs. Other ways to hit them are deep squats (which you should be doing already) and lunges. You can also incorporate the leg-press in your leg routine. In order to hit the hams hard, you can take a high stance on the platform, use very heavy weight and stop the weight 2/3 of the way down, not letting your body "spring" the weight back up. Your hams are designed to "stop" or "deaccelerate" the leg when it is in motion. Doing so under heavy tension means you have to stop the weight, which will remove all elasticity from the movement, and then go back up. This is extremely hard. If you aren't feeling it is the hams and glutes then you aren't going down far enough. Too far down and you begin to "bounce" the weight using the built up elasticity from the movement, which doesn't serve your hams well.

    Upper back will get hit in the row movements, the press movements and the pull-down/pull-up movements. If you perform snatch grip deads and rows you will surely receive lots of upper back development even in 3-4 weeks.

    It's all about learning how to isolate certain muscles. This takes time. In my case it has taken years to learn how to do this correctly and I am still learning how to target muscles even after 7 years of relatively successful training habits ( I haven't missed longer than a single week from the gym since then).

    Traps are hit on upright rows and deadlifts. Don't worry about them so much. Calves...be intentional. Hit them with heavy and light weights.
  15. New Member
    thewolf49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    572

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Hamstrings can be hit in the deadlift if you choose to do romanian or stiff-legs. Other ways to hit them are deep squats (which you should be doing already) and lunges. You can also incorporate the leg-press in your leg routine. In order to hit the hams hard, you can take a high stance on the platform, use very heavy weight and stop the weight 2/3 of the way down, not letting your body "spring" the weight back up. Your hams are designed to "stop" or "deaccelerate" the leg when it is in motion. Doing so under heavy tension means you have to stop the weight, which will remove all elasticity from the movement, and then go back up. This is extremely hard. If you aren't feeling it is the hams and glutes then you aren't going down far enough. Too far down and you begin to "bounce" the weight using the built up elasticity from the movement, which doesn't serve your hams well.

    Upper back will get hit in the row movements, the press movements and the pull-down/pull-up movements. If you perform snatch grip deads and rows you will surely receive lots of upper back development even in 3-4 weeks.

    It's all about learning how to isolate certain muscles. This takes time. In my case it has taken years to learn how to do this correctly and I am still learning how to target muscles even after 7 years of relatively successful training habits ( I haven't missed longer than a single week from the gym since then).

    Traps are hit on upright rows and deadlifts. Don't worry about them so much. Calves...be intentional. Hit them with heavy and light weights.
    Thanks man...so does the routine I came up with look ok?
  16. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    645681

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    For 3-4 weeks, yes.

    Afterwards I would start incorporating a different type of high-intensity, particularly the traditional bodybuilding style lifts with a faster-paced routine.

    Remember, on those low rep sets, make your weight HEAVY. You should be doing 85-95% of your 1RM.
  17. New Member
    thewolf49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    572

    Reputation

    Think I'm going with this:

    Workout A

    3x5 Squat (barbell)
    3x5 Bench Press (barbell or dumbbell)
    1x5 Deadlift (barbell)
    2x5-8 dips (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight dips)

    You can also substitute barbell or dumbbell decline bench press for dips.

    Workout B

    3x5 Squat (barbell)
    3x5 Standing military press (barbell) or dumbbell overhead press
    3x5 Bent-over rows (barbell or dumbbell)
    2x5-8 Lat Pulldowns (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight pull-ups)

    Accessory work (done every workout, can also do 3x/week on non-lifting days):

    -Incline weighted sit-ups 3x5

    Do standard weighted sit-ups if you don’t have a decline bench available, or unweighted sit-ups if you can’t do them weighted at first.

    -Hyperextensions - 3x8

    4-8 weeks into the workout, you can add the following supplemental exercises at the END of the last workout of the week:

    Lying tricep extensions (barbell or dumbbell) 2x8-12
    Barbell or dumbbell curls 2x8-12
  18. New Member
    JoeRich's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  156 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    139
    Rep Power
    155

    Reputation

    stay good in the kitchen that's huge
  19. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by thewolf49 View Post
    How's this?

    Three workouts a week, alternate A/B

    Workout A:
    Leg Press 3x5 (no squats - docs orders because of my scoliosis)
    Bench Press 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5
    Leg Curl 2x10
    Incline DB Press 2x10
    Lat Pull-down/Pullup 2x10

    Workout B:

    Leg Press 3x5
    Military Press 3x5
    Deadlift 3x5
    Leg Curls 2x10
    Upright Rows 2x10
    Cable Rows 2x10

    I'm trying to modify the Starting Strenth method a bit to make sure I hit all muscle groups enough. Unless I should just stick to the regular:?

    A:
    Leg Press 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Row 5x5

    B:
    Leg Press 5x5
    Military Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

    ....but where is the hamstring/trap/calves/upper back and outter lat work?? Is this enough?
    stick to the original. that looks more like madcows btw, not starting strength.

    hamstring = hammered by deadlifting correctly
    trap/lat = pendlay rows and deadlift. youre suposed to do pendlays. not yates, not some rinky dink half bnt barbell row or dumbell row
    calves = useless lol. but they will grow from the deads and the squats youre suposed to be doing. u can always add calf presses though right after your leg press

    can you squat or not? cuz u said no, then changed to yes

    if youre gonna strength train (because thats the type of routineyoure tweaking), u need to learn how to squat, deadlift, bench, and pendlay row correctly. 95% people do all those way wrong
  20. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115626

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by thewolf49 View Post
    Think I'm going with this:

    Workout A

    3x5 Squat (barbell)
    3x5 Bench Press (barbell or dumbbell)
    1x5 Deadlift (barbell)
    2x5-8 dips (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight dips)

    You can also substitute barbell or dumbbell decline bench press for dips.

    Workout B

    3x5 Squat (barbell)
    3x5 Standing military press (barbell) or dumbbell overhead press
    3x5 Bent-over rows (barbell or dumbbell)
    2x5-8 Lat Pulldowns (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight pull-ups)
    2
    Or you could do the "deadlift" and the "leg press" (after deads) in "B", especially after your squat in "A", gets up into areas where it might be hard to give them (squat and dead) both good attention in the same workout. If you want ham work in "A", you could do some lighter RDL's or maybe even a GHR or something.
    Then 3 days a week would alternate each week ie:
    Monday A
    Wed B
    Fri A
    Mon B
    Wed A...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Can someone help me with my chest?
    By steviestv8 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
  2. Can someone help me with a CKD diet plan?
    By jon671 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
  3. Can someone help me with the math?
    By EasyEJL in forum Politics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
  4. Help me with my routine!
    By workaholic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 04:44 AM
  5. Can someone help me fix my dumb mistake
    By freakboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in