Knee pain. Need help w Leg workout...

  1. Registered User
    spirall08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    4882

    Knee pain. Need help w Leg workout...


    Unfortunately, I am starting to come to the sad realization that I may not be able to squat anymore. Hurt my knee a few months ago while squatting. Took 2 months off. Tried going back lightly. Still getting pain =(

    This happened with my elbows as I can no longer do skull-crushers. Difference is, Ive found other great Tri exercises and haven't missed a beat.

    I'm desperate for some suggestions on what else I can do for legs, without further injuring my knee. I used to have great quads and have definitely lost some mass since the injury. I know the old saying that squats are critical to growth. It sucks not being able to do them anymore. Feels like I am cheating. But at 31 years old, I do not need knee problems.

    I know there have got to be other dudes out there with knee problems who still train legs. Just looking for some suggestions on a new routine.

    Thanks...

  2. Registered User
    kswiss's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Age
    23
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    465

    Just do what doesnt hurt, try some other forms of squatting. Positioning the weight at a diff point could take the pressure off the injury, also would prolly not be lifting with as much weight as you would back squats. Leg press, Romanian deads shouldnt bother ur knees at all. Just try some diff things and see what bothers u knees
  3. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,797
    Rep Power
    115615

    2 cents...

    Yes, I have had knee pain, especially when I first started years ago.
    Here are a few things you might try, if you are still reluctant to give up squatting completely.

    Different shoes or maybe a slight heel or an oly shoe
    Vary stance widths and or foot flare
    Are the knees staying over the feet throughout?
    Don't let your knees torque or twist.
    I use my Rehbands for heavier work
    Have you done any trigger point work or foam roller stuff in the the calves, hams and quads, especially around the knees?
    Maybe Trap bar deads from a deficit still having a higher hip crease
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    nicksox15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    1434991

    Have you been to the doctor? Could be an easy fix. I've had a few knee surgeries and a few months ago started getting pain again when squatting. Turned out to be an easy fix as now I use patella straps and have no pain when squatting. Probably worth getting looked at.
    Product Specialist at Performax Labs
    Check us out at Facebook.com/Pmaxlabs
    Alpha is here! Contact me for more info on our powerful Test Booster AlphaMax!
  5. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Surfside Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297847

    Its time to analyze your technique if you hurt your knees while squatting.
  6. Registered User
    spirall08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    4882

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    2 cents... Yes, I have had knee pain, especially when I first started years ago. Here are a few things you might try, if you are still reluctant to give up squatting completely. Different shoes or maybe a slight heel or an oly shoe Vary stance widths and or foot flare Are the knees staying over the feet throughout? Don't let your knees torque or twist. I use my Rehbands for heavier work Have you done any trigger point work or foam roller stuff in the the calves, hams and quads, especially around the knees? Maybe Trap bar deads from a deficit still having a higher hip crease


    I've tried different stances. Not really much difference. I just bought a foam roller and will start to use that soon.





    Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    Have you been to the doctor? Could be an easy fix. I've had a few knee surgeries and a few months ago started getting pain again when squatting. Turned out to be an easy fix as now I use patella straps and have no pain when squatting. Probably worth getting looked at.


    I have gone to the Dr... they want to do an MRI (which would cost me well over a grand). That or they just tell me to rest (which Ive done already). For them taking 6 months off or stopping weight training on legs all together isn't a big deal. What did your doctor say or do? Just told you to use those patella straps?





    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Its time to analyze your technique if you hurt your knees while squatting.


    Yea dude I'm not debating that my form was ****ed up during the rep/set that I injured it on.
  7. Registered User
    TheMovement's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,441
    Rep Power
    1447816

    What is the pain actually like? Sharp stab, any mechanical impairments during or after certain moves, or any present swelling? Certain combinations could be indicative of different injuries. From ligaments to cartilage at your age all can be factors, and a visit to an ortho can benefit ya more than my guessing. Hope my little bit can help a little
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  8. Registered User
    spirall08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    4882

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
    What is the pain actually like? Sharp stab, any mechanical impairments during or after certain moves, or any present swelling? Certain combinations could be indicative of different injuries. From ligaments to cartilage at your age all can be factors, and a visit to an ortho can benefit ya more than my guessing. Hope my little bit can help a little
    Yea bro its a sharp pain. Under the knee cap. toward the inside of the leg. No swelling that I notice.



    I guess what I am asking is are there any exercises or changes to my form that can reduce stress on the knee???

    For example, when leg pressing, should I point my toes outward? Spread my feet wider apart? Not go as deep? Etc...
  9. Registered User
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    9,086
    Rep Power
    629304

    How do you start your leg day? Recently I have started doing leg curls before I squat. Seems to have made a difference for me. Less knee pain and my hamstrings are growing.
  10. Registered User
    spirall08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    4882

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    How do you start your leg day? Recently I have started doing leg curls before I squat. Seems to have made a difference for me. Less knee pain and my hamstrings are growing.
    Since the injury I start with Leg Extensions. Light weight. 15-20 reps. Just to get the blood flowing and knee warmed up.

    How many sets/reps of Leg curls are you doing?
  11. Registered User
    TheMovement's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,441
    Rep Power
    1447816

    Quote Originally Posted by spirall08 View Post
    Yea bro its a sharp pain. Under the knee cap. toward the inside of the leg. No swelling that I notice.



    I guess what I am asking is are there any exercises or changes to my form that can reduce stress on the knee???

    For example, when leg pressing, should I point my toes outward? Spread my feet wider apart? Not go as deep? Etc...
    Your depth shouldn't drop below parallel but the actual point of injury will make all the difference on where your sweet spot will be. If its a possible meniscus issue then your pain will only get worse over time the more you irritate the joint space. I dont recommend pointing your toes outward just because you increase the amount of force towards the medial aspect of your knees. Thats if its a meniscus issue and immediate swelling will onset when ya do just enough damage to stop and look around like OOOHHHHH SSHHIIIZZZZZ lol.

    Leg press Id recommend a stance just outside of shoulders, but feet a little higher up. Also a great WmUp that will help with some of the atrophy is getting a band and tie it around a pole, bench, or someone willing to hold and looping it behind the knee. Allow the knee to flex forward until ya reach decent length and extend the knee back through. It is a great way to blast those quads especially combined with a 3sec pause. The lowering phase gives you endurance in the hams and glutes if your hip hinge is on point, help flexibility in the achilles and gastro, and does wonders for the quads.
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  12. Registered User
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    9,086
    Rep Power
    629304

    Quote Originally Posted by spirall08

    Since the injury I start with Leg Extensions. Light weight. 15-20 reps. Just to get the blood flowing and knee warmed up.

    How many sets/reps of Leg curls are you doing?
    2 light warm up sets then I either pyramid up in weight 12, 10, 8, 8 or just do 4 sets of 8 slowly adding 5 pounds a set. On the last set I do 25 partials at the bottom of the rep.
  13. Registered User
    nicksox15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    1434991

    Quote Originally Posted by spirall08 View Post






    I have gone to the Dr... they want to do an MRI (which would cost me well over a grand). That or they just tell me to rest (which Ive done already). For them taking 6 months off or stopping weight training on legs all together isn't a big deal. What did your doctor say or do? Just told you to use those patella straps?

    My doctor had me stand and squat my bodyweight. He then placed pressure at the bottom of my knee cap which actually felt a lot better, and that's why he suggested the straps. I've had surgery on that knee twice already so it was nice to have some relatively easy relief. What did your doctor tell you besides that they want an MRI. Everytime I have had an MRI it was to confirm a suspicion that the doctor had after assessing me in the office.
    Product Specialist at Performax Labs
    Check us out at Facebook.com/Pmaxlabs
    Alpha is here! Contact me for more info on our powerful Test Booster AlphaMax!
  14. Registered User
    Jericoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    35

    Check into getting some knee sleeves, they cured my knee pain.

    If you get some, get blue rehbands, they are the only ones that are worth it.
  15. Registered User
    spirall08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    4882

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
    Your depth shouldn't drop below parallel but the actual point of injury will make all the difference on where your sweet spot will be. If its a possible meniscus issue then your pain will only get worse over time the more you irritate the joint space. I dont recommend pointing your toes outward just because you increase the amount of force towards the medial aspect of your knees. Thats if its a meniscus issue and immediate swelling will onset when ya do just enough damage to stop and look around like OOOHHHHH SSHHIIIZZZZZ lol.

    Leg press Id recommend a stance just outside of shoulders, but feet a little higher up.
    Thanks bro. Gave legs a shot today. No squats. After warmup I hit leg press, lunges, leg extension and hamstring curls.

    Leg press I put my feet higher up. Shoulder width. Avoided pointing my toes outward. I actually thought that was better for the knees. Currently icing my knee as a precaution. Lets see how things feel over the course of the next few days.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jericoe View Post
    Check into getting some knee sleeves, they cured my knee pain.
    If you get some, get blue rehbands, they are the only ones that are worth it.
    Ordered. Thanks for the suggestion. Lets hope they make a difference...
  16. Registered User
    TheMovement's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,441
    Rep Power
    1447816

    Awesome Im glad you were able to finish through ok, and oh yea Icing is always advised lls
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  17. Registered User
    hvylifter's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Age
    36
    Posts
    446
    Rep Power
    288

    I would continue to try different variations of foot width and angle plus different heel heights. My knees hurt the first several years of squating to the point of difficulty walking. I've had many back, knee, elbow, wrist injuries/pain. Work through it. Do 135 if that's all you can do without pain. Warmup allot or do Squats last (usually should be first imo). Course I'm ocd, stubborn, bi polar, nuts, etc. I'd say it will get better with time, mine always has.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Need help with legs!!!
    By lift or die in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 03:39 PM
  2. need help with new workout
    By getbigbyjune in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 12:03 PM
  3. need help with new workout program
    By jeromybourque in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
  4. Experiencing Joint Pain - Need Help ASAP!
    By MuscleGuyinNY in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
  5. Need help with my workout.
    By vincehaveph8 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in