Opinions on Squat/Leg day?

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I started a new full time job last Monday working for a commercial lawn care and landscaping company. 6:30 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday...hard work. I'm a designated weedeater and edger, and like I said, it's commercial. Hospitals, apartment complexes, college campuses, etc.

What're y'all's opinions on doing leg workouts while having a job like mine? I GPS'd one of the apartment jobs and I walked 2 miles in that one job, and it was over 6 miles for the day.

I don't think it'd be good to have sore legs while I'm carrying a weedeater for 12 hours in 90+ degree heat, but that's my opinion.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ive been an hvac installer/service tech for nearly 15 years and have yet to let my career disrupt my training

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
ive been an hvac installer/service tech for nearly 15 years and have yet to let my career disrupt my training
Can't dispute that at all, haha. I'm just trying to decide if hitting legs today is a good idea or not. I want to and need to, so I probably will.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I didnt know every strong squatter and thick thighed bodybuilder worked desk jobs. Suck it up and squat. I'll get the crap kicked out of me at work and I'll still deadlift and squat. Welcome to life! The legs are built for endurance. What about people that walk everywhere. maybe they shouldn't train legs in case they have to walk to work in the morning. :) Walking around could actually help your recovery.

My job deprives me of proper nutrition and sleep sometimes. It doesn't stop me.

Attachments

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I didnt know every strong squatter and thick thighed bodybuilder worked desk jobs. Suck it up and squat. I'll get the crap kicked out of me at work and I'll still deadlift and squat. Welcome to life! The legs are built for endurance. What about people that walk everywhere. maybe they shouldn't train legs in case they have to walk to work in the morning. :) Walking around could actually help your recovery.

My job deprives me of proper nutrition and sleep sometimes. It doesn't stop me.
Good points, very good points. I'm about to go up there and kill legs, and abs. I actually don't think my new gym has a power rack though, now that I think about it. Oh well, I'll make do.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Heck yea, and recovery aids and a electrolyte replacement (Frozen Gatorade or Poweraid 4 work days) to ensure your not in overkill mode and ya should be fine. It worked for me when I was in the same employment.

PROness

Awards
Be a mover like me and then youll know what muscle soreness hell is like.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The walking and activity is good for recovery. And, you'll adapt. First couple weeks might suck, but you'll adapt.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Yeah, this is my second week and it's pretty rough. Using muscles I've never used lifting weights, like the one in your forearm near the elbow.

To put it in perspective, when I measured on 6/6 my forearm were 11.5" and last night they were 12".

I did do legs Saturday night and they weren't too sore until I had to carry a 20lb back pack blower up and down every set of steps, and curb at a 18 building apartment complex.

Electrolytes: our crews go through roughly 24 gatorades a day (12 man crew, split into 2). I also bring a 3L water jug with 2 scoops BCAA's to work every day and drink on it all day.

Loving the job though, we've landscaped the last 4 days (trimming, raking, mulching, etc) and my back, shoulders, and forearms have had a helluva workout.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try to add about 1g of salt (which will give you roughly 400mg of sodium) to each liter of water to maintain electrolyte balance if you are on a low salt diet. Otherwise, some salty foods at lunch and snack and you will be fine with electrolytes.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
24 gatorades a day (12 man crew, split into 2).
becarefull with the G, my buddy went on a camping 4x4 trip with me and was "clogged up" after our trip cause all he drank was gatoraid :shocked: i told him to drink more water

craig77

craig77

Awards
Train legs on a Friday then have a sock in the bath sat and sun ur legs should be ok by Monday for work mate

compudog

compudog

Awards
By all means don't do it. It sounds way too hard.

haling 036-small.jpg

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
I did squats and deads yesterday. I'm about to go run 5 miles. I think you will be ok, maybe a little uncomfortable, but fine. Training comes before everything in day to day life.