Periodization training

Christurner14

Awards
Hi all, was thinking about having ago at periodization soon, I've tried to to some research and I was thinking would it be okay to take this approach....one week 15-20, week two 8-12, week three 5-8 and continue cycling?? Any help would be grat guys thanks!!

pistol345

pistol345

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of ways to do it... but id recommend going for at least 2 weeks at a certain rep range before decreasing. I like going for 2 or 3 weeks at 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 3-5, 1-3.

Last time I did that, my bench went up 30 lbs in like 8 weeks. Good stuff

Christurner14

Awards
Just want to add a little more size and strength to be honest size mainly

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ok, so then the majority of your work should be hypertrophy focused. In that, the major training goal should be to add volume over the course of several workouts. You might want to do something like

Hypertrophy focus 1:
Week, sets, reps, rest
1: 3 x 10, 60
2: 3 x 12, 60 (try to increase reps with same weight)
3: 4 x 8, 90
4: 4x 10, 90 (increase reps with same weight)
5: 5 x 5, 180-240
6: 6 x 2, 120-180

I would run the same major exercises all 6 weeks (bench press, squat, deadlift, over head press, etc.) and change the assistance exercises every 2 weeks. Very basic, and should produce some good results for a novice lifter.

Christurner14

Awards
Thanks for the help man, Il give it a shot :)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No prob, and to clarify, those setxrep schemes were intended for the primary movements. Assistance and core movements you'll probably want to keep between 2-4 sets and 5-15 reps