Over training question

jdean321

Awards
If I do a muscular endurance activity that trains type 1 fibers on day 1, then train type 2 fibers the next day is this a bad idea? (I would like to do a HIIT involving lots of burpees but tomorrow I lift upper body)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's not how overtraining occurs and it's never 100% of a specific muscle fiber being trained. They're all being trained, but the predominance shifts depending on the stimulus.

jdean321

Awards
I see. So even though today I would train more type 1 than type 2 I should still give a 48 hour rest until I bench press? Or should I just go for it?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think you are diving too deep with the Fiber Type there

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see. So even though today I would train more type 1 than type 2 I should still give a 48 hour rest until I bench press? Or should I just go for it?
Depends on your level of conditioning and what you actually did. Stating simply fiber type doesn't give any information.

jdean321

Awards
10 sets of 10 burpees with a core exercise between. I'm well conditioned, wouldn't say a freak by any means but I can hold my own. So basically 100 push ups today then I plan on doing heavy chest and back exercises tomorrow. I am curious if all of the push ups could potentially affect my bench tomorrow?

napalm

napalm

Awards
Imo over training is the boogie man of weight training and real over training is Lactic acidosis. If your diet is right and calories are high enough you can hit the same muscle group multiple times a week and still grow.
Wrong, overtraining is at the CNS level and has nothing to do w lactic acidosis...

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Perhaps we should create a sticky FAQ in this forum

"Read here BEFORE you even think to ask about over training"

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
^^yeah, what he said!

See what I did there!

lboston

lboston

Awards
CT Fletcher said there is no such thing as ...over-training..."it's still yo motha f'n set!"

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
You want to overtrain or you'll never gain size/strength/endurance. Under training and training are synonymous.

lboston

lboston

Awards
You want to overtrain or you'll never gain size/strength/endurance. Under training and training are synonymous.
Exactly.
Don't injure yourself, but don't be afraid to push the limits of your mind/ body. I've been hitting arms three times per week lately...never looked better in the sleeves.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I think the term is used a bit loosely in gyms but an actual OTed state was mentioned above and is one of a systemic nature, not just a group and or muscle training per se.
I think Siff went into this in Supertraining.

An actual OT state is not easy to bounce back from, or at least not a few deloads and you're fine. Chronically OTed effects the system in a breaking down way.
Effect and or impairment "can be" in...

Coordination possibly
Blood pressure
Endurance
Sleep requirements
RHR
Body temp
Appetite
Metabolism
Muscle aches
Resistance with immune system
Recovery time