Joint/Tendon Issues

TylerDurden7

Awards
Hi everyone, I hope all is well. I've been training for 10+ years now, and recently my knees, elbows, shoulders, and wrists are prone to flare up after a heavy session. I love going heavy as most of us do. However, recently I've been considering switching my routine up and trying to focus more on an overall fitness oriented goal. I want to be able to be fully mobile and certainly don't want to get a knee replacement anytime soon. I have used support gear, but still manage to get something jacked up. Is it possible to maintain mass by drastically decreasing workout loads while increasing reps during a set and increasing the volume of sets? I was thinking about working in the 20 rep range. Thanks to anyone for input.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Man you've got to heal. If it means lighter for a bit then that's the plan. You won't turn to dust and blow away

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man you've got to heal. If it means lighter for a bit then that's the plan. You won't turn to dust and blow away
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Been lifting pretty heavy for 10 years now. Starting to get flare ups in my knees, elbow and shoulder. I've even taken 2 months off recently and the pain still comes back.

TylerDurden7

Awards
Yea, I suppose it is best to air on the side of caution and go lighter. Also I've wanted to increase my muscle endurance. So maybe having to train in the higher rep range could be a blessing in disguise.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really do not see keeping mass a problem with higher reps and in fact, that is what many BB'ing programs are all about. Now, if you would have asked about keeping 1RM's as high, as you probably know, most likely not. But a lot will depend on the diet there.

You may be surprised that just a break form the heavy lower reps might have you bouncing back and in a few months or what have you, back into some heavier territory.
Also, what if any supps are you taking for say joint support?

TylerDurden7

Awards
Thank you for the positive spin on the high rep work. I think it will be well worth it. After doing some research it seems like training in a higher rep range periodically can lead to tendon strengthening. As far as supps go I have some osteo bi flex that I have taken in the past and am probably going to start again tomorrow along with some fish oil and a better multi

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I definitely suggest upping fish oil. Been following a somewhat paleo diet and my joints have felt much better even while training heavy and intense.