low calories burn when lifting weight

  1. low calories burn when lifting weight


    Hi,
    I have a program laid down by a Trainer to help me get my biceps/shoulders/tricepts look "cut" (that is, with a nice separation between the muscles).

    Arms are small muscles so I cannot expect to burn a lot of calories when working them out.
    However, my heart monitor (which is very reliable) says that after 45 minutes of arms training I burn around 75 Kcal.

    As 75 Kcal is a very low amount, I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
    Note that I can barely get to the end of the last rep (12 reps x 4 sets x each type of exercise), so the weight I am using should be fine.

    Thank you


  2. you are putting to much thought into this.....

  3. You are worrying about the wrong things.

    For one, your calculation may not be accurate-simply WALKING AROUND the weight room for 45 min will burn more than 75 kcal.
    Secondly, workouts devoted solely to arms are of questionable value overall and are certainly not suitable for burning any appreciable amount of calories.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by seasoul View Post
    Hi,
    I have a program laid down by a Trainer to help me get my biceps/shoulders/tricepts look "cut" (that is, with a nice separation between the muscles).

    Arms are small muscles so I cannot expect to burn a lot of calories when working them out.
    However, my heart monitor (which is very reliable) says that after 45 minutes of arms training I burn around 75 Kcal.

    As 75 Kcal is a very low amount, I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
    Note that I can barely get to the end of the last rep (12 reps x 4 sets x each type of exercise), so the weight I am using should be fine.

    Thank you
    You are.

    Focus on major movements, conditioning and eating well if you want to see "cuts".

    Fire your trainer

  5. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Fire your trainer
    that should be the default answer near anytime someone says they have a trainer and they want to ask a question on here. LOL!!
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.

  6. No one should be concerned with the calories burned while doing weight training really. If you push yourself hard on the weights that's really all you can do. And why are you working 3 small muscles in the same workout?????

  7. Quote Originally Posted by sporticuz View Post
    No one should be concerned with the calories burned while doing weight training really. If you push yourself hard on the weights that's really all you can do. And why are you working 3 small muscles in the same workout?????
    What's wrong with shoulders/ arms ....?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post

    What's wrong with shoulders/ arms ....?
    agreed

  9. Just not very productive for strength gains if you ask me. That's just my opinion though.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by sporticuz View Post
    Just not very productive for strength gains if you ask me. That's just my opinion though.
    no hypertrophy?

  11. To a point. I think having a major muscle involved in every workout increases size and strength overall but that's just what I've found works for myself best.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    What's wrong with shoulders/ arms ....?
    Nothing if its a minor focus in the work week. But to build a program with that as a major objective, and to focus several days a week into that objective is inefficient and a waste of time. You want well build shoulders, get strong in the strict standing press. You want well developed arms, get strong in close grip press and pull ups.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Nothing if its a minor focus in the work week. But to build a program with that as a major objective, and to focus several days a week into that objective is inefficient and a waste of time. You want well build shoulders, get strong in the strict standing press. You want well developed arms, get strong in close grip press and pull ups.
    good god i would never center my workouts on shoulders/arms ever lol. I agree with the pullups/cg bench for arms. I love doing pull ups.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Calories Burned Having Sex
    By Nelson in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
  2. Ideas for low-calorie treats when traveling
    By alewisdvm in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 10:45 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 11:34 AM
  4. Calories Burned When Lifting
    By rykertest in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
  5. Bodybuilding vs. Lifting Weights
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Log in
Log in